Anyone feel the designs are going stale?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

The designers of the movie wanted to break from the norm of Transformers design and went a completely different direction. But now, don't you think those same designs are becoming "normal". The faces are becoming generic looking ROTF faces - just like how the previous incarnations had generic looking faces. Their change is now the status quo as far as the movie designs go. Spindly hands, wheelbots, generally same type of head design.

I know there are some of you there who might claim a big difference between robots - but thats what old G1 purists said about G1. To an outsider, all the TFs looked the same, but fans could tell the difference between Ratchet's crest and Prowl's crest. I just looked at Mixmaster and his head design looks similary to Brawl and also to the dump truck TF. Their faces just run together...

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I have to disagree. They've set up a style for the live-action incarnation of TF in the first movie, and are continuing with that now.

The Constructicons so far all seem to use elements from Bonecrusher, which might explain why there's alot of similarities in their faces and bodyparts. I think this has been done on purpose..maybe a way to connect Bonecrusher to the Constructicons in the story, or maybe just a fan nod - an acknowledgement that Bonecrusher is just as much a Constructicon.

The bike-bots all have the wheeled and skinny bodies, which also makes sense in that they are triplets in some sort of way, and might be able to combine.

The problem I think is that we've only gotten select information. If you would take all the new designs and put them together with designs from the first movie, you would probably get a very good mix.

It's easy to identify there are 5 new bots with wheels, but if you would compare, for example, Optimus Prime to Mudflap, to Soundwave, to Rampage, to Sideswipe, to Sideways, you can see they are all different.

I'm very sure characters in ROTF will look very much alike to alot of people, but personally I still feel there's more variation in the movie robots than there was in G1 robots, without saying one style is better than the other.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Considering that with the exception of the individual constructicon faces, I never know what to expect for the as-of-yet-unseen bots. In other words, I don't think so.

4. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    The designs used in TF1 were different from previous incarnations, I agree. However, it established the live action continuity's style. RotF is in the same timeline, it's right that their designs are similar. Another radical departure in TF design would, in my opinion, be unwelcome. We have a lot of new stuff in TF2 that is cool and pleasing and new while firmly being in the same style as TF1.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well that's the thing. About 99% of people won't be able to tell which Transformer is which. I've got friends who saw the first movie who can't even tell them apart.
    They ask me questions like 'who was the tank guy again?' or 'what was that silver jet thing'
    They were made to look genaric so that the average movie person won't know or care what they're watching.
    They're just watching the pretty effects and going 'OOO' and 'Ahhh' and that's all their is.

6. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    every transformers line falls into a particular aesthetic, though i admit the constructicon faces being so similar to eachother(there is some minor variation) seems a bit lazy. at least we're not being subjected to a billion in-fiction repaints/retools to create "new" characters. disregarding the comics of course.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No.

It sucks that I can't draw them 100% accurate from memory, though.

8. Bayless

Bayless Well-Known Member

i think the heads of the constructicons are meant to look similar

9. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else aside from me not felt i dunno, a boost of adrenaline from seeing the new character photos such as sideswipe and the twins? The first time around i got such a thrill from seeing all the characters designs, this time around, nothing has really out done that, their good, including sideways, but i still didn't get that same affect when optimus prime's was first shown, and i was kinda put off by the twins, sideswipe is great, but ive already gotten use to his mug.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me it is getting a little stale, at least for ROTF. One big arm one little arm, Wheels for feet, combiners, and two big Wall-e type eyes seem to be pretty common amongst many of the designs.

11. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    nope

12. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Damn It! I was gonna say that!

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    First they're too different from what some consider to be Transformers, and now they're no longer confronting, such that they are samey and boring?

14. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Unpleasable fan base.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    In this case I think it's more a single person trying time and time again to stir up a fight, hidden in the wrapper of a fine discussion.. just because he doesn't like Bayformers. He didn't like the first one, probably will not like the second one.

I have yet to come across a post by Superion33 that is not negative about the movie-verse. I bet he is even able to say something downgrading about the font they used in the subtitles.

;) 

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really.

I mean it's not like we had a problem with 80% of car robots being HOOD BECOMES CHEST transformation of everyday.

17. Bayless

Bayless Well-Known Member

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYUUUUUUUUUUMMNNNN!!! you got BURNT playa
    (just playing posse lol)

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'm confused....Why mY heAd hUrt?

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess sort of yes and no.

They have tried things like improving the choice of colors to help make it a bit easier to tell who is who and some designs even seem less busy than the first round of robots we got. But still it seems too much of overly busy stuff and parts just sticking out to throw more parts on the robot mode. The jumbled look makes it hard for a robot to stand out from the rest.

Seems like maybe the wheeled feet and the buck tooth were just added because they went too complex with the designs and now they are sort of grasping for anything they can find to make the robots stand out from each other.

Then again the movie designs just don't appeal to me on any level so perhaps I'm a bad person to ask.

20. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Thats kinda the point - that which is the new and radical change today is the status quo tommorrow. So this "movie verse" and their fans will become that which they fought against. Its just how things go.

Please stop making this personal. I am not trying to stir up a fight. Just simply stating my view. You're more than welcome to state your viewpoint as Poho did. Lets leave the personal stuff out of this. Or even better yet - how about ignoring me altogether? Kthxbye!