Anyone slightly worried about Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Yoakem, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

Hi! If you don't recognize me, it's because I just joined (you might think about adding one of those voice helpers...the captcha was painful and took forever heh heh). I was thinking of something the other day, and realized I had no one to share it with. So, naturally, when I found this place I jumped at the opportunity to chat with some other fans.

I got into TF when my friend convinced me to watch the movie. I liked it, but I wasn't really into it. Then, out of curiosity, I found TFP and gave that a try. I REALLY liked it. I was surprised. But the more I watched, I couldn't help but think, 'wow, they got away with this?' not that I was complaining! heh.

But I started to wonder...what if parents start complaining it's 'too violent'? After all, it is a show aimed at kids, right? I used to be a big fan of another show that got very, very dark. It was fantastic. But after what I assume was a lot of complaints from parents (or maybe ratings dropping, or something else I'm totally unaware of), the next and last season that came out was...tragic. It was a total rehaul. Everyone and every thing was different, sunny, cheerful; the episodes were simple and more like whacky hyjinx.

Is anyone else afraid this might happen with Prime? I wouldn't mind if they eased off a little - I understand that it is a cartoon and that it is intended for children- but I'm almost a little afraid to further invest myself in something that might go terribly wrong like that one show I watched.

Sorry about the length, and I hope I haven't explained myself in a way that anyone might take offense to, or translate into whining. Anyway...I'm off to check out more of the place, and I hope to see and chat with you all soon :) 

2. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Prime's aiming more at a teen (family?) audience, I think - it's not like some cartoons which are pretty childish with occasionally adult or serious stuff going on for any adults that are watching. I think the CG style helps with that - sets it apart from traditional cartoons in the mindsets of parents and censors.

Also, if the movies have proved anything it's that you can show horrific things happening to robots, because robots aren't people so no one cares. ;) 

Welcome to the forums!

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, lets put it this way. I came from parents who like most, were overprotective to the point of insanity when it came to movies, games, etc, and I still managed to watch wrestling on tv, listen to Limb Bizkit on my head phones & play Killer Instinct on my Nintendo.

Also if all else fails, your parents will probably like it more than South Park or shows aimed at adults, or better yet, just watch it via the computer when they're otherwise occupied if whatever time it airs on tv doesn't work. Chances are that unless you run around stabbing your neighbors with a hockey stick, you'll be alright watching Arcee x Bulkhead.

4. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :) 

I'm also a little surprised at what they've been able to get away with so far in Prime. It is darker and has some mature elements that aren't common in shows aimed at children. But one thing it's important to remember is that "children" is a big category. Something that isn't at all appropriate for a very small child may be perfectly ok for a nine year old. I think it should be fairly obvious to parents that Prime is aimed more at the older end of the kid spectrum, especially since the movies have had quite a bit of adult content and that's what most parents will be familiar with. The evening time slot should also be a hint that it's not cutesy-poo Saturday morning fare.

Okay, my curiosity is piqued. What show was this?

5. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Might you by any chance be talking about the 2003 Teenge Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon? If you are, I don't think that show was changed due to parents complaining. I think it was changed to try to get more kids interested in the show.

But as far as the question at hand goes, I'm not worried. If I'm going to be worried about anything with Transformers: Prime, it's that perhaps that network might not make it. But at the moment, I'm not worried about that either.

6. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm perfectly able to watch it without any issues, as I'm in my twenties, but I see what you mean. And, actually, my parents both love South Park, heh! Go figure. One of the neat things about Transformers (I think, anyway, with what I've seen so far,) is that none of their weapons resemble actual guns we use. So even if kids are running around with those Sock-em-boppers trying to blast their friends, they can't very well try to make/find something that resembles the Autobots weapons.

I could be mistaken, though.

But yeah, you're right about that!

You do make a good point. I guess it's just not something I'm used to -I always figured that's what fanfiction was for-exploring the darker 'what ifs.' And I think you're right about the CG. When I first saw it, I was incredibly turned off by it. Then I started watching G1. I think the instant I heard Bumblebee speak, I said, 'Prime it is!' (Since I'm a relatively new fan, Bumblebee speaking -as well as some of the characters original designs- are kind of shocking and unappealing to me. But I'm still giving them a go! just...slowly.)

