Customs: Anyone hear of this company?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by reluttr, Jul 20, 2009.

1. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shapeways

Its looks really neat since you just need to make it in their 3d modeling tool and order. I was thinking of making a matrix with a hole in the center so I could insert my own gem.

But I have no idea how much these people charge or how reliable it is :( 

has anyone else had a good experience using shapeways?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Not used shapeways, but I have used another service that was similar.

I've spent a lot of time researching the 3D rapid prototyping biz and all I can say is you get what you pay for. If you want something really detailed, you are going to pay a lot for it. If you want something that is mediocre, but works, then it is somewhat affordable.

Here is something I got made for $18 shipped at another company.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/218979-rapid-prototyping-sample.html

Using Shapeways cheapest material, it would be $33, plus shipping. But it appears the detail would be higher.

3. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could you please pm me the name of the company you used to "print" your part. Im really needing a way to make a head for my Custom Fort Max and since I lack any putty or sculpting skills and it is nearly impossible to get ahold of a energon Omega Supreme, then my only option is to use this type of service, and simply have them print a simple headmaster "it will transform really closely to the original cerebros, except it will have a plus plug in it so I can put it on a bionicle ball joint :D "