Anyone ever use a roto tiller? Any tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So basically I took up 12 abbreviates and dug up the roots for them. The ground is pretty level, and maybe there are like 6 inch's up an down. So I want to use a roto tiller to take up the dirt, then just level it with a rake/ho.

So the question I have is, has anyone used one? Any advice? I was going to use a rear tiller and just take care of it. the space is 12x50, so I figure it should be no more then 4 hours or so.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just used one in our backyard to uproot a bunch of plants. The biggest thing I can tell you is be ready for a work out. I was sore for two days afterwards. The thing will like to lurch forward so you have to be pulling it back all the time. Also, the bigger the better, as it will take you less time.

3. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Never used a rear tiller, but just let it dig in and pull itself. If you fight, it will be way harder than letting it do the work itself. Also, wear steel toe boots.

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    shit, I don't own a pair of steel toe boots. The guy was telling me they pretty much move by themselves and do all the work.

I am still debating on if I want to till or not. I may just use a heavy duty rake and toss the dirt. I mean, it is a sandy soil, so it may be fine.

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I used a push one about 8 weeks ago.

It was a fucking workout, but it tilled the whole yard(around 10k Sq Ft) in about 3 hours. It had a 24 inch mouth. The hardest part of the whole ordeal was removing all the debris it leaves.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    How long did that take? Removing the debris? I know I will have a shit load from the damn root system of the arborvitaes.

7. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The rest of the day, around 6-7 hours with 4 people doing it. We filled 15 large trash cans.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Dizzammmm....

How big was this area you tilled? My area is 12' x 50' and there is one person. Me.

Wait, I just saw you did about 100x100. So let's do that math real quick. Should take me about 1.5 hours of clean up. That is not bad.