Anyone Think Scalpers Are Using The Sightings Board To Find Figs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 11, 2007.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    It just occurred to me. What if we're "shooting ourselves in the foot" and scalpers visit this site and use the our very own sightings board to find the figs they sell on ebay?

I think it definitely happens. We might be hurting ourselves by publicly posting rare and hard-to-find transformers sightings. I mean, anyone could come and visit these boards without registering and look at the TF sightings

What if we're doing the scalpers' leg work for them? Just a thought. What do you think?

2. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

No, we KNOW they are using the sightings boards. That's why members in the Twin Cities used PM as a way to alert each other to new sightings.

3. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    We might be hurting ourselves by posting on the Sightings Board. Maybe the Sightings Board should be a members only, password protected area of the site.

Also, to prevent them from registering and using the sightings board right away, maybe they should make it where only members for "X" amount of time or with "X" number of posts can access it.

4. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Well-Known Member

Scalpers would not do that. It would give them an unfair advantage over others trying to find toys. There fore it would be dishonest of them to use the sightings board in such a manner. Even scalpers would not pervert these boards for such selfish reasons.

Of course my thought process here can be WAY OFF.

5. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I NEVER post sightings because I don't wanna alert scalpers. I just say I've found something but I never say exactly where.

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    We need to do something about this. We can't have scalpers using our own boards against us. Are you listening Mods?

The sightings board is hurting us and scalping is becoming more of a problem than it ever was.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd say your thought process is way off here.

8. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seattle area collectors are now using PM's and possibly an email system to increase chances of finding stuff. On the other hand, some of us just pick up the item and meet up to sell it the fellow collector.

There's no way I can think of to keep scalpers from using the sightings forum. Even if you allow only those registered, what's stopping them from registering to view the forum.

Scalpers or not, it's nice that this board is open for everyone to come and interact. I would rather lose toys to scalpers than to see this board become closed off. If that happens than the scalpers win, they've broken our spirits, all that would be left is to break our bank accounts. :( 

9. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Here in Michigan we went to PM's to alert each other about sightings for Masterpiece Starscream.

However, just making the Sightings forum a "Members Only" area wouldn't stop the scalpers - anyone can register to the boards and it's freaking easy.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

Scalpers will still hit up every store and screw everyone over whether there's a Sightings Board on TFW or not. Besides that, it's not like this is the only popular Transformers community which has one.

All eliminating/hindering access to the Sightings Board will do is shoot the fans who use it in the foot. The scalpers have alternative means even without it.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The seniority/post count thing has been discussed before in the Tech Support forum, and the answer from the staff was that it wasn't going to happen, because they wanted the board to be accessible to everyone.

Seemed like they were going to make it members-only, but not sure if that ever happened, and it's not like it would make a difference.

And the PM system works fine. Somebody posts want they've found, and if you want to know where it is, you PM 'em and ask nicely. Besides the Twin Cities folks, I know that some GA fans were doing this with hard to find figs like CC BB, and I'm sure other areas do also.
    I'm sorry that you're apparently having an issue finding toys, but you need to simmer down. Calling out the staff here just sounds obnoxious.

12. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Didn't mean to sound like I was calling out the staff. And I find toys that I want. The whole scalping thing is just getting annoying and I don't see why the loyal, dedicated fans on here should be doing the leg work for the scalpers that's all.

13. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah it sucks, but what can ya do.

PM's are the most foolproof way of subverting the scalpers.

Anything more than that would turn the boards into a somewhat elitist place ("YOU MUST PROOVE TOO MEE THAT U R A REEL FANN MWAHAHAHA!!!1")

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We used a PM system on long island for the '08 Bumblebee and it worked really well. I helped 3 people get a '08 BB after I sighted him.

15. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with your logic though. Even if you eliminate TFW's sightings board, there's still other places with Sightings ala TFans and Allspark. And to top that off, Scalpers have their own communities where they alert other scalpers where merchandise is at. Some even have their own store-informants believe it or not.

So really, there's just nothing that can be done about them snatching up merchandise. The only thing you can do is not support them by not buying their product. Simple as that.

16. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Naaah it is impossible! Scalpers would never look online to help them find toys so that they can continue their evil ways. Oh wait......

17. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

In the California boards, we're using the PM system. Keeping things on the down-low here will make for one less source for ebay scum to get their information. If we can spread word to the other popular TF forums, then we'd be golden.

18. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Personally, I'd just use the sightings to alert others in your area that "toy x" is showing up, but don't be specific about it. Buddy up with people in your area and PM/email/call each other up to help each other out. It's how I get stuff, along with alot of other people.

19. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

You guys are off your rockers.

Do you really imagine that there are people lurking around who are using Transformers purely as an investment?

I would bet money that 99% of the folks on this forum who buy toys at retail price and sell them on ebay, etc. are also collectors and fans.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Obviously you've never calculated the views to posts ratio of the sightings forum. :lol