Anyone notice 25th Anniversary Primes awful colors?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Nov 2, 2008.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in Wally World yesterday and I saw a 25th Ann Prime. Damn I was shocked when I saw the colors! Hasbro managed to find the worse shade of red possible. I mean its far worse then the 20th Ann DVD Prime! Even the trailer is some form of off Grey.

I really hope this is not a sign of things to come for the 25th anniversary of Transformers! Over priced, poor QC (it looked like it was dipped in paint and not sprayed), and terrible colors is a lot of fail for such an iconic figure.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I've looked at the toy in person, and I honestly don't see what everybody's problem is. It's not quite the same shade of red as my Encore version, but calling it pink is really overstating the problem.

3. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I think they were going for flat, cartoon colors. However, it just ended up looking weird :-/

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    From what I've seen of it, I personally like the colors. They have a more cartooned look to them, and work great on him, imo. I haven't seen him in person though. As for this "pink" issue, if it does really look pink, and it isn't just the flash of camera's doing it, it's probably the fact that that part is diecast, which, like transparent plastic, almost always has a bad affect on the paint put on it.

5. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would have to disagree with you there. G1, and Binaltech are proof that its not what you paint, but how you paint it.

6. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  7. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the same price now (seems 25th ann drove the price up $10) You can get an Encore 01 in original G1 form (long smoke stacks), and color. Which is just a better buy IMHO.

Now I'm curious how old the people are that like the 25th ann Prime VS the people that don't?

I will start with me. I'm 32. I suspect us old guys are the ones that don't care for it.

8. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Wait, it's pink?

Oh, I'm totally sold on this now.

9. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the record I never said Pink. It is however a terrible shade of a very light red. It seems to be about 2 shades lighter then Classics 2.0 Ironhide.

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I don't see what the problem is, either. I like the colors, kind of looks anime-styled to me. Plus, I'm not complaining, at least we're getting a wide-release G1 reissue. Be happy with it.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, I'm 32 like ya but if Prime is pink - PASS! LOL!

12. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Not true. Colored plastic gives off a different type of reflection than painted metal. It more comes down to the type and shade of paint they used vs. the type and shade of plastic. In the case of 25th Prime it comes down to the fact that the paint absorbs less light than the plastic so you end up with a pink hue on the front of the cab in flash photograghy. Seeing it face to face, the paint color actually does match the rest of the cab, it's just mot metallic like the plastic is. Most of the Binaltechs (Takara was admitedly really good at this) paintwork matched thier plastic tones almost perfectly.

13. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I have the New Year Convoy version and the painted die-cast doesn't match perfectly the rest of the cab. It's a close match, but not perfect and it's noticeable.

14. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i havent seen the toy, but from the pics ive seen, the chest piece looks pink...maybe its the flash that makes the difference stand out, but it does look pink..i guess i can comment with more authority when ive seen the toy for myself :D  personally i also feel its too expensive n i'll only get it if/when it goes on clearance

15. Nymyzys

Nymyzys Wailing Your Sorrow

Ebay:
    Regarding this reissue, I posted this in another thread

Also worth noting, I came across yet another of these in the same Wal-Mart on Saturday of this past week, and this one had a lot of the gray paint smudged from the button on the Autobot logo.

16. TechStar25

TechStar25 Active Member

I had a chance to finally see some in my local wal-mart yesterday. What people are forgetting is that you get more than just the toy.
    You get the sound-making-doohicky, or sound actuator, whatever it's called. It also comes with a DVD (70 mins), and the comic book reprint. As far as Hasbro is concerned that DVD would probably MSRP for $20. That's where they are coming from by pricing it at $70. You have to look at it from Hasbro's standpoint.
    Sure you could get the older re-issue from ebay for cheaper, but with this re-issue, it's more of an entire special package, not just the toy. I'm just saying that is Hasbro's thinking.
    From a collector's standpoint, the extra stuff adds no value for us. We'll probably never watch the DVD, or read the comic. We just want the toy.

17. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I've seen it in person at my local Wal-mart and it isn't that bad AT ALL. It doesn't even look anywhere near pink. It's just a slightly lighter shade of red like the cartoon.

18. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

As an Encore owner, I immediately noticed the difference. I was interested in one until I saw it. And yes I'm old, 29, and owned an original G1 back in the day. I've already sold my TRU reissue and I've got about 5 MISB Japanese reissues so I figured I'd pass on this one.

19. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I've never owned one and, at $70, am not interested. I saw it in the store the other day and didn't think it looked that bad, colorwise, at all.