Anyone remember Phantasy Star

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the Genesis ones, I mean. I started playing PS4 on my PSP the other day, and it amazes me how much they crammed into that little game, in terms of graphics animation and even character dialogue.

I can't believe that I paid 100 bucks for that game years ago, but it was worth it, and now for 20 bucks I got PS4 and it's 2 predecessors as well as a buttload of other Genesis games.

But PS4 was definitely a great game, with 2 planets to explore, different vehicles to ride (and fight) on, great music, and a cool conclusion to the 4 part story. Unlike Final Fantasy (which I also enjoy) PS4 said it was ending on 4, and it was the true conclusion that wrapped up all the mysteries of the game.

I wish they'd make a true sequel or follow-up to the game. I like their online games, but they lack something that the old ones had, particularly 1,2 and 4.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I remember never originally being able to get the game because of the price. When the used game industry exploded in the late 90's, that was a game I finally picked up for $25. I never actually completed the game. :lol  I guess the booklet that came with the new version (I never got the booklet) really came in handy.

I have the Sega Genesis Collection for my PS2. The PS games are ones that I would really like to revisit.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Remember Phantasy Star?!??

Of course!
    There was an actual Game Cave store near where I lived and they had PS4 for the Mega Drive for $100. I coveted that game for months, but $100 was an absolutely enormous amount for me to pay back then.

Then, the game came out for the Genesis and it was $100! :banghead: 

Not to argue, but I didn't really feel like PS4 wrapped up the overall story line.
    I think that each of the Phantasy Star games wrapped up their own segment of the stories, but did little to tie them all together.

I take that back -at the end of Phantasy Star 3 I was mostly like "Hunh?" -even for its own story elements.

Also noteworthy is the cover art for PS4 which showed most company's aversion to showcasing a manga or anime style at the time. Those characters on the cover look nothing like in the game -they don't look bad, just nothing like the game they are supposed to represent.

4. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I am a huge Phantasy Star fan. I have beaten every game(even the import Gamegear ones.)

I am sad that Phantasy Star Universe just wasnt that good to me. I would rather keep playing PSO.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I just couldn't stand the monthly fee on top of Xbox Live.
    PS Universe is not a MMORPG.
    If it were a persistent world then I might be more inclined to pay the fee (but honestly, I still doubt that I would), but charging money to play PSU is like Bungie charging you to play Halo 2 online.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Spoilers for those who still haven't played them through

Nah, no harm in differnt opinions on the game. To me, though PS4 solved all the "huh's" in 3, in that they fully explained that in the second game, when the satellite crashed into Palma "Parma", the planet exploded, but the people there were already prepared for it, and fled in planetary ships that carried them out into the stars. It was cool to discover that in PS3 you were on one of those ships, and meanwhile back on the Algo star system in PS4 you find one that didn't make it out of the system and crashed back onto Motavia.

One of the cooler endings of part 3 has one of the ships arriving at our solar system, and making contact with Earth, which is a cool twist because we "The Earth People" were the main bad guys in Part 2. We had already destroyed all our resources and found the Algo System and wanted to take it for ourselves "Typical Earthlings"

For an old 16-bit game, it had a lot of interesting plot twists.

I really wish Sega had brought those updated PS2 versions out here. My cousin has PS1 (the updated import) on his PS2 and it's amazing

7. Jonstantenople

Jonstantenople underduck

I started with Phantasy Star Online. From there I found out about the older games. I had picked up the collection (1, 2 and 3) for the Gameboy Advance and loved the games. Part four is in a new collection, eh?

I'll definitely have to pick that up. I wish they'd make a new Phantasy Star RPG that wasn't an online game.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Yeah it's kinda lame. The GBA version has 1,2 and 3, and the PS2/PSP version has 2,3 and 4. Since the originals were on different systems, I guess the Genesis collection couldn't have a Master System game in it. But it has acrade unlockables, so why not throw in PS1 as a freeby. So up until this point, there is no definitive PS collection, outside of Japan, and that was a very nice box set.

I think this is why Transformers The movie hasn't come out in Japan yet. Because we didn't get the PS collection :D 

9. Jonstantenople

Jonstantenople underduck

Aw weak. One isn't on the ps2 Genesis Collection? Oh well, I'll definitely pick it up for part 4

Haha, a sound punishment for them denying us the complete collection, eh?

10. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I have PS2 and 4 and beat both(got PS2 from Funcoland back in the day for cheap, not sure when/where i got PS4 though, i can't remember!)

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Maybe that's why I was confused.
    I didn't even know PS3 had multiple endings.

Plus, you kind of had to be a big fan and tie together the elements that actually were connected because sometimes the names of things didn't exactly match from prior games.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's true. I was very much into the game at the time. And Sega kept mixing up the names. Palma was Parma in PS4, and Noah from PS1 came out in PS2 with his Japanese name Lutz. I think that was his PS4 name too. So I can see why it got so confusing.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The actual battle system was very cool. The game's major flaw is in content. It just doesn't have all that much to do and get. I believe the game still has less than half the amount of rare items PSO started with.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, for a moment there, I thought you were the hardest-core PS fan of us all. There is a character in PS4 named Gryz. Almost mistook your avatar name for it.

15. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

For a 2 or 3 month Span there was nearly a update per week. Then they actually got smart i did big updates at least once a month adding alot of content. I also did quit PSU after 1 month though. The grind bored me more than PSO.

16. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Man with PSU the board and item finding to make the weapons was just crappy. I rather have to hunt for the rares and then use item grinders like in PSO.