Anyone here live/been to Singapore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predakwon, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm gonna have only 1 free day in Singpore on a business trip. Anyone have any personal recommendations? Places to see/meet chics?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    geylang. bwahaha.

ligerprime and op_prime are singaporeans. i dont know if theyre swingers tho.

the place has a thriving night scene with a club scene based euro dj culture. anywhere from bugis to the quays man.

3. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

I went to Madripoor once.

Ha!

4. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Singapore resident here.

Well... you could try hanging out at Clarke Quay/ Boat Quay... plenty of night spots. Back lanes of Orchard Road have some too.

If you're just looking for hookers, then Geylang.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the love of God...I hope you find something better to do than er, the above suggestions! XD

6. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, just wondering if there are any personal experiences. Any places to get Transformers?

Not looking for hookers, but just meeting chics in general. -_^

8. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

lol, you should've mentioned the first bit earlier. We've got plenty.

Where we usually get the rarer stuff is in a building called China Square Central somewhere in China town. In there are several independent import shops. Be just be warned that some of their stuff is priced at a ridiculous rate.

I would suggest going down to Orchard Road and combing each department store's toy section BEFORE going to China Square Central. There's Takashimaya, Isetan, Metro, and a couple of TRUs. Be sure you know the prices of what you're looking for before heading into the small import stores or you can get ripped off (or you could always ask us :3). I speak from painful experience.

There are plenty of other small import shops scattered around the island; LigerPrime, any recommendations?

9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I too will go down to SG this friday (night train, arrive in the morning). Will check out the retailer stores first :3.

10. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Yep, do that. Post in the Singapore sightings thread if you see anything interesting at the big retail stores! :D 

11. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Hahah will do, it's my first trip outside in my entire life. :D 

12. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I was there six years ago. Clarke Quay was TF heaven! It was a business trip, and NONE of my coleagues took me to Geylang. That's VERY impolite to a brazilian tourist!!! :p 

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    as mentioned above, they moved the toy sellers to china square central, FYI.

14. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Ahhh dear ol' home.

China Square Central is the new toy central now, since their exodus from Clarke Quay. But IMO, it's still rather lacking here and there, even on flea market days (Sundays). It is your best shot for toys regardless, just don't expect to find many good say, loose vintages.

15. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to the usual department stores along the Orchard Road stretch unless you intend to do some general shopping as well. If you specifically want to go after Transformers toys, you should go to the specialty stores, and most of them tend to be clustered at the China Square Central toy hub (as others so mentioned), where the prices are also lower than most other places because of the competition between the stores. Department stores usually stock mostly Hasbro stuff, which I'm sure you can get alot cheaper back in the US. (though Takashimaya is an exception as they have a few overstock from previous Japanese TF lines, mostly the Japanese counterparts to the Unicron trilogy line and they are selling pretty cheap). Since you'd probably be able to get Hasbro stuff cheaper at home, so stock up on Takara stuff instead. Not only is there a good selection at the specialty stores, their prices can be comparable to the Hasbro stuff. Indeed one of the advantages of living in Singapore (and probably most of East Asia) is how easy it is to obtain both HAsbro and Takara toys.

As for other things to see here in Singapore. Honestly, I don't think there are many things here that can be said to be "Uniquely Singapore" despite the claims of our tourism board. It is mostly an amalgam of all the various cultures that reside here. But the benefit of that is variety. I recommend that you try eating at one of our local hawker centres situated in the residential districts of Singapore or if you would rather somewhere more sanitised, a food court at any shopping mall will do. Singaporeans pride themselves on eating, and we can at least boast of having a wide selection of food. But if you are looking for some of the top hotspots when it comes to "singapore" cuisine, I'm afraid I can't really enlighten you that much on where to find them, perhaps another of my fellow Singaporeans would care to recommend?

Ahh, those were good days. I still miss the old place.

16. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Must... resist... succumbing... to... cynical... side...

*Ahem* Anyway, as Op_Prime said, head to the hawker centres. I recommend a place called Maxwell Market, not too far a walk from China Square Central (along the way, you'll see a mosque and Hindu temple). A walk around residential estates is a better way to experience Singapore life than a stroll through its commercial district (like Orchard Road), so try the lazy alleys and questionable-looking/smelling wet-markets of Chinatown for starters.