Anyone here play "The Ship"?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gigatron_2005, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Im thinking of buying this game from Steam. Its only $20, but reviews are hard to come by, and the explanitions of the gameplay are slightly confusing.

From what I can gather, when you join the game you are assigned to murder some random person, and some other random person is assigned to murder you. You have a list of needs that need to be fulfilled that make you vulnerable to being murdered. You have to kill your target without being seen by others, and protect yourself from the one trying to kill you. The gameplay sounds awesome IMO!

So, to those who have this game, how is it? Is the above an accurate description of the gameplay? How many players per server? Are there a long list of you player's needs? Does each player has their own room on the ship to sleep? How do you talk to other players in the game?

Edit: and the game's site: http://www.theshiponline.com/

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I haven't played it, but I can just imagine what a field day Jack Thompson is going to have with it. With the publishers labeling it a "murder game", there's no way he can resist.

3. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

It's freaking great. I bought it on a whim the other day when contemplating Red Orchestra and am loving it. For your questions: Your description is pretty good. It's up to 32 players, though that get's a bit hectic to try and find your prey and not just be bumping into everyone never able to actually kill anybody. There's a fair amount of needs, and they do add a bit of strategy to the game. You can sleep in any bed, or just sit in a chair for a quick rest. You "talk" by just running up to someone and clicking. That meets the requisite for your talking need, and of course gives you that player's character's name.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Will probably get it on payday. Sounds fantabulous. Anything that isn't a brainless FPS or standard MMO is good in my eyes.