Anyone think Hasbro will make Crystal Convoy or Ghost of Starscream Classics version

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dragon516, May 26, 2008.

1. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems like Hasbro doesn't make clear figures that often, other than in energon and in Mirage Botcon 07. Does clear plastics cost more money to make or is it some sort of Takara Tomy thing that Hasbro doesn't do? It would be nice if Hasbro or OTFCC made something like the Takara/Tomy clear Crystal Convoy Henkei exclusive or a Ghost of Starscream over here in the states. Seeing how Takara/Tomy had made Thundercracker even though it was exclusive here in the states, I think we should get the chance to get a Crystal Convoy too instead of having to pay the super high price that that figure would see once it comes out over in Japan. Also as a pre-emptive strike, there should be a Hasbro Ghost of Starscream first before it becomes a Takara/Tomy only special.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Its a Takara tomy thing. Hasbro normally doesn't do recolours unless they can call it a new character. Also clear plastic is bound to be more fragile than the normal plastic used.

3. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

I'd be all over a Ghost of Starscream.

4. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:

Or call it the "Nightwatch" version. :) 

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Er... no. In RID we had the 'Super' recolors of Side Burn, Prowl & X-Brawn. In Armada we had the 'Powerlinx' recolors of Hot Shot, Demolishor, Cyclonus, Jetfire, Red Alert & Thrust and the 'Final Battle' recolor of Optimus Prime. In Energon we received 'Energon' recolors of Hot Shot, Ironhide, Starscream & Strongarm and S.W.A.T recolor of Prowl. In Cybertron we received various repaints as well under the names of 'GTS', 'Cryo', 'Galaxy Force' & 'Dark'. Not to mention the Movie's Nightwatch Optimus, Premium Optimus, Stealth BB, Rescue Ratchet, Recon Barricade, Jungle Bonecrusher, G1 Jazz, G1 Starscream, Deep Space Starscream, Premium Megatron, Premium Barricade, Premium Jazz, Premium Bumblebee, Premium Ratchet, Premium Frozen Megatron, Premium Ironhide & Premium Blackout. I'd say that there's more precedent for repaints as the same characters than not.

Now, clear figures... not really Hasbro's thing. That's pretty much a straight up Takara gimmick like their gold & silver chroming of exclusives. Clear Mirage was only done, because the guys at Botcon wanted one for the free figure.

6. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would KILL for a Ghost of Starscream Classic. That would rule.

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Unfortunately, I think it is really, really, really unlikely that Hasbro will ever produce those figures. Remember, Energon Starscream was only partially transparent, and Botcon Mirage was not produced not by Hasbro but by Fun Publications with permission from Hasbro. While not completely opposed to transparent/translucent transformers, Hasbro seems to restrict transparency to very small figures (Robot Heroes Mirage, or the handful of clear Minicons and Spychangers).

Nevertheless, I think if either of those figures has a chance, it is Starscream. Starscream at least has a precedent, and a reason for being clear (having actually been a ghost during G1). Crystal Prime would probably just seem weird to most casual toy buyers in the U.S., who might be unfamiliar with (or at least puzzled by) the Takara tradition of crystal Convoys. And if such a figure did come to be, it would almost certainly be an exclusive of some sort versus (but then, most clear figures from Takara are limited-run exclusives as well).

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a(n affordable) Crystal Classics Prime or a Ghost of Starscream. And I think the latter will come along one day... but I think it'll probably be through Takara or Fun Publications (who has shown that they have no aversion to predominantly clear toys). :) 

Hold on... just thought of something. You know what would be a really cool way for Hasbro to release a Ghost of Starscream? Release him as a Target or TRU-style two-pack with Universe Tankor, re-creating the actual scene from the G1 episode! Make the background artwork the Decepticon mausoleum, with monuments of Thundercracker, Skywarp, etc. Pack Starscream in robot mode and Tankor in truck mode (though sadly, I doubt his head could poke ridiculously out of the top). Heck, they could even release it around Halloween! :) 

[​IMG]
    (Screen capture courtesy of Seibertron.com)

8. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would kill for a Masterpiece Ghost of starscream...

9. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know if we all got together and made a potittion i bet we might be able to get a fan edidtion of ghost of starscream made. I remember a while back on the starwars forums they got together and made something like that and hasbro came out with a " peoples choice figures ". and they got to pic which figure they wanted, i bet we could do it!

i vote for Ghost of starscream maybe even a masterpiece edition!!

10. dragon516

News Credits:
    I think due to cost of the MP and production of a clear ghost of starsream version of that toy might make it pretty tough. It is a tougher sell I think then maybe the classics version due to the price of the two toys. They can probably make a classics ghost of starscream and sell for 30 bucks and a lot of people will buy it, but if they made MP Ghost and try to sell for over 100 bucks, people will not buy it... Just a thought. We should really start a petition if people think that will work. I would really not like to get boned by the overseas prices everytime TakTomy decide to go ahead and produce these limited runs overseas. I think the only people it benefits are the overseas scalpers sometimes (not Bodhar of course). Tranformers in general does not do well over in Japan and I suspect that most people who do get their hands on those Japanese exclusives are turning around and selling it back to the US.

11. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

Id rather have a crystal MP -01 convoy or mp-04 convoy

that'd be hott!! :drool: 

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Nope would never happen.

13. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I highly doubt it. Hasbro did clear spychangers and that's about it. Clear TFs are probably only a collector's thing. If it is just a niche market then mass release on clear TFs from Hasbro is unlikely. I love clear TFs though.

14. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Crystal Megatron with Starscream's Ghost as a Toy R'us Thing.

15. dragon516

News Credits:
    If they would even make it like a OTFCC club exclusive, I would consider joining the club for it.

16. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Yeah..If Hasbro made a clear Classics Starscream, I'd be all over that like white on rice. If only because if Hasbro itself released it, it'd be cheap and relatively easy to find. If Fun Pub. made one I'd still be very very tempted to get one. If Takara made one, I'd have to pass, since it'd probably be very expensive and/or very limited. As for "crystal" Convoys or Primes, I've never gotten the point of those. Sure they look nice, I guess but I don't really get the reasoning behind making 'em. If there is a reason.

And as for the Super RID Car Bros and the Powerlinx and Energon repaints of characters; those were all Takara's ideas. Takara/the Japanese don't like the idea of repaints being new characters. So the repaints were just labeled as power-ups of old ones, mostly. I remember Aaron Archer stating this. I don't remember if it was at a Botcon or when he was posting here as Orson, but I do remember him stating that that was the case.

Anyway, as for answering the question in the topic title..No, I don't think Hasbro will make them.

17. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

WhiteMocha's idea is very appropriate.