Anyone had lasik?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisr291, Oct 16, 2009.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My girlfriend is getting Lasik done as we speak because she is super blind.
    Anyhow, I'm not that bad but i'm considering Lasik now but i've just got some questions....

To be honest, the guy is literally talking to me as I type this but it sounds to good to be true. My GF's bill is around 5 grand but they can't even guarantee 20/20 vision and afterwards, she may still be required to wear glasses.

Whats up with that? Seems kind of expensive but has it worked for anyone?

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My wife had it done. She has 20/15 now and was blind as a bat before. It was around $3,000.

3. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

One of the guys at work had laser surgery and he said he was fine for about a year and then he had to wear glasses again.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was considering Lasik or some other form of laser eye surgery, but now I'm having my doubts as to whether it would work for me. I've had glasses since third grade, and I can't even read anything on my computer screen when I take my classes off. Sad...

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

A friend of mine had it done several years ago, and is still 20/20.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, she just finished. I spoke with one of the surgeons (would you call them that?) and she told me that glasses would probably still be needed to see up close.

Sounds like it has worked for a lot of people here.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Lasik is kinda like plastic surgery for the eye right? From what I got is that it's different from laser eye surgery.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I still prefer my glasses.

9. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I just had mine a couple of months ago, actually. At first, it took a while for my vision to even out (my right eye had a bit of minor inflammation for a while, but it wasn't a big deal), but as of my last optometrist's visit a month ago, I have 20/20 vision.

I hope you picked a good place, because I had my surgery for about $1900 an eye, and this was one of the best eye surgeons in the nation. This place had a guarantee that if my vision ever reached below 20/40, they'd provide touch-ups to fix it at no cost.

I'd say it's worth it in the long run, especially since I was also super blind, and if I ever lost my glasses in an emergency, I'd be screwed. And really, no surgery ever really has guaranteed results, but at the very least, your GF should walk out with thinner glasses or less dependency on them. Hopes this helps your decision, bro.

10. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    This thread will certainly help me to make a decision whether or not I go under the laser

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm on the waiting list onbase to get it done. We only have to pay for transportation and lodging if we get selected. I'm sick of wearing glasses and contacts.

12. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I got it December of '07, and while it may not be PERFECT, it is so much better, holy crap, how great it feels to not need the glasses or contacts that you had before. Some things are only a little blurry, so if you're super anal to wanting "perfect" then you may need to get glasses, but honestly, you won't need them. You can read street signs, you can read from a distance, it's so much better. I recommend it (if you have bad enough vision, it shouldn't be just to avoid wearing glasses/contacts).

13. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    This word for word. And it included life-time touchups. As they explained it to her, the worse the vision is at start, you will have more improvement, but there is a chance that over the first 12-18 months it may regress slightly to around 20/15 vision. That's where the lifetime touchups come in, they can go in, I think he said, every 2 years and re-correct it to 20/20 again. Very quick, she said painless, just "freaky" going blind (because they have to open up your cornea) while they did it.

In fact, she said she saw me better right off the surgical table from 30 feet away than she ever had with her contacts at the other end of our sofa.

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My wife has a consult for laser surgery next month. We've been looking into for quite a while, and finally decided to take the plunge. She is blind as hell and we figure the cost of the surgery will offset the cost of her glasses over the next few years. Everything we have read says that the surgery will improve your vision and the goal is to lessen your reliance on corrective eye-wear. We'll see what the surgeon says in a few weeks, but I will add the question about touch-up in the future to our already long list of questions.

15. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

My wife did it. She went from old school Coke bottle glasses to nothing. I myself am too attached to my glasses.

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

[​IMG]

Sorry, somebody had to do it :lol 

17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I had it done 5 months ago. Left eye now 20/10, right eye 20/20. Best $4200 I ever spent. I can see better after LASIK than I ever could with contacts or glasses. Of all the possible side effects, I only have one: a slight halo around light sources when I am in darkness.

I'm looking at my computer screen right now at 3:30PM, and there is no halo'ing. But if I were to drive at night, traffic lights would have a tiny color halo around them. It's not that bad, really, and I'm told that it may go away after the full 6 months-to-a-year. It just happens in darkness, though, and even then it's not too bad.

I do NOT have dry eye, poor darkness vision, or any of the other stuff you might be worried about.