Anyone have this problem with Comcast?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipwreck, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Recently when I turn on cartoon network from a regular analog TV without a cable box and just a basic cable wire hooked up I get a message that says

"This channel is now available with a Cable Card or digital cable box from comcast"

Does anyone know able these cable cards? Or would I receive the channel if I got one of the analog to digital converter boxes?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    sounds like comcast removed the channel from your package in order to get you to upgrade.

they did that with me. took away sci-fi channel and wanted me to upgrade to get it back. ditched them and went with dish network.

3. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

The channel is still there on the TVs I have a box for which I'm not sure if its a signal thing or what

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    After the digital switch if you don't have a cable box we lost everything over channel something in the 30's (I forget the exact one). And it sucks because I preferred not having a box. Boxes make using something like TiVo a pain in the ass.

5. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Yup, Cartoon Network got stripped here, too... fuck it, barely watched anything on the channel anyway.

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Drop them and get Direct TV or Dish Network. Cable is very wishy washy like that. I dropped cable 15 years ago and have never gone back.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    ^ DirecTV for the win. You usually get MORE channels added than dropped.

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    It shouldn't have had anything to do with the digital switch. That only affected rabbit ears. But many cable companies are moving channels onto higher tiers, which requires a box or cablecard. My company did it with one of the Spanish channels, and a lot of people got pissed. Companies moving analog tier channels to digital tiers has nothing to do with the federal over-air digital switch, though.

The reason why cable companies are doing this is they are running out of bandwidth. The amount of channels always increases, yet the amount of bandwidth available for a cable companies to broadcast on usually stays the same. With the advent of more and more HD channels, which take up very large amounts of bandwidth, the have to do something to make room. Because of digital compression, you can fit up to 14 digital channels in the same space as a single analog channel. So you can see why they would be tempted to move channels to digital-only tiers.

All a cablecard is is an alternative to a digital cable box, but you have to have a compatible digital tv. It plugs into a slot and basically your TV acts like a digital cable box and gives you the channels you normally had to have a box to get.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  9. GogDog

News Credits:
    I am always amused by the ignorance of how TV works.

No one "dropped" channels. The channel was moved to a tier that requires a box. In fact, EVERY channel on DirecTV requires a box, so in effect what happened here is they just became MORE like DirecTV. Lawl.

10. kenm2474

This is why cable sux. This dose not happen with Direct TV, Dish Network. There is no switching boxes or adding cable cards with the DTV switch. There is no get a new cable box to receive your channels that you have been receiving be for. There is no Bandwidth issue with Satellite so that problem like with cable wont happen.

11. GogDog

News Credits:
    You might be right in some respects, but also, you HAVE to buy a box in order to get ANY channels. With cable, you at least get an OPTION to view a basic set, often for less than $20 a month, with no extraneous equipment. Again, logic hole. Nice try though.

I'm not defending cable companies. I work for one and cannot WAIT to find another job. But some of the stuff I read is silly.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  12. kenm2474

I thought that after the DTV switch that you have to get a box regardless now through cable?

13. GogDog

News Credits:
    Nope, although that is a large misconception, often propagated by TV resellers. Cable systems are an enclosed system and have nothing to do with over-the-air broadcasts. The only people affected by the Digital Switch are those that use backyard antennae or rabbit ears. My company still has thousands of customers that have cable with no box.

14. kenm2474

Ohh okay go it. I still think Satellite is Superior to cable. I have had it for 15 years now and only twice has there been a price change. When I had cable you couldnt count on what you would pay from month to month. I just think that cable television is like cassette tapes and will over the next 10 years or so be replaced totally.

15. GogDog

News Credits:
    To be honest, I think cable will more than likely merge with the internet when all TV becomes digital and interactive. The line between a TV and a computer will blur very much over the next decade or so. Many people already watch their TV shows on the internet. Companies like Revision3 are on the front lines. The "TV on demand" phenomenon is a precursor of what is to come.

16. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Comcast was confusing the hell out of people with their ads. They would play their "If your with Comcast, your ready!" ads, then they would play the "If you have comcast and do not have a Cable Box, you will lose channels 31 and up. See your local Comcast store to recieve up to 3 free Digital boxes". Basicly, Comcast was converting ALL of its channels to 100% digital. They found that for every analog channel, they could fit 3 to 4 digital channels. So people left and right were calling and writing complaints to Comcast when they lost a ton of channels. If Qwest did FIOS internet in my area, I would drop all of Comcast's crap in a heartbeat.

17. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hear you. And actually, you can fit 14 digital channels in the space of a single analog channel. Honestly though, Comcast has one of the worst customer service records of any American company currently. It's WAY below the median.

18. kenm2474

Thats great information to here GogDog. Thanx.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have cable- Time Warner- and after the Switch, nothing changed.
    TV in the living room has a box, but my PC monitor has just a cable running into it and nothing is wrong with it.

i didn't buy a HD package. don't really need it.
    So your problem seems Comcast-centric.