Anyone here every try NaNoWriMo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Flame, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is just around the bend and I was curious as I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here. Has anyone here every participated? Anyone ever make it?

NaNoWriMo is a friendly "competition" designed to encourage people to stop saying, "I'd like to write a novel someday" and get them to actually write one. So, starting November first, and ending November thirtieth, participants are given the task of writing 50,000 words. Note, the task is not to write a "good" novel, but to just sit down and force yourself to write the words. Cleaning it up into something presentable is then the authors option after the fact. But, getting it started is the name of the game here.

I've done 50,000 words in two weeks before, but haven't ever actually participated in the competition. I'm thinking of signing up this year, and thought it'd be interesting if there were more TFW2005ers that took part in it.

Anyone else going to give it a shot this year?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    A friend of mine talked me into giving it a shot, so I'll be participating for the first time this year. I used to do 8000 word chapters in online stories in a single night, I'm hoping I can get back to that pace for this.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, first novel I wrote was 100,000 words and that took me nearly a year! Second one took about half that time but 50,000 in 30 days is beyond my abilities. :( 

4. Night Flame

It's not as difficult as you think if you either are extremely driven with the story already developed, or don't give a flying crap about it and can just let the words flow. I think most people would be shocked at how many words a day they type in various forums and such.

But it's tough to get past that block in your brain that says if you're writing that much it should be good. I know that's my biggest problem with the challenge. I can do it words wise, but I'll have to just not concentrate on story development to pull it off.

5. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Heheh, finally a chance to archive my life story thus far...

6. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I'm thinking about it. Haven't decided if I will yet or not.

7. Night Flame

Anybody that does it should keep their word count updated in this thread so we can chide eachother into keeping it up for the entire month.

8. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm debating on trying this... I want to, but I have a major novel already in progress that I'm trying to get out as soon as I can, but NaNoWriMo is going to be a major distraction and drain on my creative juices. I have a few ideas, and ones that would coincide with the trilogy I'm writing now.

For those that are into writing, there are two great authors JC Hutchins, and Scott Sigler that are in a writing competition that they want people in on. One of the two was given a deadline to come up with a novel, and broken down it was over a thousand five hundred words a day.. people decided they were going to match him daily struggling to keep up in something called "Solidarity". We're keeping track and competing using Twitter.com to keep tabs.. so far it's been a great kick in the arse to keep me writing.

9. TJOmega

News Credits:
    NaNoWriMo's officially started. Anyone else get a running start at 12:01?

10. Night Flame

I wanted to. I really, REALLY wanted to. But this is my early week at work, so I'm stuck not being able to write until something like six thirty tonight. Which sucks. But that's the way of it.

Now that it's underway, anybody want to share the basics of their novel?

Here's mine: A man who's got a fairly extreme interest in dragons and dragon lore falls in love and is married to a woman who has a mysterious past. All he knows is that she was disowned by her parents and forcibly removed from her home. She reveals to him on their wedding night that she is, in fact, a dragon. Unfortunately, someone else spots this revelation and makes it his life's obsession to prove what he saw was real.

My inspiration: I've always had an interest in dragons. I'd been married for a couple of years when I found out I'd married a dragon. OK, so reality isn't quite as cool as fantasy, but it was something.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
  12. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I started earlier today, got a few pages done, but I've got to go to work now. I figure if I can get roughly 6 pages a day done I'll make it. Its kinda funny, when I started I was writing everything real fast and condensed, but as I kept going I was adding more detail and words to what was going one.

13. TJOmega

News Credits:
    My novel's inspired by one of the random conversation topics me and a friend usually pass around. She asked if humans vanished off this planet tomorrow, what the next dominant species would be in 100,000 years. Thinking about that and what that culture would know, I couldn't think of an answer, but I could imagine that the roads, the buildings, all our structures we made would just be a part of nature for them because they've always been there... Kind of like how we view trees, canyons, caves and such. So what if someone made that that, as well?

