Anyone track their collecton on ios?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KillBot, Jan 14, 2012.

1. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone uses an iphone or ipad to keep track of their collection. I'm really surprised there is no dedicated app for this. There is an app called DASH but it is not a stand-alone app. It links to a $25/yr website account. There are also various generic list/collection apps.

Right now I have my collection listed in excel. I have categories for condition, needed parts/accessories, etc. There are some spreadsheet apps I was considering such as numbers or docs to go. Anyone try these?

2. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excel for me man!

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

shmax + any web browser

4. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Google Docs spreadsheet for me.

5. JS_Prime

JS_Prime Unamused

I use shmax.

Now I too am surprised there's no iOS app for this. shmax could really make a lot of $$$ if they invested in making their own app.

6. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Doubtful. The cost to produce the app would greatly dwarf any earnings. Even advertising doesn't pay that much.

7. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    ^^^^^^

8. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Shmax for me.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Does SHmax allow you to link it all then take stuff off or does it still take ages to do I soon gave up when I tried to use it I found it incomprehensible and unusable.

It would be easier to start with all and take things off it you have a lot and perhaps easier to add if you only have a few so it would be nice to have that option.

I'd like to use SHMAX but it just confused my tiny mind.

10. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:
    Used to have a detailed and quite advanced Excel document but my computer died on me. Now it's Shmax.

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Ah I sort of see how you can use the search function on shmax a bit better now but it's still going to take me ages if I finish it.

12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I just use photobucket to keep track of my comic book collection, so I can look at it and remember what I already have. I really only use it to track my Transformers comics since it's those that I buy variants and alternate covers of.

13. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Ditto. I've been trying to recreate the format I used. But I can neer quite get it right. I had one that I liked, that was useful, that worked well for me. But now I can't remember what information I kept, what I didn't, and . . . I just can't get it back to the way it was.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    $25 bucks a year to count your toys? Am I reading that right?

15. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    Excel. It doesn't cost $25 a year.

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I only track my collection on discogs, which means my vinyls and cds. But a long time ago I gave up, because it was so much work. My Transformers collection is not worth it, because I can keep track of it by just looking onto the shelf :D 

17. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, I want to apologize in advance for momentarily not directly addressing the topic at hand (mobile collection app) and for the length of this post. Okay, having said that, I may be a bit biased as I've used the shmax database for years, but it isn't as complicated as some folks make it out to be. Now, to some, what I post next might look like a big-assed wall of text, but you really only have to read this once to understand what to do to navigate around shmax.com.

You'll start out here:

Shmax.com: Home

Now, click the BROWSE button found underneath the SHMAX header. It'll bring you here:

Shmax.com: Browsing Products by Toyline

For browsing, on the left side, under Browse products, you'll find three tabs (toyline, form, and mold). Toyline is chosen by default and, for most users, it's the one best used to browse around the database, so we'll start off there.

You'll find that toyline is broken down by country, starting with Argentina and ending with Venezuela. Click on the plus sign beside any country to expand them to see their contents. For example, click on the plus sign beside Argentina and you'll find that Generation 1 appears below Argentina.

Now, if you want, you can continuing clicking the plus sign beside each new subcategory to expand each even further. Click the plus sign beside Generation 1 and you'll find that three subcategories have now opened up (Jumpstarters, Mini-Cars, and Radio AM Robot).

When you've gone as far as you need to, click the name of the subcategory/category you want and it'll bring up that category. So, clicking on Jumpstarters would bring you to here:

Shmax.com: Browsing Products by Toyline in Argentina > Generation 1 > Jumpstarters

showing you all the toys in that category.

Let's say you're done with Argentina and still want to explore without having that Argentina category open (so as to not clutter up the screen). To close up where you were, click the minus tab beside Argentina twice and everything is back to where you started. You can then choose another country, category, or subcategory to explore.

That's about it for browsing.

Now, to add stuff to your collection, you'll have to log in.

So...let's say you want to add bunch of Alternators to your collection. So, click the plus by United States, then click the word Alternators.

You'll end up here:

Shmax.com: Browsing Products by Toyline in United States > Alternators

To add each to your collection, simply click the green “Add to my collection” link found below each package record.

Once you do that, a blue bar will appear. Once the blue bar appears, that item has been added to your collection. That's it...nothing tricky about it.

If you want to fill in the details of this item, click the blue bar and an area will open up below that blue bar. Fill in your details (condition, price paid, date bought, etc.) and then click the blue bar again. You're done...once you've entered information about the item, that information is permanently stored and you'll find that info now present in the blue bar in the form of Condition, Purchase Price, and Date of Purchase. Made a mistake and want to correct it? Click the blue bar again, make your change, and click the bar again to close it up.

If you own a bunch of figures from one line and you want to enter to your collection all at at once, doing it this way is much more ideal than searching for "G1 Optimus Prime", adding him to your collection, then searching for "G1 Megatron", adding him to your collection, and so on. Having said this, the search is a powerful tool as well as it allows you to get where you need to go to in a hurry. Want to find Generations Darkmount quickly? A search for “Generations Darkmount” will take you directly to where you need to be.

Once you master these two things, you're pretty much good to go.

Now, to see your collection in all its glory, click the MEMBERSHIP button found below the header on any page.

Then click View Collection. By doing that, you will be taken to your collection – where you can view it in a variety of different ways by using the Sort by function (there are some cool options in here). Also, over on the right, you'll see a summary of your collection in the form of Fun Facts.

Now, over on the right, you'll find the Browse collection area, broken down by country. This is a reflection of your collection, broken down by country. So, let's say you don't want to see your entire collection at once...you only want to see all the stuff you own from Mexico. Click Mexico. There's all your Mexican stuff. Or, if you want to see only the U.S. Animated Deluxe figures you own, you'd click the plus beside United States, then the plus by Animated, then the words Deluxe Class. There they are. Also, you'll notice the Fun Facts then become specific to the category you're in. Pretty cool stuff...

A majority of users might not really need to do much beyond these two or three things, but there is a ton of other stuff you can do, like browsing by form. Wanna see every eagle ever released?

Click on the Form tab, click the plus sign by Birds, then click Eagles. It'll show you every toy associated with a eagle:
    Shmax.com: Browsing Products by Form in Animals > Birds > Eagles

How about every guitar?:
    Shmax.com: Browsing Products by Form in Musical Instruments > Guitars

Or looking at Transformers molds...wanna see every part that shares the same mold as G1 Prowl's gun?
    Shmax.com: Browsing Parts by Mold in Diaclone > Car Robots > Mold #4128 > Part #2501

Or every bot that has the same body as G1 Bumblebee?
    Shmax.com: Browsing Parts by Mold in Micro Change > Mini Car Robo > Mold #6750 > Part #1222

Addressing your other point - to have the entire database by default marked that you own it would only really make sense if you owned at least half the products in the database since it would take you just as much time to remove the products that you don't own as it would for you to enter the ones you do from scratch.

For those that made it this far, I hope it helped a bit. Again, I apologize for derailing the thread. Thanks for reading.

MIKE
    engledogg

18. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I use shmax and an excel spread sheet.

19. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Shmax, sometimes there's little problems I have but other then that everythings good.

20. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Shmax. When i first started it was pretty damn painful putting in each figure because that was when their servers were still pretty crappy but always loved the over all concept. Since they have made vast improvements to the site and their servers its been a really great way to catalogue imo.