Anyone Pre-Order Masterpiece Grimlock? MP Discussion!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1_Leet, Oct 15, 2008.

1. G1_Leet

G1_Leet Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, the news on Grimlock is really impressive. Perhaps the biggest Masterpiece figure yet, and maybe the most complex one yet.

I already Pre-Ordered my figure for sure. Collectors too.

But the weight so far on the package is like 7 pounds. Now, packaging usually adds very little extra weight to the overall figure. So, yeah, I think maybe Grimlock might be a very heavy figure.

Im thinking he might be like Prime. Have a lot of heavy parts like the legs and upper body. either way, im excited for Grimlock. I have Prime, Megatron, and Starscream. So, this figure is a welcome addition considering everything else in the MP line is mostly re-paints with Ultra Magnus and Thundercracker and SkyWarp.

So, yeah, im sick of the re-paints. I was wondering for a long time what Masterpeice figures they would come out with, and I have to say that Grimlock was a great surprise. And considering the amazing quality of the MP figures, I know Grimlock will be well worth his weight in Energon.

If there were other MP figures to be made, what would you want to see?

I've got a few.

Masterpiece Galvatron - With a great figure like Megatron, why not follow up with a great Galvatron figure of equal awesomeness? Universe Galvatron is an okay figure, and for such a high profile character, why he got dummed down to a deluxe size is beyond me. But id love to see a MP figure of Galvatron for sure.

Masterpiece Unicron - One of the most memorable villains of all time from the classic movie, only to get remade into a stupid stock bad-guy in Transformers Armada, and Energon. So, why they have not made a G1 Unicron styled like the classic movie is really a brain scratcher. While the Armada Unicron was'nt a bad figure, it's nothing to write home about.

I think Unicron deserves a good and proper figure in the MP line. I think he would make an awesome figure if he were properly detailed, and transformed like in the movie, and just captures what made Unicron so badass.

Yeah, those are the only two I can think of for the MP line that really stand out in my mind as characters who deserve justice, and have been wronged by bad figures in the past.

What's yours?

2. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Soundwave
    Shockwave

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Let's see... they no longer have the original mold for Shockwave, and haven't released a good Shockwave figure since G1. Yeah, a MP Shockwave is at the top of my list. Heck, if it'd have arms that could bend forward at the shoulder I'd be sold.

Soundwave's design is unfortunately outdated, although a MP Soundwave would make perfect sense.

Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime (unfortunately) seems like a likely candidate for the MP treatment.

I honestly don't want to see MP's of secondary characters. The Masterpiece line should be reserved for iconic figures, which I really don't see the Seekers as.
    Iconic to me are:
    Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus
    Megatron
    Shockwave
    Starscream
    Soundwave
    Rodimus Prime
    Grimlock
    Bumblebee

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I want MP Galvatron fo sho

I'm not pre-ordering Grimlock, I'll just think about buying it once it's out. Can't wait to see what he looks like

5. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

i have not preordered yet either, but since yesterday ive rethought it a lot and im considering it in the next 24 hours. pictures would be awesome though. 150 bucks is just a lot to through in the dark

6. DINOBOTT

DINOBOTT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    1. Soundwave with ravage, laserbeak, rumble and frenzy
    2. Shockwave
    3. More Dinobots
    Honestly, any characters from g1 would make great masterpieces. As for preordering grimlock, not until I have enough saved up the money.

7. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    There is a pic in the news and rumors forum - he looks neat to me.

8. lazerous8506

lazerous8506 Seacon

if they make masterpieces of the other 4 dinos, which i guess would be unlikely, id be over the moon happy.

shockwave
    soundwave
    sunstreaker and sideswipe

would get my vote

9. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd agree with your list. Basically it looks like they're going after all the "leaders" or leader-types. So my guess would be Hot Rod/Rodimus or Shockwave next.
    As for the Seekers not being iconic. They aren't. It's just they had the mold done for Starscream (who is iconic) and decided to make Skywarp and now Thundercracker.

