Anyone Here Into Heroclix or VS. System?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Deefuzz, May 30, 2008.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Recently I had a desire to start getting into a different type of gaming, so I bought a crap ton of VS system cards (some Marvel, some DC) and a crap ton of Heroclix (once again, some Marvel and some DC).

I seldom see any mention of either here on the boards and was wondering if there is anyone out there into this stuff? For as long as I have owned my stuff I was only able to play 1 game of Heroclix which I enjoyed (though not certain I am playing correctly) but for some reason I just couldn't figure out how to play VS system.

Anyone else out there this friggin nerdy?

2. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collected both a while ago but stoped because no one I know played or even wanted to play. That and (at least at the time not so sure about now) they didn't have my favorite characters. So I got a whole bunch just sitting around. I even used some of the Vs. cards as comics. If you are interested shoot me a PM if you want any of my old ones.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Nobody to play with. I have a load of 'clix though :( 

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Same.

Only reason I got outta them was because my local stores stopped carrying them.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have a fairly large amount of Vs cards. Haven't played for ages though.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Always wanted to, but never have. There are some online engines to play the card games though.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I used to play a lot of VS and it has died down at my local shop and I blame upperdeck.

Some idiot there thought they could go up against Magic and release the sets at the same time they did, not realizing that Magic is a much more established game that has more faitful players. The smarter way to release Vs. would be to release a set BETWEEN magic sets, that is the time Magic players are looking for something else to do or are bored with the set that came out and they would pick up Vs.

Its a shame, because I thin Vs is a more in depth strategy game than Magic.

I had a kick ass Avengers deck.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love both games, but have not had the time to maintain playing them. :( 

I feel really bad about it too, there are nice groups of people playing both here in town and I keep vanishing from gaming nights for months at a time.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I collect Iron man heroclix and some various other figures. Notto play, but for display. I have a Hal Jordan, Kingdom Come Superman, and a few select others but almost every Iron man one.

As for VS, never got into it. I was a huge Overpower fan (yea, remember that?) when it was out.

10. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

I used to love Heroclix. When they started screwing around with the rules I lost interest in the game. I stopped collecting them shortly after that.

11. Autoplex

Autoplex Farewell Master Galvatron

News Credits:
    I used to play VS pretty heavily. It was pretty big in Australia (Mostly Sydney, 3 VS players even opened a Card Store and 2 years later they own a chain).

UDE destroyed VS here. It was gigantic because of the Cash Prizes. 10K Tournaments every few months ($10K split in prize money throught the tournament). Then after the Pro Circuit they decided to cut funding to Europe and we fell under it. Take away the prize money and nobody wants to play.

12. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have probably two different starter sets for VS. and both of the instructions read a bit differently. I don't know why it is so hard for us to figure out this game. It seems like there are glaring omissions from one set of instructions, and several "what if this happens" scenarios are not even mentioned.

I REALLY want to learn how to play, and we actually tried again last night. But we got frustrated when we got stuck and just packed it in. I wish there was some sort of book or online resource which was a basic step-by-step "VS. system for dummies" covering an entire match from beginning to end.

Heroclix when I played we had a basic match, we played as newbs and ignored the power up cards. When I go to Wizard World Chicago at the end of June I am hoping they have some Heroclix events for newbies, because I would love to learn to play that correctly. It definitely seemed a little easier for the new player, and was a neat combination of two of my favorite things: collecting figures and playing games.

VS. would be awesome though because I love the card artwork and I have just learned that I dig these card games (My girlfriend taught me Pokemon for the first time two nights ago).

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The one problem I found with VS System is that the rulebooks were completely useless to me. I learned all the rules by talking to the guys that actually played it. XD

14. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then teach me oh wise one!

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

My local comics shop has a Heroclix night every Thursday. I had some store credit from some comics I traded in and decided to give it a try. I've been doing it for the past few months. I'm new at it and I still suck, but it's fun and I'm learning a few things. Between my credit and people having extra figs to give new players plus winning fellowship a few times I've gotten about 50 figs so far without paying for a single one. Here are a few tips for newbies I've learned so far:

Use team abilities. Themed teams usually work to a little extra advantage.

