Anyone interested in partnering for a TF restaurant idea?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by seeker311, Feb 24, 2008.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    So I was at Red Robin with the wife and while talking about themed restaurants, I thought why not a TF themed burger joint? These are the simple ideas I thought of:

The spicy burger would be called the Starscream
    An original burger would be the Optimus
    A high calories burger would be the Omega Supreme
    A BBQ burger would be the Megatron
    Child's burger would be the Bumble bee
    Fries would be called Energon sticks
    The bar area would be Unicron's lounge
    The whole restaurant would have TF stuff all over; from the movie to the toys to different art work from comic writers. The TVs would always be playing something TF related. Well thats about as far as Ive thought up, itd be nice if it did come to fruition.

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I would love to see something like that, but I'm skeptical abpout it's succes.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    How's about McIacon.

4. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds good, but I don't think a TFs themed restaurant would be successful. TFs are not Disney or Warnerbrothers. I think it would be popular within the community, but I wonder how it would last long-term with just the gimmick sustaining it. Also, the rights from Hasbro would be astronomical.

Good idea though!

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    The restaurant business is a tough business to get into. A lot of folks end up failing.

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would be so down for that, the tables could be translusent purple. The biggest burger would have to be called fort max.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I managed fine dining restaurants right out of college. It's tough.

8 out of 10 restaurants in the US fail within the first year of opening.

8. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I think its funny how people of the fandom still think Transformers (Especially G1) is mainstream. This is not in the same league as things like Disney (like someone else said) or any of the other big name kids titles. A Disney Mickey Mouse burger joint would do extremely well for example. Transformers? Not so much.

I would go there though, because I am a fan of Transformers.

Actually, this COULD work, but you would have to turn it into an experience and not just a burger place with a Transformers theme, which wouldnt work. I can see a place with lavish big robots adorning the entire thing and maybe some animatronics. The dining area could be done up like a jungle with mist and a waterfall where insecticons and dinobots would round out the look and feel. Something like THAT may work ... something like THAT is very expensive. If your gonna do this, may as well go all the way or it is sure to fail.

9. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A TF-themed restaurant? That's not a bad idea. Yet, like everyone else has said, restaurants are hard to establish as a successful business. Though, TF fans can always dream.

10. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Unfortunately I wouldn't have enough confidence in this idea being successful to invest anything but maybe some moral support.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Hate to be a negative Nancy, but yeah, I think the idea is good but unworkable.

I've thought about Transformers-branded automobile accessories. I think that might work and is something that would have a smaller overhead and smaller risk. I have ideas. I just don't have the time, money, knowledge, or skills.

12. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

People tend to go for ambiance and a gimic when they go to new resaurants. Rainforest Cafe is extremely popular for example just because people like the experience of eating in a place that makes it sort of feel like a rainforest. There is mist, a waterfall, lavish plants that adorn the walls and ceiling. There are animal animatronics, thunder and other sound effects. That is what makes that place popular.

Make a Transformers place like that with robots and elaborate designs instead of just pictures, some televisions, and some small robot ... And you may have something. Picture themed places have been done before. Its not like people will be wowed by a cheap showing. Nobody cares about transformers episodes on the tv, that gets boring.

Make it really stand out. Pictures? Little robots? Episodes on tv? Give me a break you are thinking like every other joe schmoe ... And that never sells. Only unique and inventive ideas get really successful.

13. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

One word: Dive. That would be the submarine-gimmick/theme restaurant, a unique and inventive idea sprung from the mind of one Steven Spielberg, which closed after five years.

And where in my original post did I display any of this "joe schmoe" thinking you're calling me out on? Tell you what, you present to us all a business plan incorporating all of your grandiose ideas for the restaurant design itself (marketing plan and sales strategy, management and organization, etc. aside) and make it profitable long term (i.e. people aren't turned off by paying $20 for a cheeseburger), and this "joe schmoe" will shaddap.

I'd say a Star Wars-theme restaurant has a way better chance for long-term success than Transformers. And I'm sure there are valid reasons why after over 30 years of being a worldwide phenomenon we have yet to see one.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    since licensing would be a killer, what you can do is a do a KO TF concept instead. SEND THE BOOKS!

15. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I was saying that making a burger joint and just throwing up pictures and some televisions is something that has been done over and over and over again and will surely fail. Even if you took StarWars and made a burger joint by just throwing up pictures, some simple statues, and televisions everywhere it would fail. Simple as that ... its been done many a time and the only thing that would make it successful is some kick ass burgers.

People will flock to a place with kick ass ambiance, but great burgers before they go to a place with a kick ass burgers, and so-so ambiance. Some of the top restaurants have food that is similar quality to most mid-range ones, but the top rated ones get all of the people because of the ambiance.

I was saying that unless you are going to create some of the best burgers (you have much competition), you have to create the best ambiance to give you an edge ... otherwise it is much more difficult. Without that, you put yourself square in line with hundreds of other places to get a good burger.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    everybody knows to make good burger you need special sauce.

hi welcome to good burger home of the good burger can i take your order.

17. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Someone could operate it as a temporary restaurant from their hotel room during Botcon. All you need is a George Foreman grill and a fridge... :lol 

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh great, now we can look fwd to a botcon post ZOMG GUYZ MY ROOM IS ON FIRE ARRGHHHH

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the only place this might work is at a theme park like Universal Studios or something like that where they already have themed-based stores/restaurants. Outside of that, not sure how many regular peope would want to go to a restaurant based on a kids franchise. Not enough to sustain it for long after the initial opening interest.

Maybe a better option is to make a cartoon based version of Chuck-E-Cheese but not limit it to Transformers but all different cartoons (not all kids like TFs). Both boy and girl themed shows so widen the market (Families with girls probably will not want to go to a TF/GIJoe restaurant but they might go if Strawberry Shortcake stuff is there as well that little Suzie likes). Maybe have a boys-themed area separated from the girls-themed area so one gender doesn't have to wait through the other's portion of the entertainment.

Also it has to include modern stuff as well as 80's stuff. So you'd have to put on Ed, Edd, & Eddy stuff as well since little kids would be familiar with that over Voltron that aired 20 years before they were born.

20. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    lol I was gonna say, it sure would be a hit at Botcon. Have a cart or truck set up outside...I could go for some engergon sticks and a Fort Max burger :)