Anyone have a good, serious idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeker311, Jun 19, 2007.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Im a social worker for foster care and this summer were trying to come up as to what we can do for the kids in our care. Weve thought about asking for donations or passes from movie theatres and Sixflags, but alot of those businesses are hard to convince. Anyone know what or where good results could be found?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    There are always the cheap-to-free places - museums, parks, etc. Now, before you call the "boring" flag, it's important to note that some of these places do have pretty inexpensive packages for summer camp kids. My little brother worked for a summer camp one year and he saved the camp budget a few hundreds by taking the kids to a park and two museums.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

At the risk of sounding horrifically cynical, places like Six Flags might be persuaded to offer discounts if you manipulate them into doing so. Promise to bring them good press and they might bite.

Another thought: maybe you could contact local universities to see if they have any students/graduate students/professors that might be persuaded to teach them special classes. I don't know - again, it's just a thought. And again, using good press as a carrot may help you with this. Universities love getting free positive publicity. (Who doesn't?)

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Swimming, fishing, what Ops & spekkio said, put put golf, basketballing , tennis etc courts, forest campings, scavenger hunts at historical places , or in a big mall, firisbee golfing, concerts...

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Contact vsatx.org. I do Big Brothers, Big Sisters here in Atlanta, and this organization provides all sorts of deals and tickets to groups like your's. We've received free passes to musuems, basketball games, and more.

Another suggestion might be to arrange a tour of a fire station. Kids love that stuff and the one time we did that, the firefighters were very friendly and cooperative. Just be prepared with a backup plan.

In a similar vein, most police departments have outreach programs for schools. Those guys won't be as busy during the summer, so you might be able to arrange for an officer to come out and show his car, etc. to the kids, and give a talk about safety or whatever.

Contact the Spurs directly, see about getting a block of seats for a day game or something. Might be a longshot, it works better in Atlanta 'cause the Hawks blow. Still the press thing is always a good idea, and the tickets might be tax-deductible for the team depending on the nature of your group.

Pet day: bring your animals in and take 'em all to a dog park. This is probably an age-dependent activity, and might not be feasible for a variety of reasons.

You have a variety of military bases in the area. I don't know much about most of 'em, but Ft. Sam Houston has a military medical musuem that's pretty cool. Has an old hospital train which is especially neat. Don't know about ticket prices, but you could try them. There's other stuff at Ft. Sam--call around at the base and see if you'd be allowed to use the obstacle course (it's not what it looks like in the movie) with supervision. Again, that's a little more age-dependent, but might be a cool day.

With a little luck and hard work, it wouldn't be impossible to arrange for the kids to get Humvee rides on base, either.

Finally, OWAT's on point with the musuems. They're only as boring as you let them be. When we take our 'lil' brother' to them, we reward him at the end with pizza or something, and insist that he learn three new things to share with us and his mom.

Anyways, that's all I got.

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Most baseball parks have low-cost seats - Coors Field has a large section where the seats are only $4, making it easier to take a large group.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I didn't think about this before, but for sports that San Antonio doesn't have a major league team for, you could see about any local college teams that play intramural sports during the summer. Even something like Ultimate Frisbee might be fun for the kids to watch. That would almost certainly be free, long as you promise to have the kids cheer for the home team.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno about your area, but around here, a lot of the theatres (including mine) do free summer kid shows on some weekday mornings. At my last theatre in Columbus, there was one that ran .50 or $1.00 shows. Check and see what might be offered around you. If they don't have it, mention it, and they might be able to do something next summer.

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Public museums could be an avenue, though I grant I've been a science nerd since age 4.

Someplace like Six Flags may give you passes for a slow day - usually midweek - since they make money on souveniers and concessions.

For sports, are there any minor league teams nearby? They are always fun, desperate for good PR, and relatively cheap.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    cool, thanx guys I will certainly try the suggestions quick as the foster parents are getting antsy.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I do, but im not telling it. Somebody would steal it fast.