Anyone experience a major career change?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drippy, Mar 21, 2007.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

If so, were you successful? Is it more rewarding? Are you happier? Were there significant obstacles you had to overcome?

I'm seriously considering starting a business in the next two years that would be a total departure from what I currently do for a living.

Scary stuff when you're the (currently) sole provider of a family with two kids.

To mitigate the scariness, if only slightly, I remind myself daily that

Thank goodness the only debt we have is a mortgage...

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I went from being a Chef for almost 9 years, to after surgery working for Customer Service/Tech support...

It sucks, really really badly.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I just started in my "career field" in the past few months after being out of school since May of 05.

I don't like it, and I think I made a mistake. What I want to do is go back and become a teacher.

But here I am. Signing forms, sending people back to court, and not doing a damn thing to make myself happy or help others.

4. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I was a poli sci major for three years, interned, volunteered...and realized I hated it. Changing my major this year to Communication Disorders. After working with kids for a year I think becoming a speech-pathologist or audiologist would be a world more rewarding than a career in government.

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I started as an electronics engineer and somewhere down the line I understood that the world of electronics is a wonderful place, but without me in it. So I became a VFX artist.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I moved back into the white-collar desk job scene a year ago and I'm very happy I did, for the benefits, stability and opportunities for advancement. I will be starting my own business too, but only part time. I need that W-2, just like Tony Soprano.

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Teaching is a noble and rewarding profession that doesn't get the respect or compensation it so dearly deserves.

My wife, sister and brother-in-law are all teachers. Believe me, if you don't have a passion for the kids, don't even start down that route.

That being said, you don't need a credential to teach at a private school. See if you can do a job share for the grade level you're interested in.

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Yeah, that's definitely part of the scariness. My wife wasn't all that thrilled, well, more disappointed really, when I told her she's going back to work.

Though she seems stoked if it's working for the new business.

9. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Yeah, I've heard it can be really demanding - but the kids make it worth it. I've taught classes in a summer job, working with high schoolers, and one of them emailed me the other day to tell me that it was because of me that they were able to stand in front of their college class and do a speech.

I was absolutely floored.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have a buddy who owns his own irrigation business. He's expanded into industrial machinery repair in the off-season. He doesn't have any health benefits, but unlike me, he can blow off work anytime he wants. It's a trade-off.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I am not doing what I want to right now, but it is a living.

You could try the new job and always go back.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Went from a moving guy , ( I dont mind hard work) but moving other ppls crap aint that funny in the long run. I applied and now I work as a correctional officer in a prison. Boy do we have some really nice boys, murders,arsenist,drugsmugglers etc etc.. ;) 

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Teachings fine, long as you don't molest the students!

14. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Not...exactly.

The firm I currently work for will not be here in 3-5 years (whenever the boss retires). I can either run (and own) the firm, or it will be sold. I'm not interested in working for another boss in this type of business and I don't have the passion or interest in running this place on my own. I suppose I could do a passable job at running this place but I would hate it and have to work all the time. I'd rather work all the time at something I have a passion for you know?

The upside is that if my new business fails, a likelihood, accounting positions are currently plentiful (have been for years and are expected to be in the future) and finding a similar job shouldn't be terribly difficult.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I lucked out and really stumbled into doing something I love before I'd begun another 'career' (I'd worked lots of restaurant stuff, but not ever with a career mindset). I freely admit I'd freak out if I ever found myself having to change fields. I don't know what I'd want to do, what I would do, if I'd be good at it...and so on.

Big ups to you for having the balls to consider it.

16. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

I used to work for a supermarket at entry level for 5 years. I went to school for abit but realised teaching was not my cup of chai.

I'm currently in a place financially where i can pursue a career in my chosen field of Art. I want to get into Apparel design.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I have 2 jobs. At one, I work with individuals with mental disabilities. The other, internet tech support, at the local cable company. I like working with the individuals, but I love working with computers. I'm hoping to make a career at the cable company eventually. Its a place I can see myself moving up somewhere.

18. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Sounds like the same job to me....

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

pretty much :lol 

20. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

I've been looking into doing the brewmaster apprenticeship for years and would love to be able to leave my factory job and start my own microbrewery/pub, maybe someday, but not right now.

I envy you, going the path of the self employed good luck with that