Anyone familiar with an EMG and how it's performed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChldsPlay, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I have a question about how it is supposed to be done for a specific location and can't find a specific answer searching the web.

I'm trying to figure out at what points the tests would be administered if it's for the neck and one shoulder.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I'm not familar with a EMG. There are may types of tests (MRI, CT, PET.) What particular ailment are you experiencing?

3. ChldsPlay

I had an EMG last week, I'm trying to figure out if it was done how it should have been done. It's a test that measures nerve function. Otherwise known as Electromyography.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :google 

5. ChldsPlay

Yes, I am aware of all that. What I'm looking for is specifically which muscles are tested when looking for nerve damage in the neck area. I had this procedure recently and am not particularly confident that the area they conducted the test would have produced the proper results for nerves at the base of the neck.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wish there was a snarky emoticon with a sign that said, "Read the entire first post before getting sarcastic."

For Chldsplay, I don't have an answer to your question offhand. In my experience, the test is conducted by technicians rather than the ordering provider, and as such, you may have reason to be concerned. If you'd like, I'll forward it to a friend of mine who may be able to get you a more concrete answer. If you could PM me some specifics--what exactly was being looked at, where the electrodes were placed, etc.--that might help.