Anyone Think Scalpers Are Using The Sightings Board To Find Figs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love these small minded simpletons that think since scalpers are a problem for them, they must be a problem for all. :rolleyes2 

You know, people, it could be that, instead of 'teh evul scalpers' getting the toys, your local stores havent' put them out yet. I know that's the case here. Or, it could be that your stores aren't going to get them at all.

The bottom line is, these are new toys to the market, just released. Give them some time. Hell, I was panicking, hunting for a concept BB, but I was patient, kept up the hunt (which is apparently a lost art anymore) and was rewarded.

I'm seeing a lot more of a nasty attitude around the collection forums these days. It's the whole 'if something isn't on the shelves when I go looking, it's the end of the world' mentality. Well, guess what, there are many other reasons why a toy isn't on the shelves aside from scalpers. To immediately jump to that conclusion is foolish.

Now, instead of whining on the forums, how about getting up and going hunting? You want that toy so bad, then get to the Targets when they open. Show up at Walmart at 11 pm when they're wheeling out the toy restock pallets. In other words, don't sit around and just wait for it to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  2. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I saw several of them and if anyone is in the midwest who needs help finding one PM me and I might be able to help you.

3. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Bravo Laser_Optimus! That needed to be said.

When I read all the anti-scalpers posts, I usually say to myself: how I wish my collecting problems were just the scalpers ... how I wish the market I live in the art of scalping made sense ... 'cause it would mean there'd be toys at reasonable prices in toy stores. :( 

During my visit to the US for Botcon '07, I only had to resort to scalper prices in the convention for four items: Voyager Megatron and Robovision Prime which were too new, and Alt Rumble and Ravage which were too old for me to find in stores. Everything else I got from retail (or close to retail) prices. Heck! I found Classics Devastator at a Wal*Mart and left it there, and got it 2 days later, and I also found Leader Megs (by that time hard to find) at a TRU. :) 

-airfox

4. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I get a kick out of all the people who want to lockdown the boards to everyone but members, or have secret codes and shit in order to relay sightings information... when i can almost guarantee there are people who like money among the social elite that frequent these boards...if you think for a minute there are not members here who love making a quick buck but keep that fact well hidden to avoid condemnation from the forum judges *scoff* well that just simple minded.... Capitalism and the tantalizing prospect of making a turnaround on buying multiples of a toy... especially for a collector is often to sweet a choice to pass up... these people are getting the figures they want.. and its not costing them a cent.. their toys are free because they turn profit on selling dupes... I always love seeing the collection whore vs. scalper debate and which one is actually in the "wrong"... neither are really in the wrong only wrong in the eyes of the frustrated, and a LOT of the first freely admit they do it on these boards, and that is a more widely accepted practice than scalping.. The breakdown is like this

I am a collector and I make money, so its my right to spend that money on multiples of a figure so I can both enjoy it, preserve my investment, create a new and original toy or enjoy it from multiple poses/forms etc.

I am/am not a collector, and as a member of a free society based on capitalism I have the right to use my money to purchase whatever I want, in any quantity I desire unless limited by the retailer I am purchasing from. I then have the right to resell what I have purchased for any price that the willing public wishes to pay (and they are willing or they wouldnt be buying).

I dont see a lot of difference, and I always manage to find what im looking for without resorting to scalpers, usually thanks to people on these boards, and that being said when my board friend here gets a dozen requests for X former and goes and purchases these with the honest intent of helping out his fellow members.... people who arent in the know will brand him a scalper.. so when does it end? It doesnt.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    You bring up a good point that a lot of people here in the states forget... we get a lot of stuff (even when we pay higher than our retail) a hell of a lot cheaper than what people in other countries pay for it.

All good points.

6. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Scalpers I think want to make quick cash. Using this forum as a resources does take considerable time and effort compared to a direct third party site like eBay or Amazon. This forum will mostly benefit serious collectors because they will take the time and effort to scan through all the posts to find what they want. It takes a lot of labor to do scalping most of the time using this site. As for buying form individual people, I do not think that scalpers would buy by mail because the shipping costs would hurt profit margins.

7. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I don't think they use message boards often. They would normally call the department EVERY night and ask if we got any shipments of (insert rare collectible items here). They also come by almost EVERY night to harass an associate about checking for certain boxes. They're dedicated, but I don't think they go on message boards to scope sightings out. Why do that when you can call the store directly and harass workers? :lol 

So glad I don't work retail anymore...

8. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

If they're using the sales forum to scalp toys(as is being done heavily with Rumble and Ravage, not to mention movie toys) then they're using the sightings forum to find them too.

9. sideswipe21

sideswipe21 With Flare Launcher!

Ebay:
    I don't know how it is exactly in other sightings threads, but in the MN one, I've been amazed at the coordination and cooperation to help out fellow members and make sure people get what they're looking for (e.g. MP SS). And yes....sticking to PMs is a no-brainer imho for communication of important finds.

Sure, I enjoy the hunt, but not all of us are as made of time as others (e.g. business travel, hectic work schedules, life in general, etc.). I'm also sure that peoples' hunting experiences differ from place to place, but maybe some people have seen more evidence of scalpers than others. Yes, there are other reasons why shelves are bare all over, but that doesn't mean scalpers aren't out on the prowl.