Anyone figure out what the little bars on DOTM toys are for?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rapid_fire, Jul 4, 2011.

1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

DOTM Deluxe bumblebee has handle type looking things on his arms, Im not sure what they are fot. Crankcase has the exact same thing. I havn't gone up to check other toys yet, but they probably have them as well.

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 3mm clip point system?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They're for 3mm "clip system" weapons that have been included with several figures since RotF Recon Ironhide was released. The Deluxe class Starscream mold has them on it's forearms. Noticed that last night while transforming my Thundercracker.

4. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

It's for weapons that started appearing from the yellow box Transformers. They have weapons that clip onto those bars. The Human Alliance Basic's include these weapons.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

You're not a fan of Generations, are you.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Recon Ironhide was red box, part of the "NEST Alliance" sub-tag grouping. He wasn't even the last of the red box figures. Defender Optimus Prime and Mindwipe came after him.

And Scout-Class Skystalker was also red package.

However, those were the only two figures to be released during the red-box phase to have the clip weapons. There were a few more figures that were compatible, but with no weapons (Brawn, Breakdown, off the top of my head). The yellow box lineup, followed by Reveal the Shield, and Generations made much heavier use of it.

And AFAIK, all the HA Basics come with at least one clip-type weapon.

7. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

The clip-system is actually pretty cool. To be honest I've never "freelanced" the weapons until I did this...

[​IMG]

It was one of those features that was neat, but I just couldn't find a reason to swap weapons from one figure to another. Until it came to making a stealthforce figure - then Crankcase got Skullgrin's launcher and smoke-grenade cannon thing. In case you're wondering, the larger guns are from DotM Topspin.

~Z

8. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I stand corrected. I can't believe I forgot Recon 'Hide. I even have him.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i feel sooooo blessed that i did a little homework, spent a few extra bucks and got the Recon Ironhide repaint that came with Bonecrusher. he looks much better and i have yet to have any problems with him.

the clip system was genius, IMHO.
    like it better than MechTech's gimmickry.
    it's simple and near infinitely adjustable,

i know it's a whacked idea, but if Hasbro would release a 3mm clip weapons set at the $10 price range, i'd be giddy.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

mine CHUG figures are all sealed lol so I guess I never noticed before :p  Cool, neat to know what they are for, thanks guys!

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    There's a thread some place about the 3mm clips you may like to read. Hard to find these things with Search turned off though - I believe you can find things via google still.

Cyberverse Commanders have 3mm Clip weapons sometimes too. and DOTM Skyhammer has a few bars on him too.

Some toys have lots of bars like Brawn, Deep Dive, & RTS Lugnut. - Even Grappel has had parts remoulded to add clip bars that Voyager Inferno does not have on him.

Anything that is 3mm can take a clip though so you sometimes find places they fit on older toys like Energon or Cybertron toys too.

I like the 3mm System it's probably not quite as useful as 5mm but it is a lot less intrusive to simply put a bar on a toy than have to have a visible hole.

I also like how if you look quite a few 5mm guns are actually mini-con posts for the handles and not just blank bars so they can also fit on things like some PCC toys or Cybertron/Energon toys too or sit on a Minicon.

Naturally most Mech-Tech weapons fit on most Energon toys and vice versa too as both systems are 5mm based. for example a pair of Cruellock/ Doomlock tails make good landing skids for DOTM Skyhammer. or a sword for Voyager Sentinel Prime. also there was some unsual TF Galaxy Force Minicons that were remoulded with posts instead of holes and they can fit well on Mech-tech or Energon toys well to ; as well as the Cybertron toys they were intended for.

I would have liked one of those Blue Recon Ironhides, wish i'd bought one when they were more common now.

12. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!