ANyone have KO Dinobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by mpau25, Jul 10, 2012.

1. mpau25

mpau25 Well-Known Member

KO Dinobots?

Has anyone picked up any of the KO Dinobots lately? I heard the first runs were quite poor, but some of the later reviews made it sound like a lot of the old issues were corrected.

The only KO I've had before was Mirage and it was almost on-par with the newer reissues from Takara/Hasbro.

Just wondering how the quality is or if there are any glaring differences between the originals.

Thanks in advance!

2. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got them all, and they're great! Get them, and enjoy 'em

3. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

No bogus Dinobots here, but my KO frenzy looks better than his Legitimate counterpart even if he IS about a millimeter or 2 taller, heavier, and lacks part of the molded stamps on his lower back sides. I may actually display my Counterfeit in place of his authentic counterpart.

4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I wasn't particularly impressed with the first run of Swoops but I had an original and it wasn't much to write home about either.

Mirage was perfect. Sunstreaker's great except his stickers fall off. Wheeljack's solid too but alot of them ship with chipped paint and loose shin panels.

5. Fort_Fett

Fort_Fett iRkeN iNvaDR

The only dinobot KO I have is Swoop. Got him a few months ago from Chimchumg.com or whatever that place is called. Only issue I had with him was one of the wings was too stiff and it ended up cracking just a tad at the bottom bracket. Other then that I have no problems with. I think he might have been missing 2 stickers, but no biggie. Also came with a rub symbol which I wasn't expecting.

6. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got Swoop and Snarl from KOToys, don't know if they were first run or not, Swoop is nice althought I broke the beak cause I'm stupid, Snarl in dinosaur mode stands over his front legs and the tail, his back legs are floating and that sucks. Other than that not too bad.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

Finally bit the bullet and ordered these. That means the encore versions should be announced any day now.

Your welcome.

8. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got Sludge and Snarl. Sludge was awesome and I'm glad I got him. Snarl's right rear leg (right robot arm) broke as soon as I took it out of the box. I contacted the seller, they responded, I sent more info, and I haven't heard anything back. Which KOs did you want to get?

9. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

The OP was from 2012, so I'm assuming he made that decision two years ago ;) 

10. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    For anyone wondering, they unfortunately are not the best of the KO Reissues. Here are some notes:

Grimlock - weapons may not fit in his hands, gold is too dark, sometimes has problems with the robot head mold. Dinohead has nothing stopping it from tilting all the way back. Overall solid if you can work around the weapon issues.

Slag - extremely tight wings and legs making the need to be careful when transforming him extreme. Depending on what version you get, may have incorrectly colored robot or dinosaur mold chrome panels (was corrected in later runs). Sometimes early runs also had a problem of no fist holes.

Diaclone Slag - Slag in Blue or Red - all issues corrected in my version and is a flawless toy as if he were a reissue.

Sludge - major issue, his rear dinolegs do not pull out all the way. They are left jutting out at an angle - it is an assembly error with no easy way to fix, and if you try and pull them all of the way out they will snap off. Chest and robot face paint also usually sloppy and gold chrome is once again too dark like Grimlock.

Snarl - As stated before, in dino mode his legs are not flush, not sure how they did it but for some reason his tail and front legs are at such an angle as to keep his rear legs from reaching the ground. It isn't far and it isn't terrible, but you might notice it if you look for it. Also, much like Sludge often has sloppy chest and face paint. Also, his clear parts are way too dark killing the effect. I heard they lightened this in later versions but have yet to confirm. Launcher also doesn't have gray ring as it should.

Swoop - early runs had glued-on or unassembled robot mode heads. Later runs fixed this. His lauchers won't fit in his wings, the pegs are too small, meaning you will have to use nail polish on the wings and launchers (or some other method) to make both tight enough to hold. They're fine in robot mode though. Chest transformation is very tight so you have to be careful and his chest paint can again be spotty but is usually pretty good on later runs.

Diaclone Blue Swoop/Gold Weapons Swoop - Is amazingly perfect and accurate to the Diaclone blue release including all of the original, un-safetyfied molding like a pointy beak, pointier wings, pointy tail, etc. Only issue is, now his launcher's pegs are too long to fit into his wings because they have a round knob on the end - simply cut this off and they will fit - however it is tight and might cause some stressing on the peg hole on the wing but it really isn't something you'll notice. If it feels too tight you could always shave the peg down a little.

In summary, recommend the Diaclone updates of both Slag and Swoop, as they are both of good quality and rarity considering their chances of being reissued at this point appear to be slim to none.

The rest are mildly recommended - you are rolling the dice. Might get a pretty good set, could have a pretty bad set. If they were interested in putting out corrected versions of Grimlock, Sludge, and Snarl like they did with the Diaclone Slag and Swoop I would be interested.

11. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

thanks for the info!

12. ComputronX

ComputronX Till all are MP

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My first bunch of KO Dinobots I bought a few years ago was nearly perfect!
    No issues at all. They were really as good as the originals.
    The last Dinobots I ordered where not the same quality. The gold chrome is terrible, joints are loose, weapons don't hold...

13. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got all of the KO Dinobots except Sludge. I picked up the Red Cartoon accurate Slag, and the Blue Cartoon accurate Swoop. The Swoops missile pegs were too long, so I had to file them down, but they are great. The labels, not so much. So I applied Repro labels. I don't think Takara or Hasbro have the moulds any longer unfortunately, but you'll be happy with the KO's.

14. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, mine had only minor issues. No sticker issues except blue Swoop was missing the factory stickers. Don't want to post a 3rd review but quick notes:

Snarl: Translucent plastic is off, but the biggest issues was the chest cockpit was jammed INTO the chest.

Swoop Blue: BEAUTIFUL. No factory stickers and gun pegs were too long

Sludge: Perfect

Slag Red: Chest flap is super stiff.

Grimlock: Chest won't click in in robot mode.

15. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

Honestly, if someone really wanted Dinobots, I would recommend them buying the G2 versions before I ever recommended the KOs. You can even find some still in the original G2 packaging for cheaper than the KOs go for on Ioffer.

16. mjaSoundwave

mjaSoundwave Well-Known Member

Where can I order a set of KO Dinobots?

17. Grimlock4523

Grimlock4523 Me Grimlock, KING!!!

I got a full set and also the cartoon accurate red Slag and Blue Swoop. They are awesome and excellent quality.

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I got the whole set a year or two ago, all are awesome except Snarl, he had a bunch of issues like miss-assembly, bad paint, etc. I fixed what I could but he needs his whole die cast chest repainted.

The others had minor issues here and there but nothing too bad.