Anyone getting/got Beautiful Katamari?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Liege Prime, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried to pick it up earlier this week but it was sold out where I went. So, I just went to TRU to look for 25th Ann. 'Joes- didn't find any joes- but I did find Beautiful Katamari! Anyways, that was on my break so I have to work quite a while before I can play. I loved the PS2 katamaris for their quirkyness, addictiveness, and fun music. As long as this one keeps that up, I'll be happy. I'll post my impressions after I get a chance to play it.

2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I don't have it but want it bad! I might go buy buy and xbox 360 just to play it

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This is one where I never really saw the appeal.
    But that's just me.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got it, loved the first Katamari game, missed out on the second one, and got my ass kicked in the PSP one.

I haven't played this one yet, as it is sitting in a pile with like 10 games (and growing) that all remain unopened. This time of year sucks because of all the great new games coming out that I feel I have to buy.

5. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do have it and love it. Some of the levels are pretty difficult (if your playing for points, 100 points unlock untimed version of level). There are tons of cousins and presents to collect. One of the best things about this new version is that there is no game stopping loading screens as you grow. And the final level lets you go from tiny to galactic in size!

And the first round of downloadable levels are due this week.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I NEED to play that.

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Nice! I loved collecting all the cousins in the second one and the presents in both previous titles (Any excuse to keep playing). I know this isn't everyones cup of tea, but of all the games I have, this series seems to pull any of my friends in no matter how into video games they are. There's just something satisfying about finally rolling up that one object that pushed you around when you were too small, and starting a level the size of a mouse and ending the level rolling up continents.

8. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I own the game in PS2 and I love it, so how's the music for the 360 ?

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy shit they are already coming out with downloadable levels?

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's the same kinda of crazy japanese techno non-sensical pop music.

I think the game is awesome. Mostly because I find it entertaining, but secondly, it drives me roommates nuts when I spend a couple hours occupying the TV rolling around a giant ball of garbage.

There is one problem though. The xbox controller sucks ass. The sticks are offset, so it makes controlling with both sticks a little annoying. Nowhere near as precise as it was on the PS2.

11. TreKain

News Credits:
    Actually, the new levels are already on the disc...you are just downloading the keys to unlock them...its a really cheap move, but then again the game is only $40 as opposed to the normal $60 360 game.

12. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't find it anywhere! :( 

On thursday, I'm doing a massive hunt

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Alright, I had time to play it, and... I beat it pretty fast. The game is definitely fun, but I think content wise, it seemed to have the least amount compared to the 2 PS2 titles. I was surprised there wasn't really much level variation like in WE Love Katamari (although I'm glad there is not more "Get one bear" levels). The music is still great, though. I also loved the last level, but I was surprised and dissapointed at how many stages were so short, meaning in the 3-6 minutes range. Also, the controls seemed a LITTLE bit floatier, and it was a lot easier to get snagged on things. I also felt that you had to be a bit more accurate in picking things up.

I think a big part of the lack of content has to do with Microsoft. Forcing companies to add Live content into a game is not always a great idea. Katamari is not one of those games I ever told myself "Man, this needs to be online". The leaderboards are fine, though. Now, here is another thing- this one costs $40, and while that is cheap for a new 360 game, it is twice as much as the first, $10 more then the second, and has less content. Now, what I am counting is what you get right from the start. The added live content, including the horrendous idea of "keys" to let you unlock content already on the disc that you have to pay more for, I am not counting towards content for the game, becuase in the first two, you got what you got right away from you initial purchase. Paying more for content is like getting an expansion, and I am ok with it if A. It is something you actually download and is not already on the disc, and B. The game already has comparable content to its predecessors.

So, while I would give the first Katamari and WLK about a 9/10, this one scores about a 7.5/10. If all the content was available right away, then it may have gotten a higher score. I don't know the situation behind why this was done, but I think this severely hurt the game.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got it and Crackdown. Recently Beat Crackdown so now I can focus more on my Kantamari.

It is more of the same old same old. Which is good and bad. Still same fun concept, but nothing really new is brought to the table.

15. TreKain

News Credits:
    Beat it, as in completed each level once? Or beat it as in got your collection up to 100% got all cousins and presents, and got 100+ points on each level. Depending on who you talk to, "beat" it means different things. And the idea with Katamari games is that they are built for extreme replayability. Anyone can go through the game and reach the goals on each level within a few hours.

16. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be getting it once it comes out on Wii in February. Can't wait to see how they work with the Wiimote for that one.

17. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

As a person who has NEVER played a Katamari game, would you recommend I get this one? I don't have a PS2. Or should I hold off for the Wii version? (there will be one right?)

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is a fun yet really bizzare game. basically you roll around a ball and things stick to it depending on your size. the more things that stick to it the larger the items you can roll up. I suggest you try the free demo on XBL first.

19. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Meh... this and the upcoming Banjo-Kazooie 3 are the only games I remotely want to play for the X-box 360. Funny how two franchises that started out on other systems are the only things that could draw me to that system.

I'll wait for my Wii Katamari, thanks.

20. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I meant that I beat and replayed each level. I KNOW I don't have everything and it will take me a long time to get everything and get high scores. That doesn't defeat that fact that game still has less variety and levels then the previous ones. There was always present collecting and in the second one cousin collecting, but this one adds the overall score, which is cool and all, but the main point to do that is to get infinite rolling on levels, and technically the first two had that as well, you just had to do really well and there wasn't a score to tell you how close you were. I will be playing for a while, but still doesn't change my opinion on it, but I don't think the lack of variety and levels or long levels is my opinion. It also lacked after level story scenes, which aren't that important but it was another thing lacking in this one and they were always good for a laugh.