Anyone ever have this happen to them (cuz I could use some advice)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Brodimus Prime, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    This thread's long, but for good reason.

OK, while I was in college I can remember a few folks who only identified me with Transformers. Some of them mocked or laughed at me, but most folks thought it was neat that I was a)so passionate about a hobby, and b) still very much a kid, what with the whole still playing with toys and watching cartoons deal. So for the most part in years past this sort of thing hasn't really bothered me.

I graduated this past year and now am an assistant baseball coach on the college level (hopeful of being a head coach someday). I knew it wouldn't take long before my players and fellow coaches realized I was a TransFan, afterall I monitor our study hall and have the damn Autobot symbol on my computer. The players ask me questions like, "do you go to conventions?" or "how many do you have?", stuff I feel ok talking about.

But this weekend we were on the road, and after the game I took my headphones off for a second, and one of the other assistant coaches was like, "I wanna know about this whole Transformer deal." "OK, " I said, "Like what?" So he asks how long I've been into them and that sort of thing. I told him the first toy I could remember was a TF (PM Prime), but when the toyline got cancelled I hardly played with them. Then when I was about 13 I saw the toys come back (BW) and got right back into them.

"You were 13?" he asked. "See, most guys discover girls around that age, and you're playing with toys?" I shrugged. "Never bothered me," I said. Then he asked one of the strangest things I've ever heard. "So, if you come across a 5 year old with a Transformer, what would you do?" I was surprised, but I said, "Probably ask which one the kid had and if he thought it was cool, and if I had the same one, tell the kid I liked that one too." Then he says, "So you would molest a kid over a Transformer?" WHAT THE FUCK?!!?! I was agast because this guy was actually being serious. All I could think to do was nervously laugh, say no, and go back to my music. It bugged me, but I still didn't think too much of it.

Flash to today's practice. The first thing the guy says to me right before practice starts is "Buy any new Transformers this weekend?" I knew he was mocking me, but I said, "No, but I got about 11 a few weeks ago." (BotCon) "Have ya played with em yet?" he said. I told him no, that I hadn't really had time. So then the other coaches walk up and get in on the converation. The head coach is a pretty good guy, but he too is a little flabergasted by my hobby. "What do you do with them?" he asked. I said that I usually will act out my own scenes or re-enact a scene from the show (think fanfic, only acted out with the figures). "I did that too," he said, "till I was about 12 and **he seriously said this!!**discorvered the hole between a girl's legs!" To which the aforementioned assistant coach responded to me, "So do you even know anything about that hole?"

Again, I sort of just nervously laughed and was fortunately saved by the players running up ready to begin practice. Never before has my hobby really been an issue with anyone. But it just seems that at least one person can't get over it and look past the Transformers and see me as a collegue or even as a friend. The fact that he and I are both coaches on the same team make it even tougher. I just feel like personal issues should not get in the way of being professional. It's like working with someone who's black and not being able to look past their skin color, or work with someone who's gay and not look past their sexuality. I'm a spiritual guy and have prayed on the issue, but I wanted to know if anyone else has ever experienced this sort of thing, and if they have any advice.

Lastly, I want to say that I NEVER EVER have been ashamed or embarassed about Transformers. If I cared about what people thought, I never would have kept playing with them or started collecting them. And all of you on these boards are my people, folks I relate to and enjoy being around, and above all respect. So any help you can give would be nice. Thanks, guys.

2. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Punch 'em in the face and say "you just got your ass kicked by someone who plays with Transformers". I know I would.

3. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

The ones that talk about women that way the most are usually the ones that don't get any.

4. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey Brodimus,if I were you I would just tell him to stuff it,it ain't none of his
    business what you do in your free time,and if he tries to start something,say like
    try to pick a fight,then just try another sports tactic of football and go for a
    fieldgoal,and aim right between his legs. I have had the same experience,and
    I ended up doing that to him. So from then on he had a serious attitude
    adjustment.He never said another criticism to me again.So next time he says
    something to you do that. Its just bullying,and they will back down if you show
    them you ain't afraid.