I just wonder if they'll start doing some MP E-Hobby thing of Ghost MP Starscream or MP Sunstorm. :p 

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pre-ordered 2 I would like to see as futures releases.
    Prowl (Bluestreak, Smokescreen)
    Soundwave
    Wheeljack
    Shockwave
    Ironhide (Ratchet)

11. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

what bout masterpiece jazz? Also wouldn't mind a triple change mp blitzwing

12. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with the idea that the Masterpiece line should be reserved for iconic figures, the Seekers by themselves may not be iconic but as a group they are definatly a major part of the collector fandom. In the same respect I have definatly pre-ordered Grimlock and wouldn't mind seeing the other Dinobots made; they may not be iconic as an individual but as a group the Dionbots are an icon in TF lor.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Soundwave & Jetfire get the MP treatment

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I've always viewed the Masterpiece line as being reserved for the most iconic Transformer characters (apart from the obvious repaints). Here's hoping to:

Autobots
    Bumblebee
    Jazz
    Prowl
    Hot Rod
    Ironhide

Decepticons
    Soundwave
    Shockwave
    Devastator

14. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I will be pre-ordering Grimlock, utterly stoked by just how awesome even that tiny photo of him is, but I'm waiting to see what it'll cost from HLJ before I decide where me money goes.

As for others... I've said before and will say again that i think they're going down a "leader" route with the MPs (ignoring repaints), and won't be reworking the carformers that already got Binaltechs (Jazz, Prowl, et al); so, I think MP Rodimus Prime & Galvatron could be likely, and if done well could be superb. Maybe Shockwave, but I'd be surprised.

Beyond the G1 cast, I don't know; I always assumed the MP line was purposefully G1-centric. That said; I'd still dearly love an as-design-accurate-as-possible MP Movie Prime (or Blackout, or Bonecrusher, etc etc) but I'm quite sure that won't happen for reasons of cost, complexity and popularity.

A nice big MP Blitzwing would rock... but he's not in the "leader" category.

15. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    every g1 toy needs a Masterpiece.

Oh, and give Megatron a new one.

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Sorry to dissapoint you all, but Jazz\Prowl\Ironhide and all are nobodies in Japan, and I doubt Hasbro could push hard enough to release them.

So the next canditate [sometime in 2010, sadly] could be

Rodimus Prime [very likely]
    Galvatron [equally likely]
    Shockwave and Soundwave [not likely, as neither were that popular in Japan]

This of course includes speculation for a new mould, you never know what colours they'll release the Seeker mould the next time.

17. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I'll place an order when the price goes down a ton, but I would like to get MP Grimlock. It has been mentioned that Optimus' communicators where easter eggs for which MP's we might see. So far we've seen Starscreen, Megtron, Grimlock and Bumblebee on the communicators. So I guess that Bumblebee is next.

I would like to see Jazz done up. That would be so sweet! Blitzwing would be nice too!

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I'd like to see either a MP Soundwave, or a MP Onslaught (both could easily be repainted). They wouldn't have to make Onslaught combine or anything, imo. I'd probably wait for the eventual repaint as Mega-Octane (main reason I'd love to see a MP Onslaught to begin with). A MP RID Scourge would be nice too, but I'm not sure how likely it would be. Though he would be easy to repaint into another Prime figure, or they could even make the first one Prime and then repaint him as Scourge. No matter what, a RID homage would be nice, though I'd be happy enough if we got a new mold RID homage in the Universe line. I can't wait to see what Hasbro will have planned for their eventual release of MP Grimlock. I'm really hoping that he doesn't end up as a Walmart exclusive. I'd be ok with a Target exclusive, and maybe even a TRU exclusive if need be. I'd honestly either buy him from a fellow board member, or even import him before even thinking about going into another Walmart. A wide release would be ideal though, and I wouldn't doubt it, as he is pretty iconic and would probably sell well. Maybe the upcoming Universe Dinobot will help convince the Hasbro higher ups to attempt a wide release. Let's just hope that Dinobot sells well.

Eh, I personally think that there are plenty of other characters that deserve the MP treatment before Unicron, though I think it would be interesting to see a MP version of his destroyed head. Lights and sounds would be easy to incorporate into it. Sure it wouldn't transform, but it would look kinda cool on a display surrounded buy RH figures.

19. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I'd say Grimlock pretty much opened the floodgates for most of the major characters mentioned on this thread. An upright, tail dragging dinosaur?? :) rock) A boombox would be just as bad ass. So would a laser gun, an old Beetle, or a futuristic sports car.

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    um,

No!!