Customs: Anyone know a good metallic purple.....

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by 46+2, Mar 27, 2011.

1. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

So I wanna do something to my BIS cyclonus. I want to add some metallic purple highlights kind of like henkei cyclonus. My question is, Who makes a nice metallic purple-ish color that comes in a spray can and what is its appropriate primer.

Also looking for online retailers that sell "out of the ordinary" colors in spray cans.

Thanks.

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doesn't krylon make a metallic purple sold in wal marts?

I still want to experiment with high gloss and combine some paint and future.

3. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

They do, but I dont remember ever seeing the Pre-treatment/Primer it required

4. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw them today in the store. Here is what I am referring to:

Krylon: Products: X-Metals

I think I read that you won't get the sheen that the cap shows but it's worth a shot. I'd pop down a basecoat of black then a gloss clear top coat.

5. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

No primer then? Isnt that paint for metal? I'll have to check it out. I initially considered getting that paint but wondered how well it adheres to plastic.

6. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

It says it goes on wood, metal, plaster etc. Most likely you'd need primer but you can get that right next to it no problem.

edit: I have never used this paint so I can't attest to what it's like apart from what I have read at the site description.

7. jwasko

jwasko Active Member

You may want to check out Testor's "purplicious" lacquer. I'm not sure if it will be quite "metallic" enough for you, but I've seen it used on plastic in person before and can say that the project turned out pretty great. Plus, I think it would fit Cyclonus or Galvatron well (in my opinion).

If you can't find it at your local hobby shop, try a Michaels craft store (if you have any nearby).

PS: Here's a link to someone who used it. The pictures look pretty close to what I've seen, and it includes details on what primer, etc he used.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I actually have a bottle of metallic purple paint from Folk Art. I know a lot of people will dismiss the cheaper craft paints you find at Walmart, but some of them work pretty nice.