Anyone seen the Gobots cartoon? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by wolfybulfy, Sep 2, 2006.

1. wolfybulfy

wolfybulfy unethical proctologist

I've never seen one or know anything about the premise other than what might be considered obvious. How does it stack up at all against G1 TF cartoons?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    complete garbage.

3. wolfybulfy

any worse than rid/armada/energon/cybertron?

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It makes the Armada cartoon look like a brilliant masterpiece. The premise is very similar to TF. Warring factions of good and evil sentient transforming robots from space come to Earth and start fighting here. The main problem was the crappy execution of an okay concept.

5. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I did way back in the day, its not too memorable(since I don't remember it very much).

6. wolfybulfy

i suppose that is all the info i need.

7. wolfybulfy

while i'm on the subject, i never saw he-man, thundercats or mask either. i recently bought the heman set (without ever seeing it) and oh man did i waste a chunk of change there. any thoughts on the other two cartoons?

8. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

Thundercats is better then He-Man in the sense that it has somewhat better animation, a slightly better plotline, and isn't quite as homo thought prevoking as He-Man. So it is better then He-Man, but not by a hell of a lot.

I have no clue about Mask.

9. wolfybulfy

heman was almost to the point of being so rediculous that it was funny, but instead just fell into the category of complete ass-sucking, even while watching it drunk.

10. Beechy

Beechy Where Da Cake?

I miss M.A.S.K. Maybe someone can make that a movie too.

11. wolfybulfy

"Not Literally"

- Optimus Prime

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The only good thing I can really think of about Gobots is Cy-Kill, and that's only because it's a kickass villain name.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Gobots.

Basically, every robot had the ability to fire some kind of beam from their fists. Except Scooter, he became invisible I think. There was an episode where he traded that for the beam shooting fists but he hated it.

Transforming was simply called converting, using generic mechanical sounds. The huge difference was that the cartoon was much more accurate to the toys. There was no melting or hidden parts. In fact, you could see their faces half the time while in vehicle form. Every body/vehicle part was accounted for, but they were very simple anyway.

Gobots are in fact humans that adapted for some reason to becoming robots. I can't recall anything else about the origins.

Cy-Kill had this great idea to find a bunch of shitty cars, give them the ability to convert to shitty robots, and somehow they managed to combine into a pretty kickass robot. I have no idea if that was before, or after, the power suits the Guardians used to combine.

The Renegades spaceship sounded like a TIE Fighter. It had a cloaking device I think? The Guardians ship was a four legged thing that could also kneel into a giant rolling thing. Both were large robots(think Grandus) as toys, I have no memory of that being used in the cartoon.

Chickbots included Space-C, the UFO, the red pickup, Crasher of course(NYAAHAHAHHAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! she was psycho), there were probably some others.

14. flamepanther

I thought they were built by a guy called The Last Engineer. Oh well.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Eh, my memory is weak on that. I just remember it involved humans for some reason.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gobots was put out by Hanna-Barbera, and could best be described as more "cartoon" where Transformers was more "Anime".

17. flamepanther

The sad thing is that the toys (Machine Robo) had what looks like it was a much better show in Japan. The art looks pretty kickass.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, I ran into actual Machine Robo toys at some specialty toy shop. At the time I had absolutely no clue what the MR-# thing was about(they didn't have names), but the catalogs were fascinating to look at. There were so many toys that never saw release in America.

Remember, there was no online, no convenient way to find Japanese toys. Everything was done via print ads and mail catalogs. Finding Japanese Gobots was an absolute treasure.

19. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I think Pathfinder(?)

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I think I watched GoBots only because the alternative was some girly show like Care Bears or Strawberry Shortcake. I'd rather have had my eyes gouged out with corn skewers than watch either of those shows.

"Sucks" wasn't used to describe anything back then, but if it had been it certainly would've applied to Gobots. And for those who thought Bumblebee was annoying... Scooter would've given you much more reason to hate him.

It amuses me, though, that Welker and Cullen both did voices for the show. And TFG1 writer Don Glut wrote for Gobots too. I'm sure there are some diehard TFG1 radicals out there who would call them traitors for pulling double-duty.

The SFX for the Renegades' ship wasn't the only Star Wars... "homage." The Guardian's ship bears a little more than a passing resemblance to the Imperial AT-AT.

I always enjoyed Thundercats, even if it was a little formulaic and predictable. Dunno if I'd buy the box sets, but I'd certainly rent them through Netflix.

I haven't seen M.A.S.K. since the 80's, so if I saw the cartoon again through my heightened animation critic jade-colored goggles, it probably wouldn't be as memorable. Seems like I at least enjoyed watching it, and the toys were pretty freakin cool.

Sorry you wasted your money on He-Man. Yet another case in point why Netflix is such a great thing to preview a box set you're considering buying.

I didn't care much for He-Man then and like it even less now, although I would be interested to see the documentaries just for nostalgia's sake.

But you think GoBots' Scooter was a pain in the ass? Oh god, Orko was a million times worse.