Anyone ever had experience of accidently "buying too much"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Aug 11, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Are there days or weeks where, you accidentally spend over (or way over) your transformers spending budget? Where you clicked the purchase or paypal'ed and you were like "=.= I just spent too much this week, must save next week"?

For me there are weeks that, everything just HAPPENS to come out at TRU and target at the SAME TIME and then there are weeks were forum members have items are sale that are of GREAT BARGAINS, and then before I realize, I had spent too much... anyone had that happen?

How do you deal with it?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't set myself a budget, I just buy what I like.

Then, when I suddenly find I have no money I sell what I can afford to get rid of to recoup as much of the cost as possible.

I do agree that all the awesome stuff seems to come out at once. And it's not like you can just leave it til you've saved up or it gets cheaper because almost all of the time - especially with online items - they are sold out very quickly. So if you don't buy Transformer X for, say, $70 it will be $150 in a couple of months time.

So when five or six figures are released that you really want all at the same time, you are kinda held to ransom by the situation and have the choice of either buying or losing out (or paying way over the odds further down the line).

This happened to me lately, with Impossible Toys Arcee/Valkyrie, FP Bruticus Explorer & Munitioner, Takara Primus and Unicron and TFCC Punch/Counterpunch. Now with MP Rodimus also up for pre-order and Protector surely just around the corner I am panicking somewhat!

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't have a spending budget, and tend to buy what I like when I see it. For whatever reason, this happens in short periods of time, and then I can go a month or two without buying anything. It all depends on the release schedule.

I don't worry about the bulk spending during those times as I know the lulls will balance it out.

4. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Yes, I've experienced this. The experience is pretty much 2010.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buying to much is a good thing for me personally. It helps me weed out the figures i'm not really in love with for extra cash:popcorn 

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It helps me when my CC is limited to $300. So I can't get in trouble much at all. It just sucks that my "allowance" only $200 every two weeks.
    As much as I'd love to have a $5,000 credit limit, I don't think I could afford keeping it balanced and I'd be in debt. I hate the feeling of being in the negatives.
    What sucks is finding something you want, when you can't afford it. Then, once you have the money for it, you can't find it.
    Fortress Maximus is going to be damn near impossible for me to get as he's just too darn expensive. Saving him for last after I've gotten every figure I want.
    Being limited helps budgeting your spending.

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Such a great topic b/c most of us have probably been there. A while ago I really wanted a diaclone bad, so finally I caved in and bought the red skids for quite a chunk (like $200), around the same time that I accidently won an auction for a MIB Diaclone porche 935 and my preorder for Encore Bruticus was shipping that week. Then, to top it all off, i found a MIB lambor diaclone for $99 BIN on ebay, so I caved in and bought that on reflex (a totally stupid move that I regretted immediately after), all about 2 months before the holiday season. Needless to say I was happy to get the stuff, but completely stressed out for a few weeks about having spent like $500 on transformers right before christmas shopping. Somehow I got by though...

8. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Yeah...I went to Toys R Us to pick up a TFA Blitzwing and Lugnut, and came out with £80 worth of toys. And no Blitzwing. (I put him back for Universe Darkwind.)

And then I swore to myself I wouldn't spend any more Transformers!

...Two days later I bought G1 Red Alert and G1 Inferno. And then yesterday I bought HFTD Ironhide.

s-somebody stop me.

9. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Its totally why they call this stuff plastic crack, its just as addicting as cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. and its just as easy to be in denial about it. I'm a pretty new father, and I actually had a much easier time admitting that I drank too much beer with a new baby than admitting I was buying too many toys for myself.

10. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

Although I just started, I can see being comfortable with spending in chunks 2-3 times per year.

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    gawd, what the heck do I do to stop the crack?

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    going through it right now.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I came close to doing that in a TRU too. Went in looking for Countdown and Darkwing. They were out of Countdowns, so I picked up Darkwing... then I saw the Bludgeon/Whirl set, and I was like "huh, this thing's still out? It's pretty old by now, but there's still a ton of them here, maybe I should snag one..." Granted I already had the new Bludgeon at this point, but I didn't own any versions of Blackout, and thought Whirl was the most appealing of them... and then I saw the Mixmaster/Hoist pack, and I thought Hoist sorta fit in with Classics, had a great vehicle mode and colors...

And then, while looking at some Scouts, I realized I had over $90 worth of overpriced stuff I only half-wanted in my hands, and put back everything except Darkwing, still annoyed that Countdown was gone.

14. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ever since iron man 2 came out ive been sucked in big time....way too much each month and i keep placing preorders....ill never learn

15. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

This year is killing me haha...and with the 3rd movie coming out next year, my bank account will weep!

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    usually only happens in summer but

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've bought more in the past month than I think I bought all last year. And what stinks is there's still more out there that I want. I'm trying to space out my purchases so I don't overextend myself. I just keep telling myself, "They'll still be there next month... they're mass-release toys, every store has got 'em... they'll still be there next month..."

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yea i have but since I started using P.O.L. on BBTS the savings in shipping costs have off set much of it.

19. mechfiend

mechfiend Well-Known Member

So true.. hahaha. #2 is on the way for me so 2011 will be tough. I gave up smoking so I could have more $ for transformers. Beer purchases are down 50% as well. So much awesomeness coming out this year.

20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Um... I once took my figure to the register, only to discover that I'd left my wallet at home. Isn't exactly "buying too much", but... awkward.