Anyone Remember "Monster In My Pocket"?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Triformis, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Because if you do (or don't), they're coming back! Check out this site for more info.:

http://www.mimp.co.uk/websites/mimp/index.html

Apparently, some company called Corinthian Marketing, which is the same company currently responsible for the SD Marvel Heroes line that come blind-boxed (I've found a bunch at Wal-Marts in the "cheap" aisle for about $2 a pop):

http://www.corinthianplc.com/pages.asp?pname=Corinthian_Prod_Marvel

Another interesting thing to note about the Marvel stuff is that, somehow, Hasbro has a hand in it as their logo is on the side of each box (others tell me it's not, but all of the ones I've seen have the logo for sure) making them the first official Marvel products offered by Hasbro (as far as I know). I'm not sure what role Hasbro played in these, maybe getting them to market in NA? So, in theory, Hasbro may have their name on the MIMP stuff too. Crazy!

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    heh, I actually used to love Monsters in My Pocket. I might have to look out for this.

Also of note, your 666th post was used for a thread about monsters.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Methinks they might want to change the name of that line now...:lol 

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Huh. Looks like they either really complicated the game, or dropped it. I actually have them still (The originals) that I used to play with. I had a bunch of high point monsters since there was a cereal promotion where you'd get one in every box of cereal. Ah, back in the good old days, when cereals had real prizes. Not to mention when I picked the cereal based on the promotion rather then anything else. Nowadays it's Special K. I must've gotten old at some point.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    When EGM talked about Pokemon back when it was brand new and all the rage in Japan with no plan at the time to bring it here they always referred to it as Pocket Monsters and I thought it was the same thing as Monster In My Pocket and though it was odd that the Japanese where so goofy on a game based on an old toy.

6. Triformis

Actually, Buzzbeak, I can't recall where I saw it, but today I was reading some other news bits about MIMP and some site actually linked that line directly to Pokemon somehow, something about it inspiring Pokemon...crazy stuff!

And, RW, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? You sick bastard! :lol 

7. Triformis

Oh, and that post was really my 666th one? That...is...freaky!!! I honestly didn't plan that whatsoever!

8. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

Heh cool. I to still have all of my MIMP items, the beasts, promo items (including a UK Woolworths Glow in the dark Gorgon) and the plastic Mountain (allbeit damaged beyond rapair)....I used to love them, and while I'll reserve judgement; I can't see these new ones being "the same". They do look promising though.

Pogs are also "back". They've been highly modernised and don't really have the same appeal by the looks of things on their website.

Interesting piece of info, thanks.

Ras

9. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Awesome! I loved these things!

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Monster in Pocket - Pokemon? Short for Pocket Monster. The Monster in my Pocket toys do look cooler.

11. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't even want to think about what kind of techniques he taught that monster.

12. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

The new MIMP's look alot better then the originals. If they are released here I would pick some up.
    Now, bring back the Battle Beasts!

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I sort of agree. I liked the somewhat cartoony look of the originals, and the fact that certain pieces (the vampire or frankenstein monster for instance) looked like the classic movie versions, while these news ones just look like random monsters. But, I'm always willing to support something I loved as a kid, and the fact that these new ones are painted will most likely appeal to whoever these are marketted at (assuming there is a market outside of us vaguely interested nostalgic types)

Pretty sure it was. When I clicked on this thread, you had 666 posts. Then I took the amount of time necessary to look at everything on the MIMP site, and didnt reply until I got done, and by that time, you still had 666 posts, so I assumed this had to be the one.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I second that, and third it, and fifty-seventh it.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Haha, nice. I've got a whole box of these, complete sets of all the general releases through to the space aliens run. Can't believe they're back. The paints look nice, makes them seem more like collectables than kiddy toys like the old ones sometimes did.

16. Triformis

I motion it to the Nth degree!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heed me HasTak and do my bidding!!!!

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

vamp

Ya, the Vampire loos like some kinda circus pimp.

Cut the wings off the winged panther and you almost have Skeletors, ride forgot his name. Pantharo or somehting I know Panthro was on Thundercats?

They are neat but I agree I like the old ones better, also they could have had more detailed sculpts, and less paint would have knocked the price down.

so Ghosts are categorized as seperate fromt he dead lol?

Nice that they used the name again I guess but not good enough for me I suppose.

18. racnruin

racnruin Decepticon

Awesome :cool:  I have the whole set of the originals,the plastic mountain with them all placed in it.I even have some of the second series.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I saw a couple of these last Sunday. They actually look pretty decent in person, a lot smaller than the pictures make you think, so in line with that the paint looks better.