Anyone have to deal with a milk allergy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jourdo, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So, it appears my son has some type of sensitivity to milk. We are not sure if it is just lactose intolerance or an allergy to cow's milk. We are waiting for the referral to a pediatrician from our GP (so I am not looking for medical advice here).

What I want to know, is for people who do have to deal with an allergy... how do you do it? Fricking milk or milk proteins are in just about everything. We are in the processess of switching him over to soy milk and are trying to eliminate the cow's milk products for the next couple of weeks (as per the doc's instructions) to see what happens with him.

Our other dilemma with this is our son is very selective with what he eats. He LOVES dairy products (cheese, yogurt, milk, etc.). This throws a little monkey wrench into the routine. We've slowly discovered there are alternatives to this products, but the transition is going slowly.

So, any advice on this type of thing with those who have had experience with it?

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I'd suggest going to a doctor first just to see how bad it is. Milk allergy's seriously blow. My cousin had one so bad that milk was pretty much like acid to him and he could die from even the smallest amount. You gotta watch everything you eat because milk is in everything. Its not fun man. But go to the doctors to see how bad it is.

3. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Not really an allergy, but after drinking milk, I get the nastiest gas..and lots of it. Nothing really life threatening to me, but to those around me in a 10 foot radius..beware.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I grew up with a milk allergy. My parents substituted goat's milk instead of cow's milk, no more problem there. After years of not touching the stuff, it seems to have gone away so I don't have problems with cow's milk anymore. Mine wasn't a life threatening one or anything, though.

One thing to check if your kid loves cheese and such is if Goats milk causes a problem. Goat's milk is a great deal less allergenic than cow's and something like 40% of people with milk allergies can eat or drink products made with goat's milk. It's not a sure thing though, so check it first.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    We did see our GP. He recommended a couple weeks off of cow's milk to see what happens. He said he would set up a referral to a pediatrician for us for further follow-up... although I did kind of wonder why not refer to an allergist as well... but what do I know.

6. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Yeah, everyone is actually intolerant of milk (except for people descended from a certain country in Europe).

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    aw, bummer for the lil fella. hope you guys find a fix.

8. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Somewhere in Northern Europe anyway. And most kids can digest milk, but lose that ability as they grow older. (Yes, this makes every milk-tolerant adult a mutant.)

Jourdo, I had a mild milk allergy when I was really young. It was a bummer because I loved cereal, I ended up using non-dairy creamer for the milk, which was straight-up gack. I grew out of it after a couple years, though. With any luck, your kid will too.

9. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I highly recommend any product from Lactaid. Their products have completely changed my life (cliched I know). But I have a severe lactose intolerance. I use their chewables when I want anything dairy, but I've switched over to their milk (much better tasting than soy milk) and their ice cream. This would be more for when your child gets older, but having these types of options early can better prepare for transitions in diet.

I wish you and your son the best of luck. As someone who has dealt with digestive problems my entire life, I can relate.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I have IBS, which means that I shit my brains out after eating just about anything. Fast food? 20 min later, if even that, I'm running to the toilet. Hell, I do that just eating my mother in law's cooking. But on the bright side, I've never been constipated in my life

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have colitis, so I know exactly what that is like. 4 Months ago, I started taking somethign called Digestive Advantage at the suggestion of a physician. With the Digestive Advantage, and the Lactaid products, my entire life has been changed for the better. I had results in less than 36 hours and have been problem free since beginning to take this pill. They make a pill for IBS as well. It's over the counter and it's been like a miracle pill for me.

http://www.digestiveadvantage.com/prod_ibs.html

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Wow a topic like this really opens the flood gates to all sorts of personal issues that we all have.

Jourdo, Hope your boy will bounch back from this and in my experiance kids usually do better at controlling their diets then adults, so I'm sure that he will do fine with it.

13. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well we saw the pediatrician the other day, and no real answers from that appointment. Just more questions. He wants us to eliminate all soy products now -- which if you thought milk was hard to watch out for, soy is even worse. He is wondering about a soy allergy. He basically wants us to go through an elimination diet to see if his symptoms improve. But from a logical point of view, does this not remove too many factors at once to really zone in on the problem?

However... things just don't jive for me. All of my instincts tell me that this is not an allergy. He doesn't have any real systemic symptoms, other than the good ol' runny poop (which really is not diagnostic for an allergy as far as I know). No skin rash, no flushing, no throat closing, etc. I also question why we are not getting referred to an allergist at this point if allergy (and a potentially very serious one) is suspected - the pediatrician mentioned referring to one if the diet thing worked... huh??

I'm seeing my GP on Monday anyways, so I will be asking him some of these questions, but could some of you medical types tell me why you would not test for an allergy if you suspect one?

14. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Yea.. ask your GP for a second opinion...

If i was worried about allergies, I would ask for an allergy test.. but I don't know if you need to jump through hoops just to get one... or if they take requests for what else to test for besides the standard allergies..

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I personally would suspect that your kid is actually reacting to things in the processed milk and soy rather than the milk and soy themselves. Factory farmed milk has turned out to be full of antibiotics and hormones, etc., and one of the more popular GM soy grains manufactures its own pesticide - I won't go into it more here, you can research it online.

I grew up with a milk allergy, and still have it. But that was back when there weren't as many choices as there are today. I had to go cold turkey and have non-dairy creamer and water on my cereal. Lucky kids today can get goat, nut, oat, rice, and soy (if you decide to try it anyway vanilla tastes close to regular milk) milks. And you can also get raw milk and cheeses that do work for other people with 'milk allergies' like myself. They're as close to 'straight from the cow' as you can get, non-processed and organic, so no hormones, etc. And for me, with my lifetime allergy, the raw cow milk DOESN'T set my allergies off. You can also get yogurts and ice creams made from other types of milk than cow.

You might want to take a bit of time and research online about the various milks and how they can help your son, and then maybe take a trip to your local organic market or see what you can get online if there's none in your area, and do some taste testing. I would bet there's probably even a forum out there for mothers of kids with food allergies. If you're worried about his calcium intake, get an easily digestible form of calcium in tablet form, or even have him just take a daily Tums.

--Moony

16. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It sounds like your son may have a lactose intolerence. I've been allergic to lactose since I was a kid. Milk used to make me so sick to my stomach I would literally be up for hours at night with terrible pains. After a few days passed, I finally just threw up what my stomach was unable to digest. Then I felt fine. Nowadays, it just gives me severe gas pains and the shits. But when my pediatrician finally realized what was making me sick, I started drinking either Lactaid milk or Dairy Ease. Although, I don't think Dairy Ease exists anymore, but I still drink Lactaid to this day. I also have to take one or two Lactaid Ultra pills so I can eat pizza and the like.

I wish you and your son well. I would definitely suggest getting a second opinion. It certainly couldn't hurt. Good luck.

17. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This might sound crazy, but think about still giving him the milk. When I was a kid, I was allergic to peas, whenever I ate them, my lips had a small swell and they started to itch painfuly. My mother continued to give it to me, and over time I stopped having those ill effects.