Anyone know how they decide which figures get the KO treatment?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BScorpinok75, Oct 1, 2010.

1. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Pretty much just what the title says. As I've been looking at my TF collection lately, specifically my Classics/Heinkei/Universe/Generations. I'm realizing there seems to be a void of sorts that "I" think a KO company could capitalize on. I'm thinking Hasbro/Takara won't do this figures and even if they did does it matter? Take for instance the seeker mold, why no Sunstorm or Generic Purple Seekers or the flamethrower toting Seeker (I refer to him as Incenerator). There are others that seem to be calling out for the KO treatment as well. Now, this is by no means a rant. I'm am just curious to know if there is a process in place for the decision on what figures get the nod. And even more so is there a way for customers to influence the choices?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ko toys is making their own kos with a partner now, so i think we'll start to see those kind of kos, most of the time, i think it was just random picks

• Like Like x 1
  3. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

Good to hear. So its a good chance that potential customer feedback will be used in the deciscion making process as to which "characters" get the KO treatment?

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What? You mean KO's of KO's?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I don't think there is any decision involved. Most KOs are whatever comes to hand for a quick buck.

The high-end stuff though is based on what's in demand and never been reissued.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but will G1 Jetfire ever be KO'ed? I'm wondering since it will never be officially re-issued due to the Hasbro/Takara/Bandai issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    whatever is profitable easily.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah i imagine based solely on profits, they probably picked the ones they can easily get an existing mold for, or if they have to make the molds themselves the ones with least parts/trees and manual assembly. hasbro can afford to have toys priced the same even though one may have more parts than the other, because the amount of toys they sell average out to healthy profit margin, same thing just won't work for ko companies that may or may not exist the next day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I consider all the robotech valkyre VF-1 reissues/releases based of the skull leader toy. as reissues of the 1985 jetfire toy. I also consider the MP Toynami & MP Macross robotech VF-1 skull leader toy as jetfire masterpiece TF toys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    KO oversized reveal the shield legends megatron plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oops. I read the thread title wrong. :confused2 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

If I ever won the lottery. I'd partner up with KO toys & have them create recolored TF toys I've been dreaming of seeing for years. I opt to have the plastic quality extremly high grade,zero short cuts in designs & non-sloppy paint apps.

My desired TF recolors based off previously made TF liscensed toys are as follows:

(1) year 2005 Cybertron toy line ultra sized scourge repainted into various TF toy characters like as follows: 1986 Trypticon,1986 Hungarr,Beastwars TM2 Megatron,1989 TF victory deathsauras. 1986 Skylynx

(2) year 2005 cybertron leader sized metroplex recolored into 1987 Fortress maximus colors. perhaps more accurate 1986 metroplex colors.

(3) Year 2005 Cybertron leader sized Megatron. recolored as 1986 Rodimus Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they did oversized knock offs (like the oversized G1 knockoffs I've seen) of recent figures that some of us would rather see at a larger class size (Classics Galvatron to Voyager, Animated Sentinel Prime & Lugnut, Movie Blackout/chopper mold and Bonecrusher) and the quality was good, I'd be very interested.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

the KO companies did try to over sized the classics 2.0 Galvatron deluxe toy about a year+ago. They increased it to voyager size. the problem was they did so many short cuts & applied sloppy paint apps & weird color schemes. the robot head was a pop on/off seperate piece. the end result the KO version wasn't worth five cents.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

PURPLE SEEKERS

SUNSTORM

Are the 3rd Party guys deaf to the fans too? Apparently so. If I had the capitol and connections to make those toys i'd be a multi-millionaire right now.

• Like Like x 1