Anyone getting tired of Science-fiction movies?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Yggdrasil, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I often find myself looking at the release schedual for the next year and all I realyl can't get excited for new movies coming out.

And I think the main reason is the fact that it's all science-fiction or super-hero movies, or something set in the real world, and quite frankly I'm getting bored of those settings.

Am I the only one thinking this? I love me some good SF from time to time but now every single movie is SF realted or has some SF elements in it and I think it's too much of a good thing that I just got fed up a little.

I find myself more and more watching old esterns, movies about knights,, dragons the thing I'm hyped up most for next year is the Game of Thrones series and so forth.

So I ask myself "Why aren't there more epic fantasy movies out there?"

Seriously am I the onlt one who thinks this? I've always been a much bigger fan of knights, wizards and magic as a kid and while I grew to like SF as well I'm sill sad that with all of this technology we still don't have more epic fantasy movies.

I love Harry Potter but it's more a mix between fantasy and real life. What I think of is more in the lines of Warcraft and Warhammer you know with dragons, and mages and big armies and kings and things like that.

Am I alone in this or does someone feel the same?

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm not getting sick of Sci-Fi action, not by any means. I think the fantasy thing might be because of a couple of reasonably high profile flops like Percy Jackson and The Olympians and The Golden Compass souring the genre, the success of Narnia notwithstanding.

3. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Have their reallly been that many sci-fi movies, that couldn't be classed better as fantasy or comic book?

I'm tired of comic book films, and adaptions and reboots - but sci-fi? Proper, honest-to-goodness science fiction? I miss it, honestly. The closest we've gotten recently have been a few alien invasion movies, and they almost universally sucked (as they almost universally always do).

And I'd love some decent fantasy epics, too. It seems these days the need to appeal to the largest possible audience has led to movies becoming samey, redundent and rehashed. I can't even remember the last time I went to the movies that wasn't Transformers related. I barely buy dvds anymore.

I hold out hope that the Hobbit will save me from this slump. I honestly wonder though - could an original fantasy/sci fi epic even get made these days? Or would it have to fall back on less hollywood productions? Maybe it's seen as too niche to do something like that.

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sick of sci-fi at all- I went to more movies this summer than any other year, I think ever.

I wouldn't mind more fantasy though. We just finished Harry Potter, which counts as far as I'm concerned, but I think a lot of other recent fantasy movies kinda flopped. The latest Narnia movie wasn't very good for one. Some movies just seem to go straight to dvd- Ironclad (haven't seen it, sounds neat), something else with Sean Bean about the Black Death, and a couple other medieval-based movies all just seem to go under the radar.

I think some of it is sci-fi has a lot more options than fantasy. Fantasy is usually going to be a go-on-a-quest-to-kill-the-dragon-or-dark-lord story, while sci-fi can do a space opera, a cyberpunk thriller, or a more traditional story with a different setting.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    No.

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Not really. (although it had its fair share of crappy sci-fi flicks)

7. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I want to see a return of the SciFi-horror genre. The recent The Thing prequel wasn't too shabby but could have been more scary. Plus there's the first two alien movies which were really well done.

You know what would make a really scary SciFi film? The Dead Space video game series. I have never been so scared in my life playing the first one and many pairs of pants were ruined during my first playthrough.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm actually more bored with wizards and magic and fantasy, actually...

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I'm far more tired of human/Earth-centric sci-fi. Everything seems to land on, invade, threaten, or visit our species and/or our little blue orb. Even the rare times when we get to go somewhere else, the objective still revolves around ourselves.
    Give me something like Star Wars, where humans are prominent but not the center of the universe.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I was sick of anything, it's realistic, political, secret identity thrillers. Sci-fi will always have a strong place on theatres IMO.

11. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I'd really like an out there film with no humans at all. And subtitled languages. Just to see it happen.

Stuffs gotta be happening out there, why is it only interesting when we're involved? They could have a lot of fun designing cultures very different from our own.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Pretty much this. The 00s was mostly piss weak for SF cinema compared to the previous two decades and i've not seen much so far to convince me that the 10s are going to be much better.

13. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Same here.

Although this is probably the biggest issue I find with Dr Who these days.

14. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Nope. Spaceships, mecha, laser guns and tanks are far FAR more interesting than elves,wizards, swords and dragons.

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    But thing is fantasy stories DON'T have to be about kill a dragon or a Dark Lord fantasy geanre can tell much better and bigger stories that just unimaginative talking!

Ever herd of Terry Pratchett's Disckworld saga? That's shit's bananas! It's wacky, crazy and fun as hell and if one of the best fantasy series of books I ever read and the two movies they got is really fun.

Fantasy worlds don't have to be about humans, elfs who live in the woods and orks, that just what Tolkien wrote and apperently no one wants to let go of it.

Look at Disckworld again, it's world is insane and imaginative and colouful.

You don't have to make it a usual fantasy movie, there are a lot old school mythos and legends from different contries that you can base a whole epic fantasy movie about. Look at say Slavic mythology a great unexplored whildreness of potential.

Hell fantasy world that you can create are much more colourful, energetic and fun than most SF world you can create but they take a lot more time to develop and flesh out in order to be good so people don't bother and just re-hash Tolkiens world with some minor changes.

World building in a SF however is much simpler since all you do is take todays technology and beef it up a little so look futuristic insert some alien races that look like humans mixed with animals/incect and bam a SF world.

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm fine with sci-fi. It's all the gorram zombies, I'm sick of.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In case you don't know, each Dead Space game had an animated movie as a prequel. They're both pretty good too. You could also check out Event Horizon. It felt very similar, though it's far closer to Doom than Dead Space.

I've heard great things about Discworld though I haven't read it myself. All the other things you mentioned are great, but can you find a movie that doesn't fit the general mold I described? It's far easier for a book to have a more interesting and original concept than a movie since it's a different audience.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thor seemed very fantasy based more then sci-fi

19. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll ever get tired of sci fi movies. They always capture my imagination and they usually have the best stories and characters.

20. Shelbo

Shelbo Hur hur

What I'm sick of is Vampires/Werewolves/Zombies...