Have someone on your team with probability control and make sure they have a direct line of sight to as many figures as possible, in short take the high ground. Scarlet Witch is a very good character for this.

Outwit and Perplex are nice skills to have on your team, again take the high ground for direct line of sight especially if your character can fly.

You will hate when your opponent uses the Batman team ability, unless you are playing the Batman team ability yourself/too. Use hypersonic/superspeed characters against the Batman team ability and stealth ability.

The Darkseid figure rocks as does an Ultimate Avengers team.

Know the difference between a move action and a power action, etc (I'm still working on keeping all those straight.)

If there's not much time left in the game (say 15 min) just go for it, better to engage that keep running away, your characters may die but it's a better learning experience. Also don't be afraid to "push" your characters at this point either.

In the end a lot of it still comes down to luck and the roll of the dice, some nights it will be in your favor, other nights it won't.

What Heroclix figs do you have so far (or at least some of your favorites so far)?

16. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everything is at home right now in several boxes so I will do my best:

I have a DC starter set, it's an older one that I think has a picture of Superman and the Joker on the cover. The box stands vertically and is able to be peg hung. I think it came with 8 figures and a map, dice, rules, etc.

I have several sleeves of the DC Justice League, some standouts that I can remember having were: Batman, Batzarro, Bizzaro, Brainiac

I also have a few older DC sleeves, but I cannot remember what the series was called...Maybe collateral damage?

Recently I have been buying several of the Marvel Mutations and Monsters series to try to get some Marvel Zombies. I did get the Planet Hulk one: Green Scar, and a Hulkbuster Iron Man which I was very pleased with.

Overall I may have around 40 Heroclix, I just keep buying them!

One of my buddies is in real good with the people who run the comic shop he frequents. The guy who works there is going to set a date with us to teach us VS. system, and help us to learn Heroclix better.

I understand the basics of Heroclix with movement and basic melee battling, but when it comes to using those cards that come with the figures, and using powers and such I am a little confused. And it doesn't seem as though any of the rulebooks I own describe any of that in too much detail.

I am hoping after we meet with this guy that we will get the hang of both games, because it really looks like something I would enjoy.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    between my hometown and the closest real city (population @ 75,000) we have a combined 2 comic shops, 2 toy stores, 4 wal-marts, 2 k-marts 1 target. 3 big box bookstores, and an Electronics Boutique and none of them have any of this.
    TRU for a short while had a few starter sets and eventually they wound up in a discount bin.
    EB had a few sets, but they had those Mechwarrior Dark Ages sets and they collected dust.

our comic shops didn't seem too concerned with it. the owners in Dothan were Warhammer 40k obsessed and the mom and pop store closest to me was odd- they didn't know what half the stuff they were selling was, only that kids came in, they ordered it for em and then upped the price 15 percent for a profit.

i really would have liked to collected the batman figs, but with no fanbase here, couldn't find em and no one wanted to play.

that sucks.
    about 15 years ago, we had a Magic tournament going on every weekend that ran 24 hours straight.
    now, Books a Million has weekend tourneys for Pokemon and some of those other anime CCG games.

18. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

My wife and I got some a year or two ago to play, but we found it to be too annoying. We have quite a few of them. Shoot me a PM. Maybe we could meet up and have some noob heroclix battles.

19. Jazz-Bot

Jazz-Bot Autobot Reconnaisance

I play heroclix down here in Cape Girardeau. My shop has tournament every week and there's about 5-6 guys who do some heavy purchases when the new sets come out.

20. Optimus997

Optimus997 Well-Known Member

Last post for this thread is exactly 2 years ago today! Well, I was searching for heroclix to see if anyone here played it, cause I recently just got back into it. Was about to sell my whole collection just over a month ago, and started reading new rules and powers and got interested again. I think they've made it simultaneously simpler and more complex (if that makes sense).