Anyone Read Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 3)? Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Witwicky Camaro, May 1, 2008.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Um, is it allowed to post Comic Book covers or is that illegal here? :inquisiti 

Yeah, um, I heard Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run on AXM has ended with a Giant-Size Atonishing X-Men #1 issue and I was wondering if anyone has bothered to read series before?

I've only managed to read Vol. I: Gifted and Vol. II: Dangerous TPB, when I borrowed them from the Library and only peeked at Vol. III: Torn when I visited the non-local comic book store.

Simply judging from the first two volumes, I love it. Especially Whedon's characterizations of the focal characters (Cyclops majorly), though I may be biased. The stories are interesting, but half the time the bubbles are overcrowded with text, borderline Claremont sometimes (if my year old memory serves me correctly. Might be wrong). John Cassaday's artwork is awesome, though at times, I wonder why everyone's head looks so small and rounded.

Narg, I've run out things to say!
    Its awesome IMHO!

2. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

It's good, but the problem with it is that it took him four years to tell a story that lasted maybe one month. When he started it was pre-House of M/Civil War/Decimation... all major things to happen to the Marvel Universe and the X-men universe, yet the title wasn't effected by any of it.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Giant-Size Atonishing X-Men #1 hasn't come out yet. But I loved most of what I read since the 1st issue.

4. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Wow, that many years and that many Story Arcs? Wow.

Maybe it takes place outside mainstream continuities? Everytime I see either Emma or Scott outside Atonishing X-Men, I wonder where they find the time to take off from said series crisis' to involve themselves in another. :lol 

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Astonishing started off good, but took a huge nosedive in quality during the second arc. The book overall has suffered from abysmal pacing (the entire third arc is a single fight scene stretched across six issues) and constant delays (I'll be extremely surprised if Giant-Size Astonishing isn't pushed back again). Aside from the good dialogue, pretty art, and occasional "omg" moment, Astonishing has been a huge disappointment and I won't be sorry to see Whedon and Cassady go. Especially since they're going to be killing Kitty on the way out.

Now you want good X-Men comics, head over to Uncanny. Brubaker has been really knocking it out of the park since Messiah Complex, and with Fraction joining up as co-writer it can only get better.

6. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yeah, and since Giant Size Astonishing hasn't come out yet, we can add Messiah Complex to the list of major X-men stories that Astonishing is ignoring.

7. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Seeing how much he focused her on character, why the hell would he kill Shadowcat off? That's like killing Wash or Anya off in Serenity and Buffy Season VII.

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Uncanny X-Men's current issues, especially after seeing all the preview pages featuring Michael Choi's artwork (which is just beautiful). I'm just waiting for Messiah CompleX premeire in TPB so I can read it without interruption and issue hunting (I have enough trouble trying to hunt down missed issues of Ultimate Spider-Man).

Oh yeah, are the New X-Men TPB's (vol.1-7) worth buying? I can't find it in my library to read.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    No clue. Personally, I maintain that anyone who can't keep even a bimonthly schedule and only puts out four issues a year doesn't deserve the right to make any changes to the books' overall continuity.

I assume you mean Morrison's run, not the kid spin-off book. If so... it depends. Some people love Morrison's X-Men, some hate it. I'd read through it a bit first and see what you think before making a monetary commitment.

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Good stuff but slow.... I'm still buyin' it although I can barely remember what's happening.

10. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    :D 

Ayep, Morrison's Run. Thanks, I think I'll do that.

11. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I made it through the first two arcs and a bit of the third but the delays just killed my interest. As much as I love Whedon I don't love Marvel's pandering to Hollywood types and letting them follow whatever schedule they see fit. Guess it doesn't matter for all those trendsters who only buy trades from Barnes & Noble.