Anyone had their Xbox Live account recently hacked? (FIFA'd)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flywheels, Jan 20, 2012.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife calls me @ work this morning to say that my Facebook page said I had just played FIFA 12 Soccer for the first time. She knew I was at work and wondered what was going on. I logged into my account from work and sure enough - I had been hacked. 2700 MS points gone. $125.00 charged to my CC. Even my Windows Live secret question was in another language.

Microsoft is telling me I'll lose my Gold Live access for 20-30 days while they investigate. I have no idea if I'll get my points back or if the charges will be reversed on my CC. I was told I could start a 2nd Gold account or a Silver account, but none of the game progress could be migrated over to my suspended account. They didn't even offer me a 30 day pre-paid Live code!

This really blows. Apparently though this is happening to a lot of accounts. Has anyone else here been compromised? If so, how was the resolution?

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    And this is why I use prepaid credit cards.

3. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wouldn't have mattered if I had used a prepaid card. In fact when I renewed my Live membership in October I used a prepaid code card.

My Windows Live account was hacked - they changed the password and everything. Since Live and Xbox accounts are basically one they had access to my card on file - not the full number.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Interesting. I'd heard some weird stuff going on with EA's/FIFA's security a couple weeks ago.

Not really aware of any concrete solutions. I would just wait until the investigation is over and then take it from there. Best of luck!

5. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Somewhat related: I got a message from xbox live telling me that my subscription was expiring soon, but:
    1.) I have auto-renewal
    2.) I'm all set until the end of September where my 12 month subscription will automatically renew itself.

o_O  I deleted the message, removed all payment options and cancelled auto-renew. Changed all my passwords also.

Hope everything works out for you dude. That really sucks :( 

6. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

sorry to hear about your problem flywheels. i hope it gets taken care of in a quick manner. my account seems to be okay as i just checked a minute ago. after the whole ps3 got hacking thing, i've become paranoid with having cc info on my consoles. i ended up canceling the credit card and got a new one before i'd get some serious charges. i only go prepaid too, with a prepaid for a year of xbox gold.

good luck, i hope those hackers didn't get your cc info.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry to hear it.

8. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta give Microsoft props. They resolved the whole issue, refunded my money and MS points and gave me 30 days of Live for free in about day.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Awesome, man. Glad to hear it!

10. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Wow, nice!

11. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Wow, a lot better than waiting a month! Good to see everything resolved in a timely manner.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Hot damn!

13. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    Did they ever catch the person who did this to you?

14. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no idea, but apparently this FIFA thing has effected a lot of people so I'm guessing that is why it was fixed so quickly.

15. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ Wow you got lucky. ^^

Did you notice anything else gone wrong with your computer, programs, or any other accounts?

16. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the Fifa exploit has been making the news quite a bit. EA's taking a lot of heat for it.

Of course, by this point Microsoft and EA have had a lot of practice in dealing with these issues so I'm glad to hear they've gotten the routine down to a 24 hour turnabout. Glad it all worked out for you!

17. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I read this and after hearing about a friend of mine having HIS account hacked, I tried to remove my credit card info from Live. In case anyone tries and can't, here's how -

Apparently under Xbox Live's terms of service, folks NEED to have a credit card on file. Well f-ck that - I called Xbox Live and explained that I loved the service, I just didn't want my info out there. So what they did was by removing my card they had to CANCEL the service - don't worry, your gamertag and everything stays there - and what happened was I have three months left on my annual membership - they issued me a "token" or redeemable code to enter that gave me 3 months of Xbox Live. When it expires, I'll just call them and renew it - probably with a prepaid card or PayPal. So - it's like it never cancelled, all my games and stuff are still there, and my credit card info is not on their system anymore.

So - if you want to remove your credit card info, don't let them tell you they can't - because they CAN.

18. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

My brother got FIFA'ed. Took several weeks to get his account back.

19. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the info!

20. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Its been an issue, but no one is sure where the "hack" is coming from. Fifa is a common trait because of the Ultimate Team Cards and its worldwide popularity.

The EA forums were hacked a while back, they use the same log-in/password as you EA/Origin account that you need to link to your gamertag to play EA games. When I created my EA account I used the same password as my Live account but changed it after losing my email and ebay accounts that usd the same log-in info. I'm not sure if this is the cause since I've only ever seen one person admit that thier WLID log-in was shared across multiple online accounts including thier EA account.

MS has been banning accounts and consoles that are using the items and stolen accounts. I saw some one on twitter gloating to Stepto (the head of XBL policy and enforcement) that they had just banned his sixth console but he already had more.

Some people have lost thier accounts for 3+ months if they were transferred to a new region (usually Russia, I believe MS turned off region migration now though) because they have to pretty much reprogram the account line by line due to the way licenses work by region.