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Be yourself man, always stay true to who you are. Most people collect something, we collect Transformers, nothing wrong with that.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Personally that hasn't happened to me, I tend to be more quiet about my hobby in daily life cause I know it can get that kind of reputation... Then again I always hated guys only concerned about getting sex, seemed really shallow and superficial, not to mention insulting to any girl to have the misfortune of meeting them... Guys like that also tend to be really narrow minded, they only think of what they understand, or think they understand. Personally, a few ignorant assholes shouldn't matter, it's no reason to be embarassed. I pity people like that who toss their childhood away.

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't even think of a response to the statements made in your post. The only thing I can think of is that these are the kind of guys (assholes) that pick on kids in school that they think are below them and have now found an outlet in your choice of hobby.

I can't think of anything further without screaming so I will end it here.

8. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

It sounds like this guys' way of calling you gay,Because you're not one of the guys in his view.

"So you would molest a kid over a Transformer?" <--This mite viewed as harassment by his boss,especially if you live in a area where just joking about it can land you in the hospital.

I'd talk to someone with authority about it,and report any further accusations.
    Otherwise some of the players mite start following his lead,which can lead to any number things from graffiti on your car,prank calls and so on. And the guy with some of the other coachs mite falsely report you as a threat to the players.

9. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Fuck them dude, im lucky the people around me tease me for my hobby but i at least know that they are joking. Its definitely not right that they razz you for this man. To me collecting transformers is no different then collecting stamps, coins, bottles. And as for how you play for them how is that different then setting up train dioramas, or reenacting the civil war using minatures? Dont sweat it dude your doing what makes you happy, and isnt hurting anyone else.... how can that be wrong?

10. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I think the most disgusting thing I read there was that these guys were doing the nasty(supposedly) at 12-13 years old, talk about ewww.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm still trying to comprehend the thought process that equates talking about a toy, to molestation. That dude would worry me.

12. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus TFW2K5 Sailor

About the guy who equates talking to a kid about toys to molestation, and I'm serious here, a strong F-you is usually enough. Though I don't tend to talk to kids about toys, that's just me.

Anytime my shipmates start to razz me about TFs, I just tell them that I'm allowed to like what I want and it's no business of theirs since it doesn't hurt anyone. Or I tell them: "You like cars. I like cars that turn into robot. Hows that very different?"

Stay loose man don't let the idiots you work with shame you out of your hobby!

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just ignore him. You'll always run into people like that with those type of crits. A good way to overpower it while ignoring it is to always have a girl at your side.
    They can say all they want' but look who's getting laid.

14. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Iget picked on every now and then about my hobby, but most of the time it's all in good fun. I don't get the "you play with toys, but you should be getting laid" crap for the simple reason that I'm married. I'm also fortunate that I have a wife that enjoys my hobby too.

Every now and then, someone will still say something that irritates me a bit, for example my cell phone went off right in the middle of Peter Cullen's voice panel at BotCon. I answered it and one of the management guys I work with asked me if I was "at that Transformer convention giving Optimus Prime a blow job". Uncanny timing, but I quietly told him to "go screw [himself]" and hung up on him.

The number one thing that people like this doesn't realize is that you have a hobby because you think it's fun. When others make fun of you, it's probably because they personally have issues, too. Where is the written rule you must quit playing with toys and start chasing girls? Why can't you do both?

15. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Wow. Just wow and that's not a good kind of "wow".

I usually find that people who talk like that about girls to begin with don't usually respect them. If they're referring to discovering the hole in-between a girl's legs, then that just helps reinforce that thinking. In all honesty, the way they're acting makes me think you're far more mature than they are since they really are acting childish and really school-bullyish. The molestation comment is...is...is...unbelievable. I'm with Greyryder when he says:

Seriously, I agree with this 100% and I'd keep my eye on him and probably start carrying around a little voice recorder in case he tries to pull any crap.

