Anyone thinking about buying the new Voltron instead of Hercules?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by micah1199, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

So, the whole key gimmick is just like taking your cats to the vet for a routine check-up?

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    oh goodness......

"Voltron......training your kids to be future veterinarians.....only from Mattel!"

3. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree here. I laughed to when I saw the promo vid Mattel made showcasing that "feature". I really like Voltron, so much so that it saddens me that Mattel screwed up so badly with it.

I am more and more impressed with Hercules, though. I just hope the whole thing combined holds together well.

Here, kitty, kitty, time for your prostate exam! *poke* ;) 

4. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely a valid point...if you bought the FP upgrade kit.

That FP set never really did appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, the FP set is all kinds of awesome - It's the Hasbro parts that doesn't sit well with me.
    If FP were to go ahead and actually make all 5 parts to the same standard then I'd be all over it...I'd have some minor gripes about the bots being on the small side, but I'd learn to live with it.

To me the FP kit is something that was meant to go with the classics devastator from Hasbro, and in more recent times the maketoys version of devastator. So my recomendation would be to go with something like that for your collection instead.

Me, I want massive gestalts and I want my individual constructicons to ideally be around deluxe size, but not taller than than my United Megatron and these guys do just that. Are they on the big side of things? Absolutely - too big to fit in to a classics collection? Not mine at least. I just hope that they carry on and make the other gestalts in this scale too.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, because I have no interest in Voltron.

6. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree, the Matty Voltron just looks too plasticky/toy-like for my taste.

I've always thought Devastator was cooler, anyway.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

im good with the white colored voltron. he's toon accurate. :p 

he will tower over every other toy i own as defender of the universe.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I remember of seeing that Voltron, it wasn't impressive enough to warrant the cost. I also care about TFs way more than Voltron, so it was never a question for me.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Gee, I wonder what the members of a Voltron message board would say when asked the same question.....

10. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What is the price for the Voltron lions and pilots?

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

At least $300 from what I've read.

12. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i was considering it seriously, but like others said, its too plastic-y and the poseability seems limited for the lion modes. also the figures fitting into the lions seems wrong and really 'toyetic', like its geared more toward a childs plaything rather than an adult collector item, despite the subscription and price point. id rather just get the non transforming articulated figure, even though i was a huge fan of voltron as a kid. theres a new series coming out with new toys, the new lions look kinda cool although the cartoon looks like crap, but if i get a transforming Voltron, im either going vintage or retail.

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I'm getting both.

I put in my subscription the other day for Voltron. Even though its quite expensive at $300, I just couldn't say no to a 2 foot Voltron(taller than Fort Max!) and the Voltron Force team. I was initially disappointed by the lack of chrome but he looks pretty damn toon accurate as is. And the Q&A with CollectionDX sounds like he'll be pretty sturdy and quite poseable to boot.

I'm also getting Hercules for a nice price with no import markups. About $60 shipped to my office in China. So I'll be paying $360 for that. Win-win for me. :thumb 

14. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I was a little tempted by the Mattel Voltron toy, but I need to get my collecting under control. So no, I'm not getting it. I'm also not very impressed with the new Voltron cartoon either. I actually liked the Vehicle Voltron much more than the Lion Voltron. I had the Vehicle one growing up, while many of my friends had the lion version. If they release that one, I may have to get it for sentimental purposes.

Hercules looks pretty awesome, even though the price tag is insane. My vote would be for Hercules, however.

15. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $290 plus taxes (and shipping IIRC).

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Yea, to be honest, Lion Voltron is played out (as cool and iconic as he is). Vehicle Voltron seems to get the short end of the stick in terms of fan enthusiasm, which sucks because it was a solid design and would translate very well as a modern toy. The original toy is pretty damn cool. Lots of pieces, though.

17. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    i was thinking about getting both...then i looked at pics of Mattels Voltron...yikes...looks REALLY cheap, like a Lil Tikes toy...i'll stick with my grown up Masterpiece version...its almost perfectly in scale with Herc

18. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

No its Bruticus that is to small and out of scale, Hurcules fits perfectly with classics for what he is.

On topic, very little love for that voltron so getting it vs a 3rd party product that may or may not see the light of day again. Easy choise Hercules all the way.

19. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, they really failed on that point, considering it was marketed to adult collectors.

The cartoony look works for the MOTUC and Ghostbusters lines, I guess, but not so much for this.

I would want a Voltron to sort of be in scale with Hercules, Faith Leader, and the Henkei/Classics TFs I have anyway. This one is just too big.

20. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Might have to check this out... one day.