Anyone ever read Green Lantern: Hero's Quest (novel)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by CripNite, Jul 11, 2005.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I picked this up a couple weeks ago... it's by Dennis O'Neil and it's an utter piece of crap. Some of the worst writing ever, and completely dips in and out of real comic continuity at it's leisure, and as no sense of self continuity (I've not even finished the book and found several blips), there's hundreds of spots where there's an over-explanation of something and just as many spots were there's an under-explanation. There's storyline facts about Green Lanterns that are just plain wrong, and even more facts that just plain make no sense.

I thought Dennis O'Neil was supposed to be one of the good comic writers, but this book is just utter shit. Has anyone else read it and had any thoughts on it?

I also apologize for being extra negative to a book I haven't finished yet, I'm about 70 pages from finishing it, and will finish it later this morning, but I was overwhelmed by the shitty factor and had to run to the net and post my two cents (ha).

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Is it just a GN or is it a collected trade of older issues? Haven't heard of this one that I recall.

And yeah, Denny O'neil is one of the better writers out there. Hell, look what he did with GL/GA: Hard Travelling Heroes.

But, like with any writer or artist, there's some good stuff, and some bad stuff.

*Edit* -Found this review of it.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

There is also a comic arc of the same name where Kyle goes out to find more meaning behind being a hero. he encounters Batman, Sentinel, Captain marvel, and Wonder Woman. It ran through the mid 70s issues.

4. CripNite

Yeah that was good. Here's a few of the glaring WTF's I've found.

-No mention of Kyle's girlfriend Alex
    -Mongul IS a cyborg and he alone destroyed Coast City
    -36,000 (thousand) Green Lanterns
    -Hal Jordon didn't go nuts, but instead had a vacation inside an Eden created place on Oa with a girl named Diana Prince, who is supposed to be the prototype for Wonder Woman
    -Rings don't work on Oa except when it has been dimensionally shifted by a Guardian
    -Kyle refers to Ganthet as "Gandy". Repeatedly.
    -Kyle has his body altered in order to exhale oxygen so it can be recycled in space.
    -The other guardians are trying to destroy the universe. Kyle fights other Green Lanterns in an effort to stop them. (So why was Ganthet in such a hurry to give Kyle that ring in the beginning in that pseudo-retelling of how Kyle got the ring in the comics).

The entire book is just freaking out there. It's like the guy writing this has NEVER read a single GL comic. But you know he's read them. You know he's written them. So there's just... no... excuse.

5. DarkAngelPrime

DarkAngelPrime Lawful Good

I used to like Denny O'Neil a lot until he wouldn't step aside on Azrael and let one of my favorite characters rot on the vine, ultimately killing him in the only thing worse than a meaningless death, a meaningless death that tried to take itself seriously.

6. CripNite

Oh wait... the explain the inconsistencies... in an inconsistency.

While traveling back to the Creation Point, Kyle sees an alternate life for himself, where he lived in New York City with a girl named Alexandra. Who he came home to one day to find her dead... in the refridgerator.

So... the part where Major Force killed Alex in LA, and then Kyle moving to NYC AFTER her death because he wanted to start fresh as it was in the comics must be ANOTHER alternate life for Kyle.

7. CripNite

Okay... so I finished it. The only feeling I had at the end was "Thank god it's over". Easily one of the worst books I've ever read, and from two standpoints: A) the writing was atrocious, and B)It didn't do much for me as a Green Lantern fan except annoy me. I suppose I'll stick to my sOOperheroes in the comic form.