Also, thank you. This place looks great ;) 

7. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

You make a very good point that I overlooked, since I found Prime just a few weeks ago and have been catching up online and had no idea what it's scheduling time was. I'm hoping my parents let me use the DVR to tape new episodes once they start, though.

Another poster already figured it out (I didn't want to name any shows, just in case it was a) against the rules or b) might bring up some bad blood), it was the TMNT show.

ETA: Thank you for the welcome :]

8. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

You're probably right. I can't rightly remember, as I was never really a part of the community. More of a watcher-and-lurker. But I guess what I read might have just been angry fans, and assumed that's what it was. Error on my part.

Either way I'm really happy with how Prime is thus far, and can't wait to see more of it.

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It airs at 7: PM. I doubt the content is too risky for that time, plus censors apparenlty don't give a duck if the violence isn't with humans.

Also Hasbro Studios is already making a show for younger kids called Rescue Robots so I guess that would also help cover the market of children too young for the show.

10. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

You have a point. As a kid I enjoyed watching a show called SWAT KATS. It was canceled for being too violent. Invader Zim suffered the same fate so maybe Prime will too.

11. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    An interesting correlation. Prime is typically shown in a block with G.I.Joe in it. When I was a kid, my mom wouldn't let me watch G.I.Joe but had no problem with me watching Transformers.

12. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome.

I do think it is in some episodes its a little violent.

For example in Darkness Rising section when starscream killed cliffjumper was a little violent (sp). (My personal opinion).

Side Note:

I noticed here in Dallas, TX TRP is around supper time (6:30 pm), 10:30p.m., and 12:30 pm. So if parents like it or not they're stuck watching it.

Lastly, I'm not worried for future episodes.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah i'm worried about his lack personality. He needs to do more things that help him get a personality.

Wait we're not talking about that? I'm not worried about the show's violence causing it to be cancelled. The HUB is Hasbro's channel, Prime will end when it finishes it stories or goes under.

14. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

He who? I think I missed something.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This Optimus Prime is so boring not as cool as the Animated version. He's also not a murdering monster like the Bayformer version........

16. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    G1 is one of those series that works best if you're introduced to it as a child, I find. If you watch it without prior-experience as an adult it can come off as, occasionaly, utterly un-watchable. There are some gems in there though, and it's nice to see where it all began, you've just got to keep telling yourself it's a kids show from the 80's. Or watch it drunk. :D 

17. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I've heard about these gems, and I mean, heck, I'm unemployed right now, why not? One of my biggest issues is I have a really hard time telling them apart, especially in the movie and G1. I hope more exposure will help with that, because it really takes the level of enjoyment down a notch when I either don't know what's going on, or who I'm watching.

Also, lawl @ Wheeljack. I'm sorry, but that's just ridonkulous! :p 

18. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I can see where you're coming from. I do hope they give him a little more personality in the next season. Don't get me wrong, Prime is and always will be a badass, but this Prime could use a little pizazz I think.

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    You'll have to sift through some real trudgers. As a whole, G1 carries itself more on the concept than execution, I find. There's some excellent vocal performances, too - as well as some hilarious ones. I find it tends to pick up in Season Three, mainly because leaving earth allows for a slightly larger array of episodes (compared to "Megatron has plan to steal energy. Megatron tries to do plan. Megatron is stopped.)

Also, use the multi-quote function on posts if you've got more than one reply. I think you just click the multi-quote button on each post you want to quote, then quote the last one as usual. The Prime sub-forum can be a little quiet between episodes, but there's folks (particularly on busier parts of the site) who'll get heavily annoyed by double posting. Just a heads up. :D 

My only worry with Prime as a whole is not so much that they're taking the focus away from Prime (the producers admitted that Optimus and Megatron tend to dominate if they're heavily involved, so they keep them backgrounded until they need them for plot) - but that I'm not sure the Hub has much else to give. I'm not sure a handful of (really excellent) shows can support a subscription based network, and I'm fearing it'll get shunted to a regular third party network rather than the Hub going into regular broadcast packages. It's a worry, especially because the last good show we had was treated awfully because the networks it was on didn't seem to like it. In the UK, we still don't have anyway of watching prime at all besides our own DarkPrime on the boards here (who is a wonderful person :D ) making HD downloads available and choppy youtube versions - the last show, Animated, was kicking around at nearly midnight on backwater channels with no marketing. A real pity.

20. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

It would be nice to see Prime with a little more personalty.

But we'll see; perhaps in the later episodes.