Anyone Here into Live Planted Aquariums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PorkChopKB, Feb 16, 2010.

1. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I have been in the hobby for a few years now and I love it. I have a 75 gallon high tech tank, growing all live plants, no fake shit! I keep congo tetras, a few dwarf plecos, cory cats, and amano shrimp.

Just nice to see if anyone else here is into it.

Here is a picture of my tank.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Yeah I had a 30 gallon tank with amazon swords, wisteria, pygmy chain swords, four leaf clover, money wort and an anubias. Fish were a dwarf pleco, 3 leopard corys, American flag killi, and some cardinal tetras. I also had a pot luck of ghost, algae, and cherry shrimp.

Unfortunately last August the fire sprinkler in my bedroom broke and flooded my apartment. In order to dry the unit the complex set up a bunch of heater/humidifiers(spelling?) without telling me and my tank cooked. I moved back in 3 weeks later to a 30 gallon rotten fish stew. I still haven't gotten around to getting my tank set back up.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

lolwut

4. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I got a new light hood for my 55 gal tank so I can grow plants. Any tips?

5. blumpy2000

It's pretty simple, assuming you stick with the hardier plants. Some of the fancy-dancy ones are a pain to care for. You got the light, you got the water, the only other thing you might need is some fertilizer (I'm assuming that your substrate isn't for plants). You can opt for CO2 for more optimum growth, but I never needed it.

Go to this site for tips. It's the TFW of fish & plants (at least IMO).

Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish - Main Page

The site has difficulty/care ratings and personal reviews for most fish, inverts, and plants.

6. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    you could probably grow what is considered low light plants such as crypts, or anubias. once you start getting into 2.5 to 3 watts per gallon of lighting is when you would need to add co2 and ferts.

what type of lighting is on it? stock hood? how many watts is the light?

plants prefer to grow in small grained gravel or sand. I actually use 3m colorquartz sand with a layer of mineralized topsoil underneath for nutrients.

my tank has 2 rena xp3 canister filters, pressurized co2, 216w catalina t5ho light fixture, uv sterilizer, and a danner mag drive pump for diffusing the co2. lots of money into it but I have made it back with selling the plants as they need trimming.

7. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    get that thing back up!

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perty setup PorkchopKB.
    My parents have had aquariums off and on for the past 30 years, sticking to 55-75 gallon tanks, but i never could get them to try even on a small scale live plants.
    (i'd rather have live plants than the rubbery fake ones or those god-awful backgrounds, lol.
    my dad is a HUGE fan of tetras and ghost cats. He prefers schools rather than one or two big fish.

quick question, though. would a vertical tank be any different than a horizontal tank? like risking overcrowding and cluttering up what little "flat" real estate you got in the tank or water depth being an issue?

at my place, i only have room for possibly a vertical in my living room.

9. blumpy2000

Vertical tanks are fine. Mine is a "tall". There's a couple of things that are a little different with vertical tanks, and they're pretty minor.

First, and again very minor, is that if you want to completely cover the background, not all plants will grow that tall. But, there are plenty of plants out there that grow 2+ feet.

Second, and this is a little more important, realize that water filters the light. So, the more water the light has to go through to reach the plant, the less nutrients the light can deliver. With that said, if you want ground cover to grow well, you might need a stronger light depending on how tall your tank is. I never had any problems, but I also don't recall how strong my lights are.

Other plant selection and light setups, tall tanks are no different than the short guys, at least to my knowledge. If anyone knows different/better than me, feel free to correct me.

10. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    basically the difference as you said is that the taller the tank the stronger the lighting needs to be depending on what you are trying to grow. I have a crinum calamistratum that has leaves over 3' in there.

Your lighting controls how fast your plants grow, but the more light you have the more nutrients you need to give your plants fertilizers for example and co2.

11. Deathbringer

Deathbringer Banned

Totally get a sea snake.Lol.

12. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    anyone have pics of their tanks

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That's gorgeous. I wish my old tank looked anywhere near as good.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    LIVE PLANTS EQUAL FAIL!!!!

yea....we had an aquarium......we added some live plants.....snails completely covered the tank........so yea.....no live plants

15. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    what setup did u have?

what type of plants were u trying to grow?

16. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Awesome I'll check that out!

I had a stock hood on it until after Christmas when I got a new one along with a glass canopy. I researched the lighting part and put the right bulbs in it. They are Coralife Colormax 6700K 65 Watts (2x).

I have standard natural colored gravel in the tank right now so I will look into a new substrate.

For filtration I have one Emperor 400 HOB and one xP3. The xP3 is only filtering around 170 GPH and I know it is supposed to filter a lot more than that. The seals all seem to be alright do you think it might be the motor?

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    no earthly idea, it has been years

18. blumpy2000

If you get your plants online, most of the sites claim that their plants are snail free. I don't know if that's 100% true, but you're less likely to get snails that way. I got most of my plants from liveaquaria.com and never had a problem. I only got the snails after I bought some miscellaneous plants from my local fish store. Believe it or not, I purposefully picked a plant that I knew had a snail on it. <--DUMBASS.

I had a little snail infestation for a while. I didn't mind the snails too much as long as there weren't overrunning the tank. Just had to remove as many of them as I could when I did water changes. That kept them in check. There is a product that will kill the snails, but it will also kill shrimp and other invertebrates too so I couldn't use it. There's some fish that will eat the snails as well, but again they'll probably eat the shimpies too.

Fun tidbit of information: As I was typing "invertebrates" into Google to see if I was spelling it correctly, the first thing to pop up was "inverted nipples". Interesting...

19. blumpy2000

Shoulda multiquoted...

I don't know much about filters, but the only things I could imagine being the problem would be motor related or a blockage or clog somewhere in the system. Is is an old pump? What's the lifespan of a filter? I don't know. Mine was about two years old before I had any problems with it.

20. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    with that amount of lighting you are getting close to a higher lighted tank which could cause you to get black beard algae without co2 added. as far as plants go with snails you could get a few loaches, or even a docile dwarf puffer. it will take care of them if you don't let it get too out of control.

I have had my rena xp3's for about 3 yrs. with no problems. I would check to see if there is anything in the holes where your disconnect plugging it. remember that a filter doesn't pump what it is supposed to when it is filled with media. the gph rating a filter gets is when it has nothing in it. even at the 170gph you have now you have plenty. if you are ever interested in buying plants I always have some for sale. the only snails I have in my tank are nerites. they are killer algae eaters and will keep the glass spotless. they don't breed easily either unless in brackish water.