anyone recommend a car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor Ingenious, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

So I'm thinking of getting a new automobile this summer. I'd like it to be around 15K and good on gas. I mainly just do city driving but I like to go hiking up mountains about once a month on a weekend. I've always had bad luck with cars and repairs so something durable would be nice for a change. Any ideas?

2. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    Check out a Honda Fit. Honda Last forever, have great resale value, and the fit has plenty of storage options for a small car.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

civic, corolla, elantra, rio.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Corolla, Yaris

5. Laquah

Laquah Wanna be a Canadian Idiot TFW2005 Supporter

Accord

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have the Civic Hybrid and for a time it had actually appreciated in value, when gas was $3.00 a gallon. I get 45-55 miles per gallon.

7. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    My Mazda 3i's been a lot of fun so far. Jury's out on how reliable it'll be in the long run.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    1978 Fiat Punto!

9. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

For resale value's sake stay away from the Korean brands...though some of the Hyundai’s have a very high level of fit and finish anymore. I am in different cars every week during my travels (rentals). Since you head to the mountains, take a look at something with AWD or 4wd. Subaru’s are ok but they are a bish to work on if you’re going to do maintenance yourself. I bought the wife a 2005 Honda CR-V in 2005 and she loves it. While it certainly has been a good car for us and given us no trouble at all I prefer the newer Rav 4's both inside and out. I feel like the AWD is better suited for mild off-road in the Rav4 as well.

Whatever you end up with I would suggest you narrow your selection to a few choices and then visit an enthusiast forum for ea model. Those guys will tell all the plusses and minuses of that particular vehicle if you do the reading. Then go out and pick the one you like the best.

Also since you have 15k to swing, might I recommend you look at used only, you’re not going to get into much of a new car for 15, plus you won’t have to take the depreciation hit of a new car. Narrow your selection and post up what you’re looking at. I'm sure many of us would like to subject you to our opinion...hehehehe

As a side note, these hybrids, stay away from them. People are getting sucked into them because they feel guilty or want to help the planet in some way, lessen our dependence on oil or mideast oil anyway...Here's the real deal, hybrids have a HUGE bank of batteries and not the typical automotive 12v $34.99 style batteries either. Batteries are a wear item and will need to be replaced in 4-5 years. Projected battery replacement costs are from $4500-7000 depending on the vehicle. These cars while cool in theory are more expensive initially (typically) and will cost more to operate over 5 years. The increase in gas mileage by 10 mpg is not enough to offset the higher cost of acquisition, not to mention the battery replacement that must be done......

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Link

Is your Civic one of those?

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not according to this or this or this.

Any source on that, friend?

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No, mine's a 2003.

13. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Honda Civic is rather nice although I don't think I'd go with the Hybrid. I thought about getting a 4 wheel drive vehicle but aren't they gas guzzlers? I went to an autoshow last week and the Mazdas looked nice but I heard that it's expensive to get repairs done if their paint gets wrecked. I'm always hearing good things about Hondas though on the washington post auto radio show. If I do get a used vehicle it can't be more than a year old, way too many problems with used cars and me in the past.

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully my current vehicle will hold out until late summer when I start the hunt.

14. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I have heard the same about a 3's paint, I think they used some weird process where it's all one layer and not primer and topcoat. And if you get rain-sensing wipers (on any car, I would imagine) the windshield is about three times as expensive as that of a similar car without a rain sensor - it's enough to make windshield insurance a reasonable purchase. I would still much rather drive my car than a similarly priced Corolla, which is the other car I was looking at last year.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Civic, Accord, anything Honda

17. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

your first two links or sources quote the average cost of battery replacement. If honda has a 8 year warranty (Toyota and ford too) then your battieris might get replaced under warranty. I say might, part of my job is to administer warranty for the parts we sell to the automotive community. These batteries are expensive and to mass produce this quality of battery is fairly new. We are now experimenting with class 8 diesel hybrid tech now. Thats semi trucks if you don't follow. Projected life for those batteries on a class 8 truck are 7-8 years and are alot more heavy duty than whats in a civic. I say you'd be lucky to get 8 years out of a class 1-2 passenger car battery pack. But I guess you'll find out. I guess you might not have to worry about it if you dont plan on keeping your car eight years, but you will never recoup the upcharge paid for the car in the first place.
    So unless you just HAVE to have this technology right away I'd say skip it for now.

18. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

The new nissan versa is suppose to be ok... dunno though

19. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

Yes your right, the 4 wheel drive or awd is going to use more fuel than an equivilent car chassis. For instance, I was telling you about my wifes CR-V, its a Civic chassis with a diffrent body and suspension system. Making it look like a suv (station wagon) that is a bit higher off the ground than a normal civic. The civic will get around 30 city/ 40 highway (miles per gallon) where the CR-V is going to get 22 city and 28 highway. There is a bit of diffrence in the fuel economy but the trade off is that the small suv has 4wd if needed (you mentioned the mountians, not sure if you need 4wd for what you and your friends like to do up there?)

Now just so you know, there are car companies that are teamed up with each other which if you know whats what, it could end up saving you some money...
    example:

Pontiac Vibe - small 4 cyl crossover

This car is a toyota matrix with a diffrent front end. The engine, trans, computer, wiring, instrument cluster is all 100% toyota. But it is sold under the pontiac name so it is generally less expensive to aquire but you end up with a toyota.
    The vibe is avail in AWD and you can load bikes or skis for those mountian trips onto the cargo rails on the roof (like a SUV). It has a 4 cylinder engine that is not super powerful but is pretty good on sipping gas. Used 2006 Vibe AWDs can be had for around 15. Actually they are listed at 15,990 but 1k plus can generally be knocked off the price by haggling. You'd end up with a Toyota, but not have to pay quite the premium for the toyota name.....

But I'm not pushing you toward that car, I was just using it as an example.....

there are other vehicle chassis sharing like above too.....

20. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

yep and the best safty rating out of the micro cars. Largest 4 cylinder too. The car is matched against the Rio, Fit, Mini etc etc...