Customs: Anyone know where to buy pins?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by yourreflection, Oct 8, 2009.

1. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy mass quantities of the pins that are commonly used to keep certain transformer parts together.

I'm looking for the pins that are used to keep the wheel tires in place and the ones that keep swinging parts in place. I hope these descriptions make sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they're more of a factory thing, produced to spec for a given figure. They're not something you can easily find. For personal use, I think people tend to use piano wire, or cut down nails.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use the latter method. Anytime I want to make my own pin, I just take a hanging nail of the desired size, cut the length to fit, and file down the end. I don't do this often enough to need a mass quantity, though.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Larger brass paper clips work well, too. They're rounded, where plain silver ones are usually flattened a bit. I've been working with them for a long time, and all you really need to do is cut it to length, then scuff the ends with a file so glue grabs to it.

5. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I'll look into the larger paperclips - that sounds like a pretty simple solution.

I'm going to look into the various sizes for hanging nails this weekend.

I'm going to try the cut down nail approach along with the brass paperclips. Seems like the two easiest solutions.

Thanks again for the advice guys. Appreciate it.