anyone play god of war?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was reading a new issue of egm, and it was talking about good games and this one came up a couple of times. I read a review on gamespot, but I was wondering what people here thought of it.

2. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

I thought it was good, the boss battles can be very entertaining, but it start to feel like the same thing over and over again when you were going through the levels, hack n slash over and over again.

As I said before though, the boss battles would make it a worth while game to rent out.

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I'm inclined to concur.... i thought it was more of a 'renter' than a 'buyer'.

4. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I thought it was bad-freakin-ass!!!
    Good story, good action, okay puzzles.

It's not going to challenge your gaming abilities...but it's like a good 'guy movie pop corn flick', it knows what type of game it is, and does it VERY well. I'd recomend renting it, or picking it up used.

-Shifty

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I've played some and loved it. I've been trying to buy a used copy but had no success looking for it.

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I played it, and loved it. I was also playing DMC 3 at the time, and they're pretty compliemntal to each other. GoW is more of a run and gun type, DMC was more of a strategy and precision game.

But yeah, unless you're the kind of person who does every single thing a game has to offer, it's a renter. If you are... God mode is a BITCH.

7. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

Buy it. Have fun on Hades btw. Even the creators admit the level is BS.

Also: ^^^WTF? They are both kickin' rad action games that have a fair share of puzzles (GoW had harder puzzles FYI.)

8. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

I hated the rotating blade columns. Graze the flat side of a blade, and you're suddenly falling 100 feet. :redface2: 

Anyway, it is a very good game. Great action, wonderful boss fights, and just a lot of fun. There are also lots of unlockables, some of which are pretty neat. It will take you a lot of time to unlock everything.

It's not without its flaws, though. Probably the biggest is the inconsistent difficulty. Most games tend to gradually ramp up the difficulty as you progress further into the game. GoW does this to an extent, but there are also a number of situations that just sorta pop up out of nowhere, and can be extremely frustrating. The previously mentioned Hades level is one of them. The second to last fight is another.

Then there's the situation with the unlockables. Honestly, the vast majority of them can be unlocked just through a single play through the game on Normal difficulty. There are only a few that have stricter requirements. The large amount of time I mentioned it would take to unlock everything is due solely to the fact that you have to go through some ridiculous challenges in order to unlock just a few things. That aforementioned second-to-last fight on God Mode makes me shudder. It's the one reason I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Then there's the Challenge of the Gods mini-game to unlock the extra costumes. A few of the challenges border on ludicrous...

Also, not sure if you consider it a positive or negative factor, but keep in mind that the game definitely earns its M rating. You'll be seeing blood and gore in massive amounts, and there's a fair bit of nudity early in the game. As someone who grew up watching the Nightmare on Elm Street and such movies while I was in elementary school, I'm normally fine with mature youngsters viewing mature material. But this is a game I wouldn't play with minors around unless I was sure their parents were very well aware of the content and were ok with it.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    definately a rent game.. I bought it used, beat it, and returned it. Wish i had simply rented.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    One of my favorite games, ever.

I seriously love the game, and play through it every now and then. It's great at what it does, and some of the unlockables are great. (I am particularly fond of the Ares Armor.)

However, there are a few drawbacks, like you can't use the special costumes on God mode (So, you have to beat the game, beat more special levels, but then can't use them to help you on your newly unlocked super difficulty?) And the last fight with Ares, with shared health is an impossible bitch to me.

I rented it, but later bought it. (Somewhat incidently, I had thought I found a place that had it cheaper, but found out it was used that I had bought, which it said so on the receipt, so I kept it, and it works great.)