Anyone read Powers?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by TreKain, Jan 27, 2010.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    On a recommendation from a few people, I picked up the first trade of Powers. Anyone else into this, I really enjoyed it and wondering if it gets better or to not bother with picking up the rest the trades.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I loved the series before Marvel started publishing, after that I just lost all interest.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I own every single TPB.

Love the series and really find Bendis is far better writing this than he is writing an Avengers book.

It is not without flaw, but I find the overall storylines fit together rather nicely. There have already been several major arcs with wrap-ups. You also learn a lot more about Walker.

- Coeloptera

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have the TPBs from 1-12. Not sure if there's been any more. But I liked the series.

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

One thing to be aware of, most of the supers are very much background characters, with little depth given to them until much later in the series. Also, there is a marked tendency for most super powers to be some variant of the "generic energy powers" package. That's one area the series is really lacking, exploring super powers themselves. There's nothing really abstract or interesting. It's mostly fly, glow, and shoot stuff and it's all presented rather vaguely.

Bendis's "dialogue thing" actually works quite well here and, in fact, feels perfectly natural between Christian and Deena. He also completely obliterates the cliche' of "male and female cop partners with sexual tension". There is none and that is incredibly refreshing.

So, anyone else, whatcha like/dislike?

- Coeloptera