Customs: Anyone messed with Denatured Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, so the 70% Isoprophyl Alcohol solution I got from the grocery store has not been doing the trick when it comes to removing paint from Cybertron figures. So, I picked up some of the heavy stuff - pure denatured alcohol - and I am testing it on some parts.

I have one test cup (it's glass, so it won't corrode) filled with 80% denatured and 10% water...

...and another cup that's 100% denatured alcohol.

I put random TF parts from previous kitbash projects (stuff that's left over) in the 2 test cups, as well as a Force chip in each one.

Has anyone messed with this stuff? Does it completely melt plastics into nothing? Does it effectively strip paint? I'm curious if I'm gonna get a lot of "OMFG DON'T RUIN YOUR PARTS!" responses or not.

2. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

You can get 90% Isopropyl Alcohol from Target or Wal*Mart, thats what I use that works fine for removing the paint from Cybertron, Alternators, RiD... any and every. I've never tried the Denatured Alcohol though, you'll have to let me know how that goes.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Actually, it's doing...nothing.

You're right, dude. I was actually basing my search for 90% off of your posts. I found the denatured today at Home Depot and remembered cleaning metal tools with it at the airport, figured I'd give it a whirl for paint-stripping. Those parts have now been in the solution for 2 hours and I can feel no major change in terms of the paint sloughing off.

Ah well. It was worth experimenting. I'm gonna leave the test parts in the solution through until tomorrow, see if anything changes.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    would reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallly suck if they melted on you from the alcohol being so strong. Tho, I doubt that would happen.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    It's been a day straight and nothing's happened to the parts. It seems denatured alcohol is not the way to go.

I'm trying a new test, using AutobotSDG's advice. The parts I'm intending to strip are in a half-and-half 70%/90% solution. One batch of test parts is in the 90% and the other test parts are in the 70%. News as it occurs.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used Mineral Turpentine a few weeks back to get all the paint off of an Armada Blurr. It worked very well and the plastic still seems to be fine. Although initially it seemed that the plastic did react a bit with the air and created a white almost chalky substance in places along the surface where the paint was, but this rubs right off easily.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Denatured alcohol is great for cleaning grease off of tools... but that's about it.

We use it at work to get toner of off urethane belts too...