anyone seen Oban Star Racers yet?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Backpack, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

A few years back there was this cool little promo video made called " Molly Star Racer"... that got some attention around the net. Well I had basicly forgotten all about it, until I caught a commercial for the show on Toon Disney Jetix.

To refresh memories or introduce new comers. Here is a youtube link to the original promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CchCrAxDZvk

The first episode I caught on tv was EP 4, the series aparently started on June 5th... and it completely slipped under my radar.

air times :

Toon Disney : Mondays 7:30 PM, Weekends 8:30 PM
    ABC Family : Weekends 10:30 AM

Official US website : http://tv.disney.go.com/jetix/obanstarracers/

So check it out... it's kind of cool.

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's pretty cool. Even though it's racing, it's done really well. I really like the theme song. It's not often a cartoon gets such a good opening theme song here anymore. One odd thing I noticed though was that the first several episodes had a variation of the opening theme as the ending theme, but the last episode had what I assume was the Japanese ending. Thought that was kind of neat.

3. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

I really like the show. I managed to catch it from the beginning and have been thoroughly impressed with it. I just hope it doesn't break down on the plot to get more episodes done.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They just showed the first episode again, and it has the new ending theme. Maybe the first one was a test theme, or they just decided to get a song that didn't sound like the opening theme.

5. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

I've seen the first 13 eps on France 3 (original French version) and love it!

and today I found out that the US version has a crappy intro, meh, and to say that Yoko Kanno composed the original intro, why waste such good music?

other than that, the animation is really awesome, that's some great use of 3D and 2D together, Energon and Cybertron graphics are nothing compared to Oban

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea i am really interested in watching it, because it is french animation, and i have yet to see french animation, but, it's always on times when i am not avaliable to watch it. so i am hoping for a dvd release soon.

7. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yes! I too am looking forward to a DVD release. Hopefully they will do it right... all episodes in order... perhaps even boxsets.

It's very refreshing to have some decent, interesting animation.... not from Japan, or DC super heros.

8. Cyclone_X

there are rumors for a september DVD release for the french version (not a boxset though, just episodic, maybe 4 eps a disc)

and this animation is not 100% french, it is a close partnership between the french studio and japanese animators

in the past there have been other french-nippon anime luke Ulysse-31 (in the eighties)

9. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    France 3...aren't they the same guys who did Code Lyoko? Because I watched an episode of that show one time, and saw the name France 3 on it.

I too watched an ep of Oban Star Racers...anyone else notice that NONE of the characters have noses? :p 

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You know, I think most of the French cartoons I've seen are French/Japanese collaborations. The least Japanese cartoon I've seen from France was The Bots Master ("Le MaƮtre Des Bots", I think). Even that was still sort of Japanese. Awesome cartoon. Shame it wasn't more popular.

11. Cyclone_X

France 3 itself doesnt produce cartoons, it's a french national TV channel (together with France 2, France 5, ...) They do sponsor the cartoons though, and yes Code Lyoko premiered there as well, nice french anime (100% french I think) with great cgi in it as well.

yup, none of the human charachters have real noses (just a bump if you look at them laterally), it's some kind of design trademark.
    You'll also notice some Evangelion influences: Molly's real name is Eva, and one of her oposants resembles like an Angel (Spirit, he's black with a tiny white face)

and now I shut up before I spoil too much :p 

how many eps have been aired in the US?

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I believe the last new episode was the one where Rick came back, but found out he had to retire because of his injuries. They raced the weird flat guy who was supposed to be the last of the oldest race in the universe.

13. Cyclone_X

ah, 5th episode, then you'll love the 6th, with a Nekomimi oponent ;)  really cute and all

are the US titles as well in the following format: '....like Ceres'; '.....like Groooor'; '..... like Flint' where the first word starts with the same letter as the pilot's name

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I believe so, but I can't remember specifically. I'll check when it comes on monday.

15. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

I saw an episode of this last Saturday while half asleep...wanna see more. Yeah, the US titles are the same as you explained, I saw "Cruel like Ceres". The American title theme isn't too bad...but it would've been neat if we got Yohko Kanno's theme.
    French opening (Yohko Kanno composed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b59sFxEYhg

Complete ending (also Yohko Kanno composed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBlLUHYK1E
    Actually, I saw a shortened version of this ending on the episode I saw on ABC Family. I wonder if the Toon Disney airing shows the entire ending.

And this is neat, a French commercial with the entire opening theme song with some nice action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRx5tHU0bpk

16. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Cool opening. Who would have ever thought it... F-Pop. ^^

17. fanart

fanart New Member

Oban Star Racers fansite and forum in English !

Hi there,

Thought you'd be interrested to know the English version of the official OSR fan site is now online.

site adress: www.obanstarracers.com

Direct link to forum: www.obanstarracers.com/forum

There are some nice cosplay and fanart pics, the long version of the original Yoko Kanno opening, air dates by country, and info about how that unusual production took off the ground (nine years from concept to completion!).

;) 

Fanart