Anyone wanna help me sort out my Live connectivity issues?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Maverick Hunter Christian, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'm ready to pull my hair out, not being able to figure this out.

I scavenged google looking for answers, but the only problem people with my router seem to have when connecting to Live is NAT issues.

Help?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does the router have the latest firmware? Is it set to the proper wireless channel? I know the Wii is picky about the wireless channel, maybe the 360 is too.

It has to be a router issue.

3. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I used to have ridiculous connectivity issues on my Xbox, but i solved them all by opening up a DMZ on my router that pointed to the Xbox. After that I had no problems connecting to any server and my speeds increased drastically, and I was having duplicate IP issues up the ying yang but it solved that as well... oh yeah and VOICE issues too lol.. I <3 DMZ. Your router might actually be set to block certain ICMP traffic too..

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    I tried updating the firmware on my router a couple of times, I keep getting a memory allocation error and it doesn't go through. Don't know what that's about, don't know how to correct it.

I've had my Wii on my network since day 1, never gave me any issues.

I looked into DMZ earlier this morning, but it was... 2... 3 in the morning and I was far too tired and frustrated to absorb any of it. Not entirely sure what it is or how to set it up properly on my router.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Take a break from it for a while and clear your head.

Then do the following.
    1. Contact Netgear and ask them about the router's firmware not flashing.
    2. See if you can enable DMZ on the router.
    3. Go into the router's console and see if ICMP is filtered.
    4. Edit the settings on your console and assign the 360 an IP Address -just to see if this changes the situation at all. You actually may want to do this first.

6. JinraiPrime

opening a DMZ is generally not recommended for computers, what your effectively doing is taking the PC thats on the DMZ out of the protection/filtering/configuration offered by the router. Excellent for game servers and consoles, horrible idea for PCs I was amazed AMAZED at the dramatic change in performance.. for example RB6 Vegas I used to not be able to host even 8 people after I opened up the DMZ i can host 14 with no problems.

7. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    ...but, if I open up DMZ and point it to the 360 (supposing that works) ...it shouldn't have an effect on the PCs on the network. Am I understanding that right?

8. JinraiPrime

Thats correct DMZ allows you to open a single computer on your network to the evils of the intraweb, all the rest of your machines are no more susceptible than before.

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    Well, enabled DMZ for the 360. Notta. Still failing ICMP.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    See if there's a way to cold reset your router to factory defaults, and then try the firmware upgrade.

You could also try upgrading the firmware differently - I know there are a couple of ways to do it on mine.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think your router has ICMP filtering on.
    Is there a setting for it in the management console?

Do you have enough CAT 5 to hardwire it to the router for a test?
    If you are cabled to the router and still fail at ICMP it has to be the router.

Based on the fact that all the other protocols resolve I believe your router either does not have the firmware to handle the 360's ICMP traffic, or has a default setting to block ICMP.

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    I've thumbed through most every setting on the router's console and haven't come across any ICMP settings; unless for the router it labels ICMP as something different.

My 360 is currently upstairs and across the house from my router (hardly the optimal solution, I know...) Earlier in the day, I brought the modem up here and connected it directly to the 360; passed the connection test and played a little Burnout online.

Then brought the router up here, connected it to the modem up here and had no internet activity. I don't know what caused that... tried the 360 anyway, both connected directly to the router and wirelessly again with it sitting next to the router -- failed the DNS test.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    So, you have this setup?
    NID (Cable or DSL Modem), router, 360?

If the 360 is directly connected to the modem it works, but if the router is in the equation it fails?
    I would say if your router has new firmware, but you can't flash it, then the only step right now is to update that firmware.

I had a Buffalo AirStation that would not flash the firmware.
    Unfortunately, Buffalo had to send me a new unit.

14. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    I think right now I'm just gonna sit on it. I wanna try returning the router to factory default settings; then if that fails, try the firmware update.

But I'm worried about screwing up my PC connections.

So... I guess all I can do is wait until I have some extra cash to buy another router before I try messing with it again, so I don't have to go two weeks without internet if I screw something up.

15. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I was having the same problems with my set up. All my computers run off of the wireless router fine. My 360 will connect to the internet through the wireless connection and sign me on to live. At that point I could d/l anything I wanted from the marketplace or play original XBox games on live. Anytime I put in one of my 360 games I would invariable have troubles with my connection. I would be able to play through some games without problems, but at least once in any given online play session it would screw up bad.

After updating the router and not having that work, doing a reset on the router to factory default setting and trying it wouldn't work, after reupdating the router it still wouldn't work. My solution was to go buy a long ethernet cable and just plug in directly to the router, that worked. Kinda pissed me off cause my computers have been running on the wireless network for over a year now and had no problems like this at all.

Now my wireless adapter for my 360 is just the original XBox wireless router but my understanding was that it wasn't supposed to make a difference using it on the 360.

16. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    Problem solved.

I bought a Linksys WRT54G on sale at Best Buy last night.

Earlier this morning I returned my Netgear router to factory settings and my 360 was finally able to pass all the Live tests. I don't know what was borking up the process, and I doubt I'll find out. I think the Netgear was on its way out anyway; since I'd moved it back downstairs after trying it out up here, I'd suffered incredibly slow speeds, constant disconnects and an often inability to access my own network.

So, in came the Linksys. Got that all setup, 360 found it and connected with no issues. Happy end to a sad, sad tale.

17. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Your using the wireless adapter for the 360 right?? I want to get the adapter but I dont know how well it works and it seems to be going for $100 last time I checked and I was wondering how well does it work?? I plan on doing the same thing and using it upstairs away from the router. Do you get any lag issues on live?? Is it fast on Live with 14 players or upwards??