Customs: anyone know a good way to restore a detail brush ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by anovasinn, Aug 9, 2008.

1. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i think one of my problems for my premature brush damage is i use acrylic and oil base enamel. also i do not segregate my brushes for specific colors or paints.
    so one way i found to temporally fix it is to use light weight candle wax but i think that screws them up worse in the long run. if anyone has a good fix please let me know i get tired of spending 5 bucks for a brush

Attached Files:

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    What are your bristles made of? Sable? Or....?

3. anovasinn

the brush pictured yes i believe so that one is a testors model master brush

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    This'll sound weird, but it works for me. take your thumb and forefinger and rub the oils off your nose (I know, I know, it sounds weird) then wipe the brush from base of bristles to tip. this almost always does the job on fine bristles for me, but then again, I may just be a greazy bastid!:D 

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    dip it in oil, then wrap it tightly with aluminum foil, then press it flat. leave it about 24 hours, should form back, unless it's synthetic.

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just use some "The Master's" Brush cleaner and follow the directions. Works pretty good and is available at any art store usually.

7. anovasinn

thanks guys :thumb  !! FR what kind of oil do you suggest? and thanks hank but i have some what dri skin i guess i could swipe some off the wifes nose lol

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I use regular cooking oil. The Master brush cleaners is great too. Using enamels, i burn through brushes...plus I hate imperfections in my brushes, I usually have 2 brand new brushes on each project.

9. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd just buy a new one. :) 

10. anovasinn

it is new lol no not really i am not that hard on them its about 3-6 months old

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I wish I had 3 month old brushes. I usually end up carelessly painting large areas with a detail brush, or using a small brush to dry brush an area - and it kills them instantly. I usually grab good detail brushes at Michaels...it's the one thing they consistently have in good stock

12. anovasinn

oh thats what i did wrong:lol  for me i would not call it an accident it is usually very intentional when i do. honestly i did not think that is what was wrecking them:redface2: . ok so i used a combination of the techniques except i did not get the special brush cleaner i just used acetone, denatured alcohol, then thinner. swabbed it with cooking oil and wrapped it. it is not perfect but it is usable for detail again.

i have one detail brush i have had for at least 4 years and it still has a point i think it is possessed by the devil or something the only reason i don't like it so much is the bristles are short and to soft but it is good for some things

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    In college, I worked for a sign company with a die-hard "Letterhead" (those are those guys who pin stripe perfect lines and hand-paint letters in seconds)

He had horse and camel brushes that cost $40+ dollars, and has had them 10+ years. I like my synthetic ones ;)  ....$3.00