Anyone remember Alt.toys.transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Draco Nomicon, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Draco Nomicon

Draco Nomicon Active Member

I remember way back, like 8-9 years ago I was part of the alt.toys.transformers newsgroup under the name draconis...or something like that. I ended up leaving because it seemed to devolve into nothing but a constant string of flame wars and trollers. Whatever happened to that group? Anyone here remember it or willing to admit being part of it.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I do. I wasn't a member but, like here, I frequented for a long time as a guest.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's still around. Every once in a while, somebody posts a link to something there...usually some sort of argument or flame war.

I lurked there for a while back in 1999/2000, but never got into the fandom.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I read it quite a bit still. Though most of the threads there now are reminiscing about how great it was when there used to be constant flamewars, there is still some interesting discussion from time to time about new items.

It's kind of funny the number of hold-outs spending time there talking about how those damn fancy new sites don't have the same content and quality that ATT used to, and therefore they won't give up ATT. Yeah, flamewars are kept to a minimum on places like TFW, which is why most people started hanging here instead of there.

5. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was there, as MightyMegatron, until 2000, when I had to move back to my country. After the move, I was left without Internet access for a couple of years, which is why I stopped posting there.

And the Flame Wars were (mostly) fun...

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I remember it. That had to be probably more than 10 years ago for me.

7. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I remember being part of it too. It was where I read new reviews of toys, posted items for sale, had discussions about Beast Wars or Beast Machines. I prefer it here though without all the constant flaming and trolls.

8. MPollard

MPollard Well-Known Member

Sure, "ATT" as it was called. I just read there some, no posting. Found out about Beast Wars that way.

When the Internet was young...

Edit: And the "RIBFIR" arguments. And the "Huffer is not dead" arguments...

9. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

i was there as "kidkorrupt".....mainly hung out at the marketplace

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I was there briefly ... did not enjoy my time. If nerds could ever try and compare the size of their cocks via Transformers discussion, that was happening there.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ATT was where it all started for me on the Net that is. BTW, does it still exist?

12. Sammael

News Credits:
  13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  14. Sammael

News Credits:
    You can probably still use a newsreader. Even back in the day, I used DejaNews, which was incorporated into Google Groups a couple of years ago.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I got a LOT of great G1 deals in the old ATTM web auctions in 96-98. Pre-eBay FTW.

No pics, no sigs, no real community. The un-modded-ness of ATT sucked then and it still sucks now. I have no idea why people still cling to the old dinosaur.

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I used to lurk there.

17. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    Sadly I wasnt there. But the forum in general sounds like seibertron lol.

18. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I guess you just had to be there to appreciate it.

The beauty of Usenet is that nobody's really in control...a recipe for anarchy or freedom, depending on how you look at it. Just as an example, a couple years back, when people were still trying to organize a class action against 88mph, some forums may as well've been running interference for all purging and/or locking threads that was done. You could also promote another site, without stealing desperately needed attention from the people who own the board you're currently on. Nobody could censor your art because they didn't have a sense of humor ("movie Arcee" incident anyone?), nobody could cancel/hide your topic because it was already discussed 5 years ago (and _possibly_ archived under a clumsy-at-best search engine), nobody could just up and delete really useful historical threads (thus, causing the oft-bemoaned repetitive questions). The news was also more exciting and personal when anybody could break a story themselves, rather than submit to some gatekeeper form and hope to be mentioned in a blurb somewhere alongside breaking coverage of January's BBTS newsletter or the revelation that Devastation #4 will, in fact, follow Devastation #3.

The price was to put up with some trolling every once in awhile (Cult of the Dead Cow sticks out for some reason). The only difference now is that the trolls are officially "look how snide and unfunny I can be between two words and get away with it" sanctioned.

Also, it forced people to go out on their own and create niche sites that enriched the fandom as a whole. You couldn't just dump a generic photo gallery on the server and call it a day. With the advent of the mega boards, I don't think there's nearly the emphasis on individual effort. Now you just join a random megaboard community and coast along with it.

19. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I was twintwist@aol.com on alt.toys.transformers. For a long time people thought that TFW's twintwist was me and vice versa. But now I think people understand that we are two different people.

(Though, now there is someone (not me) on 4chan posting as Might Gaine, and that guy is a total jerkoff, and people think that's me :-()

20. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was there. But not as my current name. I was Striker back then.

I came on during Beast War's second season. During RID I stopped going so much. When I was collecting and watching TF, I was more prone to go to TF websites. During the anime phase, I just got into other things, but I stopped by occasionally. It really became a flame house when the movie came out.