Anyone elses XBOX 360 die after the Jan update?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by C. Wallace, Feb 6, 2011.

1. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Mine worked fine, I update then BANG! no longer reads discs.

It's and unmodded console, and all legit games. I don't even play online, just enjoy gaming by myself.

So, anyone else?

2. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I had some issues today with that, but i cleared the memory cache, and everything was fine.

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Disc drives are terrible in some 360s.

I had two newer "classic" 360s have disc drives that failed, one under warranty the other not. Its becoming a common problem but the warranty hasn't been extended to fix the issue. The official Xbox forums have a steady stream of posts about unable to read disc issues.

I got the out of warranty one fixed by telling them Halo Reach wouldn't read, my brother-in-law's was in warranty so I just pushed a repair through the website. MS was doing free "repairs" for bad drives after Reach launched and only if you mentioned Reach, not sure if they're still doing it but it's worth a try.

The repair, from what I've read around the interwebs, is just a bios update to certain disc drives. They could technically fix it with an online update, but it's less risky for them to have the consle in hand instead of potentially bricking drives.