Anyone ever notice.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BlackTrailerOps, Jul 26, 2007.

1. BlackTrailerOps

BlackTrailerOps Motor Boatin S.O.B.

That in just about every movie with aliens coming to earth, that they always go to this unknown planet called Earth. I've always wondered why we'd be an unknown planet. I guess its my "Hey we're Earth" ego, but if there was a planet in the galaxy with life on it that was unknown I don't really picture Earth being that planet. After all we're always sendin stuff in space to probe around and look for life and what not.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, think about it the other way around - we don't know any other aliens, right? Therefore, how could we be known to the rest of the universe?

3. BlackTrailerOps

Good point, makes some sense.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    The Star Trek series has some fun commenting on the fact that we did send lots of probes into deep space, actually. V'ger (from the first film) is actually a rebuilt incarnation of Voyager 6 (which, in the Star Trek universe, was part of the Voyager series space probes that were shot into space.) Also, a Klingon ship blows up Pioneer 10 in Star Trek V.

However, for the most part, science fiction writers - and film script writers - write from the viewpoint that all of these probes and attempts to contact life on other planets have failed, and that, like in real life, we know nobody else in the galaxy. As a result, nobody else would really know us.

Think about it this way - what if a new island was discovered in the Pacific? The islanders have known about it all along; it's always been their home for as long as they can remember. They've thrown rocks and sticks out to try and see if there are other islanders, but nobody's sent rocks or sticks back. However, to us, the sea-faring world, it's a "new, undiscovered, unknown island" when we find it for the first time.

See? Kinda works the same on a galactic scale.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Exactly.

6. BlackTrailerOps

True, true. But how the hell would they know the name of our planet. We don't know the name of their planets. For all we know they could come here one day and said "We've come to conquer NASA!" thinking that was the name of our planet. Or is there some galactic atlas that they have that we don't, because if there is one God should give us a copy.

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:

NASA's new slogan..."Earth, sending our crap into space for over 40 years"

Ops make a good point, as much as we would like to think we know a lot about space, if time comes that we do find out were not alone, it will not be from a planet we have knowledge of....until it is too late...MWA HA HA!!!

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    As for the TF movie, they learned it from the World Wide Web, as ol' Ops said in the film.

...as for other movies...who knows? I usually shrug that off as writer's convenience. I mean, if you wanted, you could dream up a scenario where the alien beings assimilated some of our language and figured out our naming conventions, but...I dunno. I just kinda figure that's an understood level of plot convenience that's not worth pulling one's hair out about.

9. BlackTrailerOps

Yeah, I'm not pulling my hair out about it, I just was always puzzled by it. Wondering if our planetary level of self-esteem so low that we are always an unknown planet. I was gonna recommend Earth go see Uranus and Pluto about finding a good planetary shrink because Lord knows they've needed one with all the hell they're given.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    :lolol  Nice.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I liked how in Invader Zim the aliens always pronounced Earth wrong.

12. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

Well how are aliens ment to know a planets name if they havent been to it before