anyone know if this is at all accurate?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kwickstrike, Feb 4, 2009.

1. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

obviously it was made by a fan, but is that the general idea?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's probably accurate within the confines of the information in the note on the bottom right. Otherwise, it doesn't look very consistent with my memories of cartoons, comics, and the like.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm rather surprised to see Omega Supreme in his own class, and nearly 30% larger then a standard Guardian Robot; I'd really like an explaination of that. This scale is also seemingly set for the Japanese G1 series, which did do their own thing at times scalewise from the earlier US Cartoon.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're asking, since the Note/disclaimer clearly lays it out and we all know scale is relative. Check out the article on the TFWiki on Scale - Transformers Wiki , and for a G1 cartoon scale sheet, http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/b/b7/Tfcartoonscaleguideic1.jpg I really wish I could find it again, but some japanese magazine did a graphic of the cartoon scale of the Headmasters, with Daniel, Wheelie, Chromedone Ultra Magnus, a gestalt, Metroplex, and Fortress Maximus. Max was about 4 times the size of Metro, who was twice as tall as a gestalt, who was only about 40% bigger then UM, who was quite a bit taller then Wheelie, who was somewhat bigger then Daniel.

Back on topic, if you're asking about the G1 sizes, then yes and no. Most of the G1 transformers would've been been IV or V, with TFs like Prime, Grimlock, Megatron at VI. I'd also say the Cassettes are too big and should be scale III or smaller for US G1. That said, it is a neat "scale" picture.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think the cassettes are twice the size of the average human, for one, and the combiners seem a little small.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Let me offer this advice when dealing with scale in G1. Find a heavy object, preferably a brick or a shovel. Knock yourself across the head. If you find yourself still contemplating the subject when you regain consciousness, go ahead and repeat that last step until the urge passes.* Trust me, it'll cause less headaches in the long run than trying to figuring out how things like "How can both of Defensor's legs can be same the size?"

*I'm not a liscensed doctor. Your physician's advice may differ.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Trying to pigeonhole character sizes is a messy proposal anyway - that chart makes mention of Powered Masters all being one height, when Dai Atlas was consistently shown to be larger than the others.

Approximate I know, but some of this does seem to be speculation - some of these groups were never seen in the same show with others to properly estimate the sizes.

Anyways, not all of them are the same height, and mass shifting just makes things even more complicated. Though as far as size charts go, it seems to be a decent rule of thumb.

7. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the chart says that the cassette combiners (like Slamdance and Squawkbox) are twice the size of an average human. Given that G1 Rumble was only a head or two taller than Spike, that sounds about right.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Even this is pretty dodgy. Sure we all remember that episode when Rumble strangled Spike, but what about the episodes when cassettes were around 8ft tall, or 16ft, or almost the height of a Seeker? I think the cassettes on the cartoon had some of the most obvious size variances of any Transformer.

Though if I were inclined to make up fanwank explanations to reconcile obvious errors and inconsistencies, I might suggest that Cassettes, having the ability to shift to mini-cassette size, to giant cassette size, to robot size... also possess the power to stop anywhere they want along that scale. So assuming Rumble's true height is around 16ft tall, then anywhere in between that and a tiny cassette is acceptable.

However, I'm not really inclined to buy that explanation. :rolleyes2 

STILL... I have to admit that there is some corroboration of this theory in the tech specs. It's very clearly stated that Ratbat can take the form of a giant robot bat OR a tiny hand-sized bat. Mass displacement, eat your heart out! :) 

zmog

9. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    umm ok,

10. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    overkill's tech specs state that his weakness is sometimes his mass shifting circuity spazs out and he is left tiny instead of HUGE...so i agree the cassettes probably have some control over the mass size of the robotic form....

Ravage the size of ramhorn would fucking ROCK!

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the scale seems wonky to me.
    I think a dinobot may size shift in bot mode, but still, a dinobot is pretty darn big.

and ya gotta look at gestalts. the Predaking predacons should be miniscule next to the Aerialbots or Combaticons, yet the 'king is a massive beast combined.
    ????

TFwiki.net has an article on scale with a scale chart for artists, but even it looks wrong to me in places.

where's that brick...is it clay or concrete, i need a good nap.

12. SMOG

LOL! I didn't remember that! That's adorable, especially because Overkill is such an angry little beast. :) 

Has it ever been established that the Predacons turn into actual normal-sized animals? I always assumed they were monster-sized robot animals... basically they transform into Zoids. :) 

zmog

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's the basis of the Botcon custom class Grimlock repaint (and possibly the 'special edition' toy to some extent). Overkill's size-change stopped working completely, and was stuck at tape size in any mode. The new body was built and the tape was inserted into it to control it.

I don't think any G1 animal TF was 'actual size' in animal form, with the possible exception of some cassettes and dinosaur guys. I'm pretty sure the Predacons were beasts the size of cars, if not larger.

14. SMOG

Interesting... not sure if it justifies a Classics Grimlock repaint, but the concept is entertaining...

That's how I always pictured them, pretty much.

zmog

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I think this is crap. Just because it defines a Gestalt as a "combined combiner!". WTF?!

I think anyone who has read the Wiki page on Scale will realise this is basically irrelevant outside of the fancomic it's designed for. It's not like Chars have been very to scale with each other before (bar bin/alts). I never knew Omega Supreme was all on his own... :(