I get crap about my TFs fairly often. The people at work razz me about it but they do so in a teasing fashion. Hell, the people at work that razz me are Trekkies so I can easily razz them back ("At least I don't send e-mail messages in Klingon."). Right now, I don't bring anything into work that shows I'm a TF fan since they've ceased caring and I don't want to annoy them...nevermind I have to listen about their damn hobbies no matter how boring the conversation gets. If they ever have a question about them, they now know who to come to for an answer.

The ones that really disgust me are the idiots I run across at stores like Walmart and Target. You know, the ones that prejudge you simply because you have a TF in your hand for purchase. Even if you're nice to them (like by simply picking up an item for them that they dropped), they still give a look of disgust that I'm a grown man with a kid's toy, which afterwards makes me wanna dropkick 'em around the parking lot.

You're best bet is to weather the storm by ignoring them (don't be ashamed because you have a collection) or find something to tease them about right back at 'em. What exactly to tease them over, I'm not sure since I'm not there.

Good luck, man.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    well seeing that were talking abt sports guys here, figures theyd the the jock/jerk types.

eh, live and let live buddy. do your own thing.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's fucked up. I've gotten some questions and looks for collecting before, but never anything like that.

As far as what to do: you seem level headed enough to ignore all the violent suggestions. That wouldn't fix anything, and would probably make it worse. And I might not have shared anything about acting out with the toys (picturing someone collecting and transforming toys isn't the same as picturing them marching them around and making litte laser noises), but it's out there already.
    Since your boss is in on it to an extent now, I honestly think your best bet is to ask him for a few minutes of his time, and be straight with him. "Sir, I understand it's not for everyone, but it's my thing. It's not hurting anybody, it's not affecting my performance, and I don't need any grief about it."

And if at all possible, find a dig at the assistant coach. Going bald? Bring that up every time. Divorced? Suggest it happened because he's the one into kids. But only if you're confident enough with yourself to pull off the verbal hassling. And never--NEVER--lose your composure or temper when you're getting grief. Just shrug and say "Fuck it, it's my hobby. I don't see why you give a shit." Also, if you're not seeing anyone right now, it couldn't hurt to get a good-looking female friend to stop by at the end of practice to visit you. Just make sure she knows why, so if they ask her (soldiers I worked with always asked my wife about collecting), she can just laugh it off and say she doesn't care.

"Molest a kid"...jesus. That's just stupid.

18. SFGMaster

SFGMaster Owns a Juvisy

'Typical Guys' like this backwoods reject are the reason I'm proud to be a toy collector instead of a 'typical guy'.

My experience wasn't nearly as bad as that, but I had a co-worker that apparently found my hobby to be unacceptable... I usually (almost always) have a few TF's decorating my office around, and I'll transform them or re-pose them at break times so that when people come in it's always a little bit different. The response from everyone has been overwhelmingly positive, except for this one woman that worked with us. Mind you, I'm the IT Director at the company I work for, and I'd provided tech support at her desk several times, so she knew I was intelligent.

The first time she visited my office, though, she sees the Transformers around and says, "So you just sit around playing with toys in here? You're just a big KID, huh?" in the most insulting tone possible. From then on, she never failed to speak at me as though I were a kindergartener and she was the room mother.

Fortunately, she's no longer with us, (and no, I didn't get her fired...) and we have someone who doesn't disrespect the IT Department in her position. I don't miss that at all.

On a side note, it's also been my experience that the people who are comfortable joking about child molestation or disrespect of women are also the people who molest children or disrespect women. Maybe you'll see this guy on Dateline sometime.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See... I'm an indeferent kind of guy most of the time and really wouldn't be bothered by any of what they were saying. Hell, I might even throw jibes back at them.

Like, in a similar situation, a guy told me he played with toys until he discovered women and "vagina". I responded that I, at least, get some while he apparently has only discovered it.

Sometimes you have to push back a little when people push you.

On a side note. Instead of laughing nervously about the molestation question... I would have looked him straight in the face and asked him what his fucking problem was. I mean, seriously, only a closet pedo could make the jump to talking about a Transformer to a kid to molestating the kid. :throw 

20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    tell him to shove a javelin up his arse.

anyone who acts like that needs a good kicking because there must be something seriously wrong with their life for them to act like that