Anyone Think Scalpers Are Using The Sightings Board To Find Figs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed!

2. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

No, but there are quite a few people out there looking to make some easy money though.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This whole MP Starscream thing is definitely the most scalper-driven fig I've ever seen, though. A sighting was reported in Ohio of 17 of the suckers yesterday, so I figured since my Mom was going where the sighting was the very next day, I had nothing to worry about-- turns out she got the LAST ONE. There's no WAY 16 $50 toys sold out in one day purely from genuine TF collectors & casual buyers, especially since this sighting was not in a big city...

4. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I've been monitering them on ebay. Check out what those dirtbags are saying about him here

Here's an excerpt:
    The Skywarp the person's referring to is a female ebayer who seems to be a very knowledgable scalper of TF stuffs. So by the looks of it, not only are they hoarding them all, but they're keeping them hostage until the prices go up enough for a profit to be made.

Ironhide knows this all too well...

[​IMG]

edit: forgot to mention

[​IMG]

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Awesome :D 

6. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it me or doesn't that contradict what scalpers are trying to do. If they alert each other than someone else will sell the figure at an enormous price instead of the person who did the alerting.

Or is it an honor among thieves sort of deal?

7. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

a memeber of this site here in utah and I keep in touch through text messaging usually if we see stuff. It works great because if one of us are at the store we dont have to wait to get home and report what was there, we just text each other! Seems like a much better way than to post in sightings

8. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Isn't that what a lot of people do? I think there are a lot of people who buy stuff keep it MISB and sell it later. Check the junkion exchange, a lot of people sell MISB stuff. I'm certainly not calling them scalpers by any means. I have no problem with people buying and keeping them in case they're value goes up, at least it's a gamble. It's the quick turn around and taking advantage of those who can't find them, that I have the real problem with.

9. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I do this with a few other Madison, WI collectors. Works really well. Especially came in handy the morning Best Buy released the movie and Megatron. I was first in line and sent a text to a friend to find out if he wanted me to grab a Megatron or not. He did, so I grabbed two and met him a few hours later to deliver it.

The toy cost $21.20, so I charged $0.80 for the gas to meet him for an even $22.00. :D 

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta love the picture that one of those eBay shit bags posted.

[​IMG]

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

When it comes to scalpers, this board definitely needs more cheese to go with our whine.

12. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Is that a Madison local Pimp? :shock

I also did some quick math and there is about $730 worth of figures just in the picture, who knows how much more that scum has.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'd say this is probably the most accurate statement about 'scalpers' that I've ever read. :lol 

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sometimes I wish I could slap some of the people that post what store has the new hard to find toys. The PM system is so much better.

15. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he was a local, you'd see me driving down the beltline with him duck taped naked to the roof of my car.

In another post, he describes what he has:

Who the hell is that Skywarp! guy and why is he helping these scalpers?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  16. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I think it's a she and, if it is a she, she's probably a soccer mom who's trying to give herself some purpose in life 'helping' those jerks.

17. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope she chokes on them.

18. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:

QF for MF'n TRUTH!!!!!!!!!

I never get why people think there is some evil faceless nebulous that has nothing better to do than patrol message boards for information on the hottest toys, when the scalping/hoarding culprits are active members right there on the boards for the most part.

With all these "scalping" theorists going on...This place is starting to sound alot like star wars boards...and that aint a good thing.

Typical SW post: New Clone XYZ is SOOOoo hard to find!!!! DEATH TO SCALPERS!!! They are Screwing all the TRUE FANS!!!!!!!

next week

Same poster: Hey I was up at 1 AM this morning, and HTS got clone XYZ in stock! I got 20 of them!!!!!!!!!!! I only needed 10 of them, so the others are avaible for trade.

while the utter hypocrisy and lack of logic hasnt reached that level yet...it is well on its way....ex:

Typical TF post: New Tf XYZ is SOOOoo hard to find!!!! DEATH TO SCALPERS!!! They are Screwing all the TRUE FANS!!!!!!!

Same poster: Hey I was up at 1 AM this morning, and WM got XYZ TF in stock! I got 4 of them!!!!!!!!!!! 1 to open, 1 to keep MISB, 1 to customize..oh..(and 1 for trade/let appreciate)

While everone doesnt fall in that category, it more than most people think that do.

Also if people really want to stop the 5% or so of scalpers who arent in the know fans from buying all the popular toys...STOP GUSHING ABOUT HOW GREAT a new TF is, and how youre buying like 5 of them every time a new prototype or whatever gets shown!

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I wouldent be amazed if scalpers check in every now and then to get new toys and I also see what Deathblade comes from. Its fun to see sometimes ppl complain about scalpers but when they find the toy themself they buy 3 for open, misb and trade bait. not all but some do this.

I only get one..no need for more. Unless its vintage combiners ;) 

20. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

I do believe Deathblade wins the prize.

It's really the truth about this fandom. "Hey I saw 10 of [toy] at [store] today. There's still 4 left at the store. I bought 6 so I could display one in robot mode, one in vehicle mode, one to keep MISB and three that are up in Junkion Exchange so you guys who have a hard time finding this guy can get him at cost."

The funny thing is though that it really wouldn't be so hard to find if fans weren't buying up multiples all the time. Sure, it stops the scalpers from getting them all, but at the same time it stops everyone else too.