The story goes like this. One one side, we have a teenage boy who discovers the tree he's been attached to since he was little actually holds a creature named Amara, a Floret, which is kind of a big plant-like fairy. Amara can craft the natural world around her like an artist crafts a sculpture, but because she was woken up before she was ready her memories and purpose are lost to her. On the other side, we have FEAST - Foiling Earth's Appetite and Stifling Turmoil. It's a cult lead by a man named Mortis who hold to an ideal that the planet is a massive parasite, growing humans just to consume their souls when they reach their prime. They carry supernatural powers of unknown origin, and are after the power Amara possesses, the power to change the very planet, to end it's hunger for human life and bring about an immortal race.

I've got a scene from the first chapter up on my profile page already, which is here:
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/224307

What's everyone else's author pages so we can keep track of each other?

14. Night Flame

That's the joy of NaNo. There's a lot of crap that comes out of any of the fast-writing projects, but there's always wonderful little pearls of beauty and depth hidden in that crap. The key is to get it out there in a form you can edit later and either add or subtract content to get a cohesive story.

Funness.

My Author Page is http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/229601 though I don't know how often I'll update it. That site is so painfully slow I can't even stand looking at the forums past the hour of about four in the morning or so. By six AM it's at the point where you can barely get a page up.

15. Night Flame

OK, I finally got started last night at about eight-thirty. And though I got a late start, I pounded the keyboard for 1,953 words in about an hour and a half, so I don't feel too horrible about it. My first two scenes/first chapter are all sewn up and I'm ready to lay out the biggest 'oh wow' moment to kick the story from reality to fantasy. Tonight should see me writing the first scene of the novel that's been rolling around my head for a good number of years. And from that point it should turn into a really easy to write story, if not a good one.

I've been shocked at how easily the scenes fell into place once I started writing. Of course, that's always the way of it in the beginning. Hopefully I can keep that momentum going for the next four weeks.

16. TJOmega

News Credits:
    ...well, we're doing a great job keeping each other up :lol 

I had a zero-word saturday, second one, and today I'm dead in the water, I cant get any kind of momentum going... I was hoping I'd hit this a little later into the month when my story was getting more interesting.

17. Night Flame

As for me, I jumped a giant hurdle today. Went to Dethklok on Thursday, so I lost that day. Had Friday off from work, but somehow managed to get it so filled to the brim with extra shit that I didn't get any writing done that day at all, not even off-nano writing. Saturday turned into another day like Friday and I began to despair. Today?

My wife told me to just sit down and do it, and damn the rest of the world. And I did. I jumped from twelve thousand this morning to eighteen thousand and something by this evening. This is going to be a rough week, being my early week at work again. But I'm going to buckle down and do it. Next weekend is busy as hell, and the week following will be crazy, so I need to get a word jump this week to even think about finishing.

Here's to hoping we all pull through. At least my story is getting interesting enough now to keep me in it. Hopefully life doesn't throw up too many roadblocks.

18. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I did about 4 pages and stopped. Instead I've been spending my time with a wonderful young woman I recently met. XD

19. Night Flame

So, I'm just over the thirty-thousand mark, feeling like this thing is a HUGE waste of time, and I should probably just scrap it to save any of humanity from ever having to read such complete and utter dreck, and I get my weekly "Pep Talk" email. This week's from? NEIL FREAKIN' GAIMAN!

OK, so I'm mildly excited to get this email. Being the master of oddity, I just love anything the guy writes. And then the oddity hit immediately.

He's talking about how in the middle of writing a book he calls up his agent and says he just wants to delete it and write something else because it's all crap. His agent says, "so you're at that point in the book, huh?" He realizes that he goes through that in every book just past the halfway point, and that every other author does to.

So, I'm freaking out, because, I do nothing the same as everyone else. And yet, here's Neil freakin' Gaiman saying he has the same problem I have, and the same problem everybody else has. And so, I get pumped and get back on it.

Those pep-talk emails don't usually do much for me. They're usually from people I've either not ever heard of, or have heard of and don't particularly care for their work. And they're usually describing some problem I don't really have to deal with. This one hit it right on the head for me.

So, just past thirty thousand, and dreading the next word. But I'm still keeping at it. Perfection be damned. There's writing to be done.

Anyone else here still left in the race?

20. TJOmega

News Credits:
    I had a horrid week, aside from not having the peace and quiet I needed to write my grandmother ended up in the hospital on top of everything else... I'm only at 24,000 words but I'm going to try to get back on